Community_discussions_small  

Question

Contiki or no contiki???

15 Nov 2007 Nicole asked

Default_avatar
im going over to europe next june (maybe late may) for 2-3 months and am really keen on doing a contiki tour for the experience.. i want to travel all around western europe however my friend who im going with is not keen on contiki through italy, france, germany etc as we want to spend longer there and she thinks its a waste that u only spend 2 days in each place so she is more keen on busabout (anyone got opinions on that??)

so anyway im thinking now maybe i do a contiki before travelling through western europe and do the great britain/ireland one.. has anyone done it? whats it like? im 21 and like to party! but is this like all the other contiki tours or are the people older??

any advice would be much appreciated!
  • 16 Nov 2007 gracesc said

Default_avatar

Maybe you should think about doing a shorter trip (14-25 day tour) that covers all/most of europe and then you can go back to places that you want to see more of (since you are planning to travel for 2-3 months). The benefit is you might meet people on tour that will around longer too = extra travel friends! When I was in australia, i met people who were travelling around more after the tour & i wish i had more time to travel around & it would have been nice to spend more time with my new friends. Just a thought.

• 16 Nov 2007 Nicole said

Default_avatar

thanks for the responses!!

so u think the GB and S contiki will be enough to cover all of that area??

gracesc i was planning on originally doing that however my friend who im going with thinks its stupid to have to go back to places like that and to just spend more time in each place at once.. which im tending to agree with her now and reearching things to do in each place!!

• 16 Nov 2007 Michael_B said

Michael_B

I did the European Encounter tour a couple years ago and had a great time. The only letdown from that trip was that we were only in Germany for 2 days, 1 night. I really wanted to see more. However, there was plenty of time to see many other countries in depth, like Italy and France.

The majority of my group were in their early to late 20s, with the oldest people being a 33/34 year old married couple, who were just as rowdy as the rest of us! All in all, it was the best trip I have ever been on in my life, and would highly recommend it. =)

• 16 Nov 2007 Cheryl23 said

Default_avatar

I did the European Escapade last September. Contiki is good if you like to party, but realise you wont be partying with locals, just the rest of your contiki group and other contiki groups. Personally I’d do the bus about, or even better catch trains, you spend so much time on the bus. You don’t get a lot of time in each place you go to at all and some places you visit in my opinion are a waste of time, and where you stay is usually quite a way out of the city. Probably most people would be in their early 20’s. If it’s more inportant to you to get drunk every night, do contiki. Otherwise if you would rather see places in depth, do bus about. Hope this helps.

• 17 Nov 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

I know a couple people who did great Britain tours loved it.

I’ve also heard good things about Bus About, a friend did one and hooked up with a couple people to travel from city to city, his friend eventually married one of the other girls. It gives you the freedom to spend as much or little time in a place. You just have to keep in mind that if you stay somewhere too long, you might miss other places. Also keep an eye on your budget, i’ve heard of people simply running out of money half way through their trips in europe and had to go home early. If you’re on contiki all you need is some money for food and you can still see the rest of the stuff. If you run out on bus about, you’ve got problems.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.