Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Just Returned home from this tour

4 May 2009 Rheebie said

Rheebie
If any one has any questions regarding this tour or even Egypt in general feel free to ask...This was one of the best tours i have ever done and Sherif the tour guide was awesome

Hope you all have a blast.... Big Grin
  • 5 May 2009 Rheebie said

Rheebie

it wasn’t that bad actually..The “club car” or the party car was the best part and breakfast was literally bread related( bread roll, croissont, pieace of bread and a pieace of cake) so i hope you like carbs…the trip from cairo to aswan ended up being like 14hrs and the trip back to cario from luxor ended up being like 12 because Egyptians don’t really like to run on a schedule..Otherwsie it was awesome all round

• 7 May 2009 Explorer1126923 said

Default_avatar

How easy was it to get to the hotel from the airport? I’m just a bit worried about the language barrier!

• 8 May 2009 Rheebie said

Rheebie

Anonymouse,
    I budgeted about 1000 Aussie Dollars for the 8 days tour and hardly spent much at all.. Everything is fairly cheap with proberbly bottled water (at hotels) and alcohol being the most expensive. I recommend buying your bottled water in bulk from service stations along your way.
    People on tour- About 30 i think (great bunch too)
    Otionals- I did them all and they were great..Abu Simbel is a must..if you don’t do it you’ll regret it !!!!!
    The village tour was cool too
    group photo- the guy who took it photoshopped the sphinx in the background so that was funny
    NOTE–We were also able to do the hot air balloon ride over luxor. Its no longer an optional by contiki but if they have numbers it can be organised for you to do..it was awesome about $250 USD i think
    pyramid light and sound show cheesy and only about half the group went along but if your in egypt you might as well right???

hope i covered everything

• 9 May 2009 Nicole said

Default_avatar

Hi Rhee,

I leave for this tour in 7 weeks, can’t wait!! I just wanted to know how you paid for the optional extras, do you pay cash or do they take credit card?

Thanks

• 9 May 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

If you’re arriving a day or two in advance of the tour call contiki with your flight info. A transfer from the airport is included, though not guaranteed. I came in a day early and had no trouble, there was a guy waiting for me with a Contiki sign, he showed me where to go through passport control and then took me to the hotel.

• 9 May 2009 Explorer1123439 said

Default_avatar

Hi there!

Did you get an Egyptian Visa before entering the country, or at the airport? If you got it at the airport, was it a hassle at all?

Thanks!

• 6 Jun 2009 schroedie said

schroedie

just buy your visa from the window before passport control. the guy from contiki who met me, actually met me on the inside of passport control (scary though as in the us you can get anywhere on that side of security) pointed me toward the window and then told me to come back with the visa and he would show me where to put it in my passport. he then met me on the other side of immigration (which was interesting… a LOT of waiting in line where no one really pays attention to lines) and then showed us to the private transport contiki had arrived.

i got in a few days early but contiki still had hte pick up for me for free. they also had arranged a return to the airport as well. just make sure to call them with your flight info and they will set it up for free. cant beat it and they guy who metme spoke good english and we got to the hotel (about a 30-45 minute drive) with no problems. my advice would be to take the transport if you can… its free and reliable – something you dont see a lot of in egypt.

• 7 Jun 2009 anonymouse said

Default_avatar

Are there hair dryers on the cruise ships? I am trying to cut down on my packing…

• 10 Jun 2009 Explorer1132570 said

Default_avatar

Hi, how was the weather? Was it terribly hot? Also, what restriction(s) on clothing is there for women?

• 11 Jun 2009 mandyland said

mandyland

Does anyone know whether the hot air balloon ride in Luxor needs to be paid in USD, Egyptian pounds, etc..?

I am trying to figure out how much cash to carry with me and which currency would be the best.

• 15 Jun 2009 Explorer1123439 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys, just came back from this tour, mine was from the 5th-13th of June.

I was stressing about the Visa as well, it’s INCREDIBLY easy to get. Pay 15 dollars at the Airport and you’re done, they put it in and stamp it right there.

EXCHANGE YOUR MONEY EARLY. There isn’t much of a chance later on, and it causes problems. 300USD would be more than enough for most people.

Weather was hot. Damn hot. The last day was around 42 celsius. You tend to start very early (7am) so the heat isn’t so bad early on, but quickly gets very, very hot.

There are –no restrictions on clothing until the last day, when you visit Mosques. Even then, if you are found to be wearing clothing that’s too revealing, they have a cape for you to wear.

There are hair dryers on the boat and the hotels, but not the overnight train. But you can’t shower there anyways so it doesn’t matter.

The Hot air balloon ride wasn’t an option when I went. I would recommend carrying both LE (Egyptian pounds) and USD, as USD can be used when haggling in many situations.

All in all, if you are considering this trip, just sign up for it. It is an experience you won’t forget for a long time.

• 22 Jun 2009 Chilindrina83 said

Chilindrina83

Hi there!! Im thinking on going on this trip this next september, I will be traveling by myself, Im a girl and Im kind of worried about how secure is the airport and the transportation from the airport to the hotel. Anybody has any advise on this? Would be appreciate it.
    Thanks!!

• 22 Jun 2009 Chilindrina83 said

Chilindrina83

Oh I forgot to ask about the nightlife for this trip, is there any clubs or bars to go to?

• 24 Jun 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

There aren’t really any clubs or bars. The night on the train there is just the club car, on the cruise there is a bar/lounge, but that’s not formal. I suppose you could find one in Cairo, though most people just hung out at the hotel pool on my trip.

The airport is fine, it’s not fancy but I never felt in danger. If you arrange for the transportation you’ll be fine, otherwise the contiki documents should say how much a taxi should cost incase you don’t meet up with the local guy. For the return they will either arrange for transportation or the hotel can call a taxi and will let you know how much it would cost.

• 25 Jul 2009 jane said

Default_avatar

how much egyptian pounds do u think i would need for the 8 days just spending money not the extras

• 26 Jul 2009 renango said

Default_avatar

Well the true question is how much does Drinks cost at each of the locations?, Hotel, Train, Boat.. Beers, Wine, and Drinks…

Thats the true way to gage how much your going to spend on the trip.. Anything else you want, you can always order on the internet…

• 3 Aug 2009 CesarNYC said

Default_avatar

I took this tour last December and it was great. Its the best time to go because the weather is very nice but it does get pretty cold at night.

Something that no one has mentioned yet is the smoking issue. Everyone in Egypt seem to be a chain smoker, and you can smoke where ever you want. For those of us that don’t smoke it is very annoying, my throat was pretty raw the whole trip. On the train the buses in cabs every thing reeks of smoke, It took a week to air our my suitcase when I got back home.

The food was really good on the boat and in the hotel. Everyone got a little sick on the trip but nothing serious enough to spoil the trip.

I had cash with me and you can change it at the airport at the hotel and even on the boat. I used my credit card to pay for most of the optional trips. Make sure you go on the Balloon ride and the Abu Simbul trips, those were both just amazing. The only optional trip that was lame was the light and sound show.

If anyone has any other questions about the trip drot me an email cg2017@gmail.com

• 8 Aug 2009 jreamz said

Default_avatar

I am going on this trip Sept 18th. There are 2 of us going…both blond, American women. I am concerned about safety and being accosted on the streets. Also, wondering how conservative to dress. Are shorts (not Daisy Dukes!) permissible and tank tops with shoulders exposed ok? I don’t know how “conservative” one needs to be. Please advise…

• 9 Aug 2009 acfromla said

Default_avatar

Hello. I will be visiting Egypt in November. I understand I have to obtain an Egyptian tourist visa when I arrive at the airport. Since I will be arriving at 11:55 pm, is the visa office at the airport still open at that time? For those travelers who have been to Egypt and have arrived late at night, please describe your experience in purchasing a visa at the airport. I’m a little anxious because I don’t know if the visa office has “regualar” business hours. Please help! Thank you.

• 19 Aug 2009 LiLPiXiE said

Default_avatar

I am wondering if the Hot Air Balloon experience is still happening? I heard it is no longer an “option” but you can still go on it if there are enough people interested? Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, does this tour take you to Abu Simbel?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion