Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


MOBILE PHONES... advice from any english people?

17 Oct 2006 Rachel W asked

Hi! <BR>I'm going to be in Australia with a friend for a while over xmas and I wantedto get advice on mobile phones from people who've already been there.... <BR>realistically my friend and I mobiles to communicate with eachoother when we separate but using our UK ones is gonna be too expensive, same goes for sending texts home. So I was planning on buying a pay as you go simcard to put in my mobile when I get to oz. the only thing is, will my mobile be ok to take an aussie simcard? <BR>I'm on ORANGE in the UK and their phones are locked to all other uk networks as it is so am guessing its pretty unlikely it'll work in oz, but I just wondered if any of you know for sure either way? Also, I have a vodaphone work mobilee so there's always the option of taking that. <BR>I've rambled so much, I'll summarise what I wanted to know:<BR>1) do uk orange mobiles take australian simcards ok? <BR>2) do uk vodafone mobiles take australian simcards?<BR>3) have any of you done this?
  • Read the responses 14 responses so far
  • 17 Oct 2006 PinaI said


    Considering your Orange phone is locked to all networks accross the UK I would say it won’t work here either.

    You might have a better chance with Vodafone. I was with vodafone whilst living in the UK and when I came home, my mobile still worked over here so that MIGHT be an option.

    The other option is buying a pre-paid pack when you get here (including the phone). You can get them for as little at $99 in some places which is only about 40pounds and that will include some $20 of free calls.

  • 31 Oct 2006 rashers said


    Im having the same thoughts im on 3 and i know they are or have sponsored the aussie cricket team but does this mean they have a network in australia, therfore allowing my phone to work as normal, or close to it?? if not can i buy a 3 sim card out there?

  • 27 Nov 2006 LucyAUS said


    I live in AUST and work for Vodafone and i know that when a customer wants to use their phone overseas they need to have it unlocked before they leave. You might wanna talk to Orange about getting ur phone unlocked but there cld be a charge of about $20-$30. If not then i wld recommend buying a vodafone or telstra sim card when u get here and either hiring a phone or buying a cheap one.
    Hope this helps??

  • 27 Nov 2006 Daryl.F said


    VOIP technology, in theory, should work… but I wouldn’t rely on having an internet connection accessible. Besides, wouldn’t that be bulky to carry around?

  • 6 Dec 2006 Karini said


    Cheers for that post! I too am going to Aus (in addition to NZ and USA) and am actually on Virgin Mobile. Think I may have to do Vodaphone.


  • 7 Dec 2006 Mr Howard said


    If you visit your local independent (non-chain) phone shop they will be able to “unlock” your phone for you.

    If you don’t know where a shop is, pop into a Carphone Warehouse or somewhere like that and ask them where to get a phone unlocked.

    Once you have got your phone unlocked (should cost £5-£10) then you can use any sim-card in it. A good place to buy Aussie sim-cards in the UK is, they charge about £30 which includes AU$30 worth of calls.

    Good luck!

  • 7 Dec 2006 Undertaker said


    Unlocking your phone and using an Aussie SIM would be the best bet.

    I will be doing the B&R tour starting on Dec 21st from Sydney. My phone is already unlocked and I will be purchasing a SIM as soon as I land. This will allow me to make local calls in aussie on the aussie networks for local rates.

    To call home I will be using a long distance calling card.

    With the new SIM card you will have a new phone number specific to the Aussie network porvider you are using. Just give that number to your friends and family back home and they can call you too.

    The hardest part is getting your phone unlocked.


  • 19 Sep 2007 blonde_audrey said


    Hey, I’m from Canada and I my cell phone provider is Rogers AT&T, I was told my Motorola phone would work with a Telestra sim card.. do i still need to get my phone “unlocked”?

  • 26 Sep 2007 HD1712 said


    Hi i’m from aust and to help you all with this question this would be the easiest thing to do. Call your mobile phone provider and unlock your phone then once you land in Australia head to the nearest Woolworths, Big W or Safeway shop and purchase a $2 Vodaphone sim card put that in your phone and follow the instuctions and there you go your on the air and able to make calls and texts in Australia.

  • 19 Apr 2011 Explorer1245759 said


    hi Thanks for this sharing I recently unlocked my mobile by getting codes from Can try codes from this so you can unlock your mobile and use on some other network.

  • 22 Apr 2011 katie said


    hey im english and i live in Australia, i would buy a cheap phone and sim on the vodafone network as they charge 25c per text so if you get a $29 cap everymonth you can use this to text england a lot! the other networks in Aus tend to charge a lot more to txt overseas.

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.