Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Nightlife experience between Budget and Superior

29 May 2007 KurtNYC said

Default_avatar
Hey everyone! I'm having a dilemma choosing between a Budget or Superior tour, and I think one of the deciding factors between the two will be the "nightlife" experience, so I seek your input.

Real quick: I'm 25, male, traveling solo. I want to meet and bond with my tourmates as much as possible, and want to party a lot too. I'd like the majority of my tourmates to have a similar disposition (Age doesn't really matter).

I assume the daytime and evenings are similar for both Superior and Budget tours: bus ride, site seeing, optional events. But what about at night?

From reading some travelogs, it seems a lot of the "nightlife" on the Budget tours consisted of partying on on-site Contiki village bar, or playing drinking games in people's rooms. I realized that I would totally hate this, because I would want to be out partying in some local bars/clubs in the cities instead. I'm not going on a tour of Europe to party in some shack in the woods!

The thing is, from reading some other travelogs, it seems like the Superior folk are a little older, more couples, maybe less social and more inclined to go to bed somewhat early. I'm generalizing of course, but this would be a total bummer too.

So what generally happens between 10pm and 4am on a Budget vs Superior tour? And how possible is it to actually spend time out in the cities during these hours - given the camp/hotel proximity, transportation, etc.?

Any input appreciated!
  • 29 May 2007 Pirate Tara said

Default_avatar

Yeah, you’ve got to be careful with generalizing there Red Face<!--graemlin::o-->) I can’t give you any exact info because I haven’t been on a Contiki yet, but my sister and I are going on a Superior tour this summer…we simply don’t do camping and what not, and we needed a shorter tour because we’re from the US and can’t get a month off work (which of course sucks). Anyway , I am 24 and she is 22 and we’re looking forward to partying on our tour, so don’t generalize us Superior tour people Red Face<!--graemlin::o-->)

• 29 May 2007 seegs6 said

Default_avatar

I’ll be going on a Superior Tour this summer. I’m 20 years old and definitely looking to have a good time. One of the reasons why I chose the Superior is the fact that the hotel locations (in most cities) tend to be closer to the city core, thus making it easier to go out at night. The Budget tour camp sites often are out of the main city.

• 29 May 2007 skagen22 said

Default_avatar

I’m going a a Superior Tour as well this summer and I am a 20 year old, single, college student. I think the tour will be what you make of it! No matter what there will be partying and you will have fun!

• 29 May 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Kurt, from what you said about the differences between the partying aspect, you’re partially right (from all the travleogues and people i’ve spoken to). However, every tour is unique and they all have some sort of mix of people, so I wouldn’t pick one over the other based on this generalization. I’ve read some budget travelogues and thought, what a lame group!

It sounds like you’re on the right track with your thinking of what you want from a tour.

Generally the hotels for superior tours are closer to the cities (usually a reasonable cab ride or on a bus/metro line), but not always an easy trek back home at night especially if you’ve been drinking.

It seems the hostel they use for a lot of budget tours in Amsterdam is right in the city, while the hotels are a bit out of the city. But in Florence I was shocked at how far away the campsite was from the city.

• 30 May 2007 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hey Guys
    Just thoughts I’d add a little to this.
    I went on a superior tour last year and I would have to say there was a mix of both. We had people that went out every night into the city no matter how far away it was and others that preferred to hang out and chill at the hotel.

There was also a mix of locations. While some hotels were fairly close the city like Nice, Barcelona, Berlin and Lyon where you could walk or take a shortish taxi ride alot were really far out like Rome, Munich, Amsterdam, Vienna, Venice and Florence. In these cities there was almost no hope of partying in the city because it was a really long taxi ride away. Amsterdam and Munich took about and hour or more to get back to the hotel.

If this was the case most often we would chill out in our room and play drinking games chat, etc. We actually had a great time doing this and got to know our tourmates really well. It was really alot of fun.

I’m sure not every tour is like this and from what I hear they often change hotel locations for many different reasons so you can never really guarentee where you’lll stay until you actually start your tour. Our Munich hotel was changed at the last minute and it was out in woop woop.

I think whichever tour you choose you will make the most of it and I’m sure you’ll find like minded people that want to party. I had a great time on my tour no matter where we partied.

Also from what I hear alot of the campsites have some fantastic bars with great music and cheap drinks so I’m sure even if you choose a budget tour you’ll have a great time. It’ll be whatever you make it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 May 2007 KurtNYC said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the input everyone, especially regarding locations! That’s really the concern I have. I have no doubt I’d find a way to have fun, and hanging out with a bunch of Contikiers at a far-away campsite is worthwhile experience of its own I’m sure.

Having visited and now living in Manhattan, I know it’s a completely different experience staying here compared to outside of the city. I’m afraid going with Contiki would be like taking a trip to New York, but staying in a hotel an hour into New Jersey or Long Island. Fun? I’m sure. The same as staying in Times Square? Definitely not.

I realize this may not entirely be a proper comparison to some of the cities, but having discussed this with some relatives who have toured Europe on their own, I do know they were able to stay in hostels generally in the city centers. That’s very appealing to me. And if I intrepreted that correctly cdm115, you’re saying that the budget tour stays closer to Amsterdam than the Hotel tour?! That’s frustrating… I’d pay a premium for a trip that stayed in the best locations, regardless of comfort/quality.

Many thanks for the location breakdown Miss Janeo… even if it’s not always the same, that’s very good to know and something I couldn’t easily get out of travelogs!

• 30 May 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

The diggs for Amsterdam is 12km NE of Amsterdam in a straight line !!! You’ll have to zoom out 9x before you see Amsterdam on the Map … Good breakfast and dinner buffets though if that’s any consolation. Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

- Vic

• 30 May 2007 Pirate Tara said

Default_avatar

I already knew that the hotel for Amsterdam was 11 or 12 KM outside of the city, but how does it take an HOUR to get from the hotel to the city???

• 30 May 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pirate Tara:
    I already knew that the hotel for Amsterdam was 11 or 12 KM outside of the city, but how does it take an HOUR to get from the hotel to the city???

I’m guessing she jogged fast or used one of the many bicycles … Maybe she has a very fast ticking watch ??? Slow bus driver … oh the mysteries abound! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

- Vic

• 1 Jun 2007 NYcitygirl said

Default_avatar

Hey Kurt – Im from the city as well and I know what your saying , Im going on a superior tour in 2 weeks. Im 21 and me and my best friend decided that we were not going to Europe for almost a month to stay in cabins and help with the chores. Its hard coming from NYC and expecting every other city to have the nightlife we do. THat being said i would choose a taxi ride and a bar in a European city then a campsite bar (which sounds like it would be alot like a college bar) well those were my two cents Ill report when I get back

• 1 Jun 2007 rs6 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    The thing is, from reading some other travelogs, it seems like the Superior folk are a little older, more couples, maybe less social and more inclined to go to bed somewhat early. I’m generalizing of course, but this would be a total bummer too.

Iam 35 and going on my first Contiki Tour which is Superior. I may be older but I still love to have a good time. Also, my older friends at home party more and for a longer period of time than my younger friends. I cannot wait to hit the Beer Halls and the Discos!

• 1 Jun 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

rs6: age is not a factor. Unless you make it feel like a factor … as many have said, you make your tour how ever you want it to be.

Enjoy.

- Vic

• 2 Jun 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115
    quote:
    Having visited and now living in Manhattan, I know it’s a completely different experience staying here compared to outside of the city. I’m afraid going with Contiki would be like taking a trip to New York, but staying in a hotel an hour into New Jersey or Long Island. Fun? I’m sure. The same as staying in Times Square? Definitely not.

I would think of the hotel locations on superior tours to be a range of being in brooklyn on a subway line to being in Manhattan in an off the beaten track area.

Most of the places have some sort of bar in it too.

• 2 Jun 2007 GizmoKitty said

Default_avatar

I’m glad to see this here. I was looking to do a bit of partying, early on, and chilling the second part of the tour (I’m going on European Discovery 8/31-9/13). Good to know that distances vary, but there is public transport, and stuff to do with your mates.

• 3 Jun 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

On the European Discovery it’s more like the opposite way around. Amsterdam and Munich have good nightlife, but St. Goar and Austria are very low key. Venice is tough since the hotel is out of the city. So the first half is more low-key. The second week – 2 nights in Rome, 1 night in Florence, (Lucerne is quiet) and then 2 nights in Paris.

• 3 Jul 2007 jackieNY81 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by KurtNYC:
    Hey everyone! I’m having a dilemma choosing between a Budget or Superior tour, and I think one of the deciding factors between the two will be the “nightlife” experience, so I seek your input.

Real quick: I’m 25, male, traveling solo. I want to meet and bond with my tourmates as much as possible, and want to party a lot too. I’d like the majority of my tourmates to have a similar disposition (Age doesn’t really matter).

I assume the daytime and evenings are similar for both Superior and Budget tours: bus ride, site seeing, optional events. But what about at night?

From reading some travelogs, it seems a lot of the “nightlife” on the Budget tours consisted of partying on on-site Contiki village bar, or playing drinking games in people’s rooms. I realized that I would totally hate this, because I would want to be out partying in some local bars/clubs in the cities instead. I’m not going on a tour of Europe to party in some shack in the woods!

The thing is, from reading some other travelogs, it seems like the Superior folk are a little older, more couples, maybe less social and more inclined to go to bed somewhat early. I’m generalizing of course, but this would be a total bummer too.

So what generally happens between 10pm and 4am on a Budget vs Superior tour? And how possible is it to actually spend time out in the cities during these hours – given the camp/hotel proximity, transportation, etc.?

Any input appreciated!

Hi Kurt! Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> I’m 25 and from New York City as well. You should come on my trip- the Italian Espresso August 11th-August 18th. If not, some dinner in New York City could suffice.

And oh yeah, I’ll be THAT girl on the tour. Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion