Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Phonecard

12 May 2009 AP said

Default_avatar
I've gone through the search function. However most posts were pretty old. I was wondering for someone coming from Sydney what are the best phone cards easily available, or websites which deliver worldwide.

Also as sims go if I purchase an overseas sim are there any good ones based on what you've used that can be used all across Europe and calling overseas with decent call rates/sms?
  • 12 May 2009 Explorer_Vella said

Default_avatar

Hey me too.

From the research i’ve done go have a look at www.telestial.com/calling_cards.php I found them at a backpackers expo and have a friend overseas using it now….. need to ask them how it went.

International roaming is a bloody rip off.

Any ways tell us what you think?

From Michael
    European Escapade 6 July 09

• 16 May 2009 Megan said

Megan

Hi guys,

I’m from Victoria and I went to the UK at the end of last yr/start of this year and the phone thing was a MASSIVE issue for me.
    I am on prepaid here, with optus. Long story short I was not even making calls from my mobile (I would just arrange for family to call my hotel room at a certain time), I was just texting. And it was just getting eaten up.

So. My biggest tip to you guys is to get a UK sim card when you get over there. I went on my first tour around Europe for 16 days and mates on the tour had told me to get a UK sim card so it was the first thing I did when I got back to London. I got a Lebara sim card. My phone had to be unlocked, but this cost 10pound to get done (beware some try to charge you more, but dont do it for more than 15pound). Then I could recharge my sim card whenever all over UK (and Europe) and It was wayyyyyyy cheaper, I only recharged once!

So seriously, I would definitely recommend getting a UK sim card. As I said, I got Lebara, but there are others that are just as good, just look at the rates. Dont make the mistake ppl on my tour did, having $5-600 bills when they got home from their phone company!!

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 29 May 2009 Ali said

Default_avatar

Thanks Megan I’ll keep that in mind when I go at the end of june this year. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 Jun 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

hey Megan thanks heaps for that tip.

I have now pre ordered a lebara sim card from their website online.

http://www.lebara-mobile.co.uk/en/index.php

i got the one for 2.99 pounds as i dont need the credit on it just yet, just the sim card.

be careful though, i tried to purchase it twice as it said my credit card was declined even though when i called the bank they told me i had been charged twice.

• 3 Jun 2009 Mel said

Mel

go to the ekit website. the sim card is free with a voucher you get in your contiki pack. its just like a prepaid sim and works all over europe (and is alot cheaper than your normal sim card)
    dont pay money to get your phone unlocked! thats BS!
    go to your service provider and they will do it for free! dont know who would bother paying for it! and you also get a phone card in your contiki pack which you can put money on for emergancies.
    www.contiki.ekit.com

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.