Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Explorer - Too long?

5 May 2010 salsaatc asked

salsaatc
I'm trying to decide what tour to take next April/May 2011. I'm male, 34 years old and single. This will be my first solo trip. European Explorer with Greek Island Cruising seems awesome but is 35 days to long? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!
  • 5 May 2010 CanadianGirl said

Default_avatar

Hello – I did the European Explorer last summer with the Greek Island cruising and had the absolute time of my life and it was definitely not too long. You become one big happy family with your tour group and by the end, you wish you had another 35 days. Trust me!

If you want to know anything else about the tour, let me know. I had such a great time that I am doing four different tours this summer.

You’ll love it!

• 5 May 2010 salsaatc said

salsaatc

Thanks for your feedback CanadianGirl! Really appreciate it! Do you think the Greek Island Cruise option is better than the Mykonos Island option? What month did you go? I’m assuming you did the superior tour versus budget?

Thanks!

• 5 May 2010 CanadianGirl said

Default_avatar

Hi – No worries at all. Our group pretty much split in half with half going on the cruise and the other half staying on Mykonos. We were there around mid-July. Weather was warm but the beaches great so didn’t really notice the heat.

It was a superior tour and the cruise was great because you actually meet up with another Contiki group as well as passengers from all over as it’s not just a contiki cruise.

As for which option, it depends what you are hoping to do. I am assuming the tour stays the same so Greece is right after a really long and busy week in Italy. Some people really wanted to veg out on the beach for 5 days while others were still up for touring around and checking out the islands. Santorini was stunning and the real reason why I wanted to do the cruise option. Patmos, Crete, Rhodes all great as well and Kusadasi, Turkey was also an adventure!

Hope that helps!

• 5 May 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

You tour experience depends heavily on the group composition and how well the group gels rather than duration. Good group –> tour will be over before you know it. Bad group – tour will seem to drag on.

Vic

salsaatc

CanadianGirl, thanks again for the great info! Much appreciated and very helpful. I too have heard Santorini is amazing therefore I think I will opt for the Cruise Option instead. I will be planning to go in May 2011. Hopefully the weather will be warm and nice already during this time. Thanks again!

salsaatc

ptooma, thanks for your reply. Any secrets to picking a certain time of year or tour where the groups are likely to gel together better than others or is it just the luck of the draw?

• 6 May 2010 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Luck of the draw, however, most participants are on these tours to meet others and explore new places. So more often than not, “most” enjoy their experiences. Note however, that although this is a long tour, it is only a quick sampling of a lot of Europe. I would classify all these multi-regional tours as a taste of Europe, with the only difference in duration and number of countries visited.

- Vic

• 6 May 2010 salsaatc said

salsaatc

Vic, thanks again for your reply. I’m definitely looking to meet new people from all over and explore Europe. I have no question I will have the time of my life. Sampling of Europe is actually perfect since after the tour I want to go explore more of Europe on my own for a month afterwards. Hoping at that point I will know where I want to go and spend more time. Thanks again!

• 9 Jun 2010 Nic1978 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by salsaatc:
    I’m trying to decide what tour to take next April/May 2011. I’m male, 34 years old and single. This will be my first solo trip. European Explorer with Greek Island Cruising seems awesome but is 35 days to long? Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Hi. I’m also in a similar situation. I’m 32, will be going solo to the UK/Europe in April/May 2011 and was thinking about doing the Ultimate European which is 45 days! I was wondering how those who have done these long tours have found them? Were they too long? Did everything become a bit of a ‘blur’ after the tour was over?
  • 23 Jun 2010 kase_a said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys, Nic, i was thinking about doing the ultimate tour but now i think i might do the explorer with greek islands instead and then i want to do the GB & Ireland tour after it. I’ll be 29 and female and it will be my first solo trip. Very excited but a little scared. Helps to know others are flying solo too. I was thinking maybe around july/sep as i really want to experience Oct Fest if i can. Can’t wait to have the time of my life Wink<!—graemlin:;)—>. Bring on 2011!!

• 24 Jun 2010 salsaatc said

salsaatc

Hi Kase, Thanks for your reply. I was having a hard time deciding between the ultimate tour or the explorer but decided on the Explorer tour as well. From what I’ve read you stay lots closer to the cities and it’s more likely you and your group go out in the city versus staying at a campsite with your group away from the city and nightlife. Can’t wait! I’m planning on going in April/May. Maybe we’ll end up on the same one! 10 months and counting!!

• 27 Jun 2010 kase_a said

Default_avatar

Hey Salsaatc, I agree, I’m all for staying closer to the cities and the nightlife, what better way to meet new people and make new friends. I also chose the explorer over the Ultimate as the days I save by doing the Explorer allows me to do the Ireland and GB tour too. I want to experience as much as i can while im over there. We might just end up on the same tour yet – I’m really up in the air as to which months are best to go. Do you know when the new contiki book is released? 10 Months OMG it will be here before we know it!! Where are you from Salsaatc? Im an Aussie.

• 28 Jun 2010 salsaatc said

salsaatc

Hey Kase! That’s great you’ll be heading over to Ireland and GB after the tour. I’m going to travel solo through Europe after the tour and visit some places that the tour does not cover such as Berlin, Prague, Krakow, and Cinque Terre. I agree too the more I can experience while I am over there the better! Maybe we will end up on the same trip, never know! I was told that the months either prior to peak season (April, May) and the months afterwards (Sept, Oct) are best because of how crowded it gets in the summer. I’m hoping to go in April 2011. I believe the new contiki book is released in Oct. Trip will be here before we know it! 276 days and counting!! I’m from Boston originally but am currently living in San Diego.

• 9 Jul 2010 salsaatc said

salsaatc

Hi HelloNurse, thanks for sharing what your experience was like on the Euro Explorer. I am opting for the Superior versus Budget option and am going in April. Curious what type of group that will attract? Regardless, I know I will have the best time! I can definitely see how if may feel like you are spending tons of time on the bus considering 18 countries in 35 days. What was your favorite countries and why? How much money would you recommend bringing? Thanks for all your helpful advice. Much appreciated!

• 24 Oct 2010 Explorer1214138 said

Default_avatar

Hey Salsaatc. I did this tour a few years ago… and i was thinking the same thing as you. I thought it might be too long, but its Europe right, might as well see as much as you can. Yes you do a lot of driving and somedays it feels like you haven’t left the bus for days, but it is worth it. The crowds are a bit younger, but a little more serious about traveling.

I had gone in May and the weather was completly perfect for us. It only rained when we were driving and one day. It was awesome.

As for money, it really depends on what you are planning on spending. Souvieners can be expensive depending on what you are buying. I would just make sure you have a bank card and credit card.

Your trip is really only what you make it. As long as you are really ready to let yourself go and enjoy every minute, you can’t go wrong. It is an awesome trip and is hard to pick a fav place… Italy was amazing, but so was everywhere else. Just have fun and enjoy yourself!!

• 23 Nov 2010 Kaz said

Kaz

Im looking at that similar tour for 1st May 2011. Ive decided to do Mykonos Islands so that I have a few days break from travelling in the middle of it.

Ive had a few people express to me that the tour seems long but I want to see as much as I can in my limited time over there so even though the tour seems long I feel it would be just as full on as if I did it on my own with the places I want to get to in that time.

I also like the idea of the hotel/timeout tour because you can just disappear for a quite night or early night if you’re buggered, rather than sharing in cabins etc in some places on the Conception options.

I did the UK/Ireland tour which was 16 days. I tell you, 16 days disappeared VERY VERY fast. So hopefully this one will go a little slower but not drag on.

• 23 Nov 2010 Mayrah said

Mayrah

hey guys we are booked to do the European explorer may 1st 2011 with greek isles option…like what everyone said…each person decide on how this trip go….if you want it to be awesome then it could be awesome…and i know its gonna be….hope to meet u guys later!

• 26 Nov 2010 Kaz said

Kaz
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayrah:
    hey guys we are booked to do the European explorer may 1st 2011 with greek isles option…like what everyone said…each person decide on how this trip go….if you want it to be awesome then it could be awesome…and i know its gonna be….hope to meet u guys later!

Do you have facebook?

kaylenecampbell@hotmail.com
  • 8 Feb 2012 Charne said

Default_avatar

Its now 2012 and im leaving in May to do the the same tour with the greek island tours, how did you all find it?? Whats some things to do and to be aware of?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion