Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Cash or Credit

10 Mar 2008 Sony_Mouse said

Default_avatar
I was just wondering how often if at all we'll have access to a cash mashine, or will be able to pay by credit card (such as for the tours). Should I be bringing copious amounts of cash with me, or should some cash and a card be enough? Any thoughts?

Sonya
  • 10 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

What i did is brought about $800 in travellers cheques and then i also brought a credit card. As for debit machines if you are in the rainforest it is very hard to use the bank machines and they are not very reliable. So try to avoid debit cards.

Trina

• 10 Mar 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sony_Mouse:
    I was just wondering how often if at all we’ll have access to a cash mashine, or will be able to pay by credit card (such as for the tours). Should I be bringing copious amounts of cash with me, or should some cash and a card be enough? Any thoughts?

Sonya

I have to disagree with Trina. There are bank machines everywhere here and they are as easy to use as the ones in Europe and America/Canada. They’re all basically the same, I don’t know what she was on about!

Bring some cash with you but, other than that, use your CC to pay for big purchases (including your optionals) and just withdraw cash as you go.

TC, in my opinion are a waste of time and you might have difficulty changing them in small shops here.

• 10 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Well based on the experience I had doing the contiki trip, they were not readily available, and did not guaruntee that they would work. I brought travelers cheques with me and had NO problem cashing them. It might be no problem for an australian to use the bank machines down there, but people from overseas may have a hard time. That’s based on the experience I had down there.

Trina

• 12 Mar 2008 gracesc said

Default_avatar

When I did reefs & rainforests, I used my credit card for large purchases & would withdraw 500 AUS every few days (3-5 depending on nights out, buying lunches etc.). I didn’t bother with travellers cheques and honestly didn’t miss them. If you have the PLUS logo on the back of your debit card, then you won’t have any problems using most of the bank machines. Keep an eye on your funds & when you get down to 50-60 dollars, hit up a bank machine. It might be a good idea to talk to your TM and find out areas that might be harder to find a bank machine & plan ahead for those times.

• 24 Apr 2008 brad said

Default_avatar

hi! its like anywhere. I wouldn’t advise bringing huge amounts of money. It’s generally not a good idea to carry such cash. There is an atm on every corner pretty much and 99% of places accept cc’s

• 24 Apr 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Australia is like the US. I wouldn’t travel with more than say $100 at a time. There are some places that still don’t take plastic. I would only advise on a few traveler cheques as back up for those just in case events. They are a pain to cash and you loose face value becuase of the cashing fee at most locations.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion