Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 13 Feb 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Hello! I will be on this tour along with my friend and cousin. Nice to know someone who is coming on this trip. I am looking forward to a great adventure and tonsss of fun:) !! woo

• 13 Feb 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

cool! I am from Centurion in South Africa, where are you guys from?

• 13 Feb 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Awesome! We’re from Toronto (Canada). Are you travelling with anyone or do you know others that will be on this tour?

• 13 Feb 2011 Hussna said

Default_avatar

I’ll be on this trip too…It’s my first tour! Very excited =) I’m from NY, US

• 14 Feb 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Nope I’m travelling on my own, so I don’t know anybody.
    Hi explorer1227798… you have a name?

• 14 Feb 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

This is my 1st tour abroad, thus far I have mainly explored southern africa. I feel like sampling a bit of Europe now though, Italy, France and Spain are countries I always wanted to visit. So here I am booked on this trip.

you guys?

• 16 Feb 2011 Hussna said

Default_avatar

Hi CarlK, my name is Hussna & the same goes for me. I’ve been around the US, & a few other countries, but have never been to Europe, Spain, Italy & France are the countries that I really wanted to see.

• 16 Feb 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Cool! You guys speak any of the languages (Italian, French or spanish)? I can only speak Afrikaans and English

• 17 Feb 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

I went to Italy and France 5 years ago and loved it but have never done Spain, so I’m looking forward to it! My cousin has been to parts of Spain, Italy and France but my friend has never been anywhere in Europe. I speak a little French and just a few words in Italian.

• 17 Feb 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

I thought there was a good possibility that you would speak french living in Canada :o)

I heard that the most Italians simply do not speak english. I wonder if I should get some lessons for italian… or sign language.

• 16 Mar 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Heyyyy! So I’m going on the Mediterranean highlights trip on may 9th of this year!!! Is this what y’all are talking about?? I’m going alone, first time ever away from home, freaking out a bit! My name is Elysia, 19, from Vancouver, Canada!!! Hope to hear from you guys soon! xo

• 22 Mar 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey everyone! I’m Holly, I’m 27 from Waterloo, ON, Canada and I’ll be on this trip too! Can’t wait!
    Carl, looking forward to meeting someone from South Africa! (and also glad I’m not the oldest one on the trip, was kinda worried about that! lol) I have never been to SA or met anyone from there…I hear they have a wicked jazz scene…isn’t Dave Matthews from there or something?
    Elysia, no worries, it’ll be a blast! If you search for packing list in the articles section on this site theres a good response that will help. It’s gonna be hard deciding what clothes to pack! I’m so bad at making outfits and esp when i have to be able to mix-and-match pieces too! Ah well…
    Carl, in response to your question about languages, I speak french (although its rusty as it’s been a while) and spanish (pretty good since I just learned it in uni), though I don’t know any italian, though I LOVE learning new languages so I’m planning on picking up a book of conversational italian and learning a few key phrases!
    Excited to meet you all! If anyone wants to chat on facebook feel free to look me up! My full name is Holly Bradich.
    Can’t wait for some awesome adventures and crazy nights out! Parrrtay! Whoo! :D

• 24 Mar 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Heyy Holly! Thanks for the tip! But I totally checked out the articles on packing and im still confused. I’m big on fashion, so packing might be a hard time for me hahah. Anyway i’m suuper excited that there are more people from Canada! Can’t wait to meet you all! I’m going to add you up on FB (Holly) if you don’t mind! Im just super excited to see the historic sites and dig in to the foood with you guys (yum!) and to go out clubbing! Right now I couldn’t be more stressed, I have finals coming up, and then I leave for this trip! Plus I have work so its all just getting really overwhelming but I know once I’m on this trip I wont worry about any of it! Can’t wait! 39 more days! hahaha xoxo

• 26 Mar 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Is anyone else on this trip gluten free? I’m kinda stressin about what I’ll be able to eat…think I’ll end up bringing a bunch of food with me lol!
    Is anyone else going a day early? I am…thought it would be good so i can catch up on my sleep etc but kinda worried bout bein there alone for a day, although the travel agent assured me that lots of people on Contiki tours go a day early so i probably woudn’t be the only one….

• 27 Mar 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

I’m going to be there in late afternoon the day before…my travel agent told me everyone goes a day before too haha. And gluten free???? Doesn’t that mean no pasta!?

• 28 Mar 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Awesome! we can see some sights n stuff the day before! Glad i know someone that will be there early :)
    Yeah unfortunately gluten free means no pasta for me…and i LOVE pasta! Mmm carbs! unless they have gluten free pasta for me but yeah…no baguettes, pastries etc either…but thats ok im sure i’ll survive! I’m gonna pack a bunch of stuff like gluten free crackers :) I’m totally looking forward to real gelato, tapas, cheese and of course wine though! yummo!

• 28 Mar 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

I’m super exited for all the food too! Just don’t hate me if I stuff my face cause i’m going there to try everythiiing. Have you reserved the room for the extra night already? My reservation is pending apparently they only book one month before my travel agent said so i reaaalllyy hope I get a room hahah. I’m sure I will though.

• 2 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Ola, i’ve thought this was a dead discussion since I haven’t received notifications for a while.
    Holly, south africa does have a good jazz scene and Dave matthews is also from south africa, so you got that right. I am a bit surprized that you know SA for its jazz and musicians, I’m used to have assosiations of “Apartheid” and “Nelson Mandela” and “World cup soccer” and “big five game” etc.

I think I’m a bit phrenologically challenged, so learning new languages in such a short time is not going to be my forte. And now that you mention it… I haven’t even thought about the foods there yet! It is going to be awesome! And finally I will be able to taste whether french (or european) red wines are better than those from RSA. Now I’m really looking forward this tripe and to meeting you all face to face

PS. I don’t mind being the oldest as long as no one expects me to babysit :o)

• 2 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey Carl, well the reason I know more about the music scene and less about the other things SA is famous for is because I don’t really follow politics (i know, its bad)…well i know the basics of whats going on down there (and the history behind it) but yeah….I’m not into sports either…I’m more artsy..music is my life…only knew that about SA because I just took a jazz course last term in university but it was super interesting to learn about the origins of jazz! I’m pumped to hear some flamenco guitar in spain (hopefully!) my friend is a professional flamenco guitarist and it really moves me..flamenco dancing is amazing too!
    Haha no worries about babysitting me, I’m totally a responsible drunk…I’m usually the one who has to babysit my friends! (theres always someone that doesn’t know their limit eh?)
    I hear ya, I’m totally pumped for the wine! I only drink white though…can’t stand the taste of red..plus I’m prone to migraines and I hear its a trigger for them!
    Elysia, no worries you can gorge on pasta and bread and all the gluten you can find, it doesn’t bother me. :) It used to when I first started the diet but I’m over it now. I’m doing some research right now to see if there are any health food stores (that would carry gluten free goodies) in the cities we’re going too. Also gotta make sure I learn how to ask if theres gluten in something in all 3 languages! lol
    Since I’m unemployed and have lots of time on my hands I’m gonna try to learn as much italian (and brush up on spanish and french) as much as possible…im TOTALLY gonna be that touristy-chick with the language book up trying to talk to the locals and they are prob gonna be like, “WTF?! he’s not making any sense!” haha
    Countdown is on! 35 days!! :D

• 2 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hahaha Holly, I only drink white wine too! Red doesn’t taste as good to me. But I’ve heard the wine there is cheaper than bottles water! My only problem is that I’ll have one glass and ill be tipsy, so im not excited for that. I just don’t drink much anyway.

Also, Carl, I’m, sorry but I’m obsessed with soccer, and I’m studying politics so SA is huuuge for me. Don’t be mad if I don’t shut up about politics…it’s my lifeeee hahahah.

ps: should I bring a hair straightener? Or should I just not bother and let my crazy curly hair loose. I straighten it every day, but I have a feeling we wont have the time ;)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.