Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 2 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Yeah I’ve heard the wine is like 3 euros or whatever…crazy! I hear you though, I totally get tipsy off one glass too! I can usually handle a decent amout of drinks (as long as its not wine) but I think i’m gonna take it easy on the trip I definately don’t want to have a hangover and miss anything!
    I’m bringing my straigthener for sure..days when I don’t have time I’ll just leave it wavy but it’d be nice to straigthen it when we have time (my hair is so thick so its hard to control it when its wavy unless I put like 10lbs of products in it…otherwise its like an afro lol!)

• 2 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

ohh my gosh that’s the exact same as me!! I have like horse hair haha. ok so maybe i will bring mine and if we have a chill time i’ll straighten it. and yea i totally want to party on this trip and go out and have a good time, but i’m not keen on ever really getting drunk. i don’t normally because I like to remember things and be alert…especially when we’re in europe hahah. and you’re totally right, there’s no way I want a hangover when we’re going to see so many amazing sights the next morn!

• 2 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

ohh my gosh that’s the exact same as me!! I have like horse hair haha. ok so maybe i will bring mine and if we have a chill time i’ll straighten it. and yea i totally want to party on this trip and go out and have a good time, but i’m not keen on ever really getting drunk. i don’t normally because I like to remember things and be alert…especially when we’re in europe hahah. and you’re totally right, there’s no way I want a hangover when we’re going to see so many amazing sights the next morn!

• 2 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Holly, only white wine? oh well, I’m sure someone on the trip will share a lekker pinotage or cab with me. I used to drink white wines, but since developing the taste for reds I have lost interest in it. Although a nice chenin or savignon to go with a fish dish is not to be shunned.

It might help to learn the word for gluten in the three languages, but you might want to learn the phrases to explain it as well… if you asked me in afrikaans whether the food has gluten in it I would not know what youre talking about. Gluten, gluten… probably something like “glutoon” in afrikaans (pronounced: plegm-loo-twin).

Elysia, you’re welcome to discuss politics with me and I will share what I (think I) know.The soccer though is something that I will not be able to share.

• 3 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Yay for white wine! Yeah I’ve heard a bottle is like 3 euros or something…awesome! Same..I get drunk off one glass too so I just gotta take it slow….thats why I like wine spritzers, dilutes it a bit! Yeah I can usually handle a decent amount of mixed drinks etc but I don’t want to push it…don’t wanna have a hangover on the trip and miss anything!
    Yeah I’m bringing my hair straigthener…I’ll wear it wavy some days but for me wearing it wavy (at least the first day) is a lot of work…my hair is so damaged and thick it easily becomes an afro unless i pile on the products lol! i’m sure we’ll have time at some point to straighten it though….what kind of straigthener do you have? Mines really old and not the greatest…I want one that heats up to like 400 or something but seeing as I have no job not really an option…I’ve been doing a bit of shopping for some clothes for the trip, trying to stick to a budget though…all about the clearance racks! lol Do you know of anywhere that sells cute, cheap raincoats? They’re soo hard to find unless you get one from like a sporting store and then they’re like at least $100! bah!

• 3 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

I knoww, raincoats are super expensive, I got a really good one it was regularly like 200$ but I got it clearance hahah. i guess you just have to look. Do u have Winners where you live? lots of good stuff and super cheap, you just have to search. and my straightener is a Chi one, I don’t know how much it heats up to, but it sill takes me a solid 30 minutes to straighten my hair :( i guess i’ll just do the same and wear it wavy some days (with 10 pounds of anti-frizz product) omg i hope the air isn’t humid there. hahahaha. im not going to bring a blowdryer though so this may make straightening it more difficult :( anyway I went to the sale section at the Bay and found a bunch of cute spring clothes – cropped tops, shorts, etc. i hope its not cold there!

• 3 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

OMG I’m so blonde I totally posted twice about wine etc cuz I couldnt see my post, thought it didn’t go through but theres a second page lol!
    Yeah we have Winners, i’ll definately have to check it out! But I find the stuff there is still pretty pricey though..I’m on a tight budget (just weekly allowance from daddy since i dont have a job yet lol!) so i was hoping to only spend like $40 max on a raincoat which is proving to be difficult!
    What kind of anti-frizz product do you use? I’ve tried everything and the best thing I’ve found is to use a curl activator spray (John Frieda) then some mousse and then tons of Biosilk (contains silk, silicone and oils) it kinda weighs it down and can look a bit greasy if you use too much but its the only thing that seems to work for me!
    It shouldn’t be too humid since it’s not summer there yet. Ave temp should be around 22 (thats what I found on the weather almanac sites linked here on contiki) and about 10 at night.
    I’m bringing a travel size blowdryer…I always take one when i go somewhere…to straighten my hair but also cuz i use it to heat up my eyelash curler to curl my eyelashes cuz they are dead straight and blonde lol so no worries you can always borrow mine!
    I wanna go swimming…im hoping some of the hotels have pools although if its only 22 might not be quite warm enough…unless its heated of course…

• 3 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

hahaha aww yea the second page thing confused me so much! and yea 40$ on a raincoat might be a little difficult, but yeah try winners and see what they have. anyway i use Moroccan Oil on my hair, its this super think oil stuff you just put a little in your hair and on the tips (cause i have really bad split ends), and it totally smooths it down without making it greasy! and it’s legit from Morocco hahaha. I’ve never tried Biosilk before, but I realllyy do love John Freida Frizz-Ease products, those seem to do the closest to a good job without looking greasy. And ughhh only 22 degrees!? That’s annoying. Now I don’t know whether I should bring a beach towel and bikini, its just going to take up room, but I don’t wanna miss out if a bunch of people go swimming. It will probs be too cold anyway for the beaches in Spain, and i don’t think all our hotels have heated pools, although that would be nice…

• 3 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Yeah I’ve used Moroccan oil…wasnt a huge fan..plus apparently it discolours blonde hair so yeah…
    I would def bring a bikini and towel just in case cuz you never know…crazy mother nature…for instance today we are getting pounded with snow and its thundering when only yesterday it was 9 and sunny! WTF?! lol
    How come I can’t post on your wall on facebook? Do you have it disabled? Saw that you’re single now…we’re gonna find you some hot european guys! whoo! lol
    Also saw that you speak spanish and italian thats awesome! We can speak spanish together and maybe you can help me out with italian i want to learn the basics for the trip :)

Wow, Carl, you seem to be quite the wine conneseur! I only started drinking it about a year ago so I don’t know much about it but would love to learn! And yes, I agree I should learn how to describe gluten not just learn to say no gluten please lol …one good thing is I’ve been eating these crackers etc from this brand called Schar apparently its Europes #1 gluten free brand so hoping they have it somewhere there!

• 4 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Yeaa i guess youre right about the weather thing, u just never know i guess. And ughhh i think i do have it didabled, ppl have been telling me, ill fix it tmrw. And girl youre so rught, euro guys aaalll the way! Hahah not like ill do anything with them but itsnice to look! Hahah ill admire from afar. And yess im taking spanish at school but im finding it difficult…anyway we can practice there..and i understand italian because i am half!! Hahah

• 4 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Yeah same…since I have a bf obviously not gonna do anything with euro guys but will def be nice to look! ;)
    I took 2 terms of spanish in uni i found it pretty easy….maybe cuz i did french emersion and its quite similar to spanish or maybe cuz im just a natural at learning languages lol! But no worries I can help you out! :) I’m tryin to brush up before I go, haven’t used it in a while. We also have to know how to ask them to SLOW DOWN cuz I can understand french and spanish but not when theyre talking a mile a minute! haha

• 4 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

hahah yess we for sure need to ask them to slow down…but i think i need to because whenever i talk i speak a mile a minute, and since i don’t know how much english people in europe know, i have to remember to slow it down!! ps: apparently they eat dinner at like 10pm in soain..just sayin…thats going to be difficult for me hahaha

• 12 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

Hi there! I’m from Edmonton, Canada. My roommate and I are also on this trip! We’ll be in Rome a couple of days early as we’re planning on doing a tour of Pompeii before the Contiki tour starts. Super stoked to meet everyone!

• 12 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hey girl! Nice to know there are more Canadians woo! Can’t wait to meet everyonee! And I’m going early too, first to London, then to Rome the day before the trip starts!

• 12 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Hey! Didn’t realize there was a second page to this haha. Aboutt the flat irons, everyone I know (including myself) has broke the flat iron when trying to use it in italy. Something about converting the volts messes things up. I bought a travel converter today at best buy because it said it’s good for hair dyers and travel irons but then i went on the website and they all say “NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE WITH HAIR STRAIGHTENERS OR ANY ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED HEATING DEVICE” so I have no idea what to do and I desperate require my flat iron lol. So if any of you know someone who has actually used their flat iron in europe, it would be such a great help if you can find out the brand of the travel converter they used! Thanks so much!! Can’t wait to see everyone in just a few short weeks!

• 12 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey Avmarie! Another fellow Canadian, awesome! I’m from Waterloo, ON. I’m arriving early in rome too..just one day…im sure you and you roomie will have a blast on your pompeii tour! You’ll have to tell us all about it! Do you speak any other languages? I speak french and spanish and am slowly learning some conversational italian….hoping to put them to use on the tour at some point!
    Sarah that is definately not good news! I will check with my sister she did a contiki euro tour 2 yrs ago and she loaned me her electrical outlet converter things…ill ask if she had any problems cuz im sure she took her straightener… we both can’t live without one! And I reallly can’t afford to break the one i have…don’t have a job right now so can’t really replace it lol!

• 12 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

I just realized I didn’t mention that my name is Avril! Feel free to call me Av :) I actually just finished my BA through a French campus, so I’d say that I am pretty fluent! haha. Sadly my written French is much better than my spoken French. I took Spanish ages ago, but highly doubt I could carry on a conversation!

As for everyone’s questions regarding flat irons, from what I have heard, a lot of people just buy a flat iron once they get to Europe. Apparently North American flat irons don’t fare too well overseas. With that said, ghd flat irons are supposed to have universal voltage so they can adapt to work anywhere. I think you can buy them at Sephora…? Hopefully that helps.

elysiaxoxo

Hey girlies, I’m totally confused now about the straightener thing hahaha. I know which ones your talking Av, about from Sephora, but they’re expensive. Mine is a CHI, so like Holly, I really can’t afford to blow mine up! I might just buy one there I guess, if they’re reasonable. But then I’ll need a blowdryer too! Ughhhh. I have horse hair so a baby sized travel one may just not cut it hahaha. Oh well, still 3 more weeks to think about it!!

• 12 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

I spoke to friends of mine that did Florence and Rome a while ago. They recommend taking a 1 litre container for wine. The vats of wine they have at the markets are pretty good and cost 1 Euro per litre. muhahahaha.

wow, it seems that it will be a canadian invasion on this trip. I have heard from most people that it is normally Aussies that dominate these trips. Looking forward to meeting you face to face

elysiaxoxo

Hahahah I’ve heard that most people on these trips are from Australia too!! Guess this one may be different…and the ration of guys to girls might be skewed, if this group is any indication! Hahaha but you know if I drank that might wine you would be carrying me to a hospital. So that’s not good, I will only touch white wine and 2 glasses at most Carl! No peer pressure!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion