Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 12 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Maybe the guys are too intimidated to talk on this forum with all the hair straightening discussions going on :o)
    Don’t worry about the wine/alcohol, I only make an offer once. If you miss the invitation you’ll have to ask for a taste. BTW, i do not plan on drinking anything alone though. If no one else is joining me, then I’ll rather not have anything. ciau

• 12 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

btw. does anyone know how large these contiki groups get? 40-50 people?

• 12 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

apparently it’s 35 people for this tour, but my friends have been on ones where there are like 55 people!

• 12 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

So I checked with my sister and she said 2 girls on her trip ruined their own straigtheners from home plus one they bought in europe too! I don’t get it…im sure euro women must straighten their hair, theres gotta be a way! And so help me god im gonna find it! It’s research time!! lol (maybe if you buy a straigthener in say Italy it will work there but not in other countries…maybe thats the problem)
    Wow 55 people thats crazy! I was thinking more around 35…and I agree Carl, maybe all our girly talk is scaring off the guys on our trip lol I was wondering where they all were….and where everyone was in general…. theres only like 10 of us so far that have posted on our board…I wonder if people know theres discussion forums? (and that theres multiple pages to them because it took me a while to figure that out! haha)
    About the bulk wine (lol)…I would definately go in on that to SHARE it with someone b/c like Elysia I can only handle 2-3 glasses…perhaps i will have to purchase a 1L water bottle hehe!
    OMG my sister said we have to get up at like 6 or 7am every day?! WTF??! That’s craaazy I’m gonna have to get myself on a schedule before I leave lol I don’t have a job so I’m used to getting up around 10am or later! Bah! I might have to be goin to bed early some nights if thats the case…it’s crazy but I need like 9-10hrs sleep to be rested lol!

• 12 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Holly, your information about the straightners scares me! I NEED a straightner. I can’t live without it for 3 weeks :s .. So if you find something let me know and I’ll definitely do the same! One of my friends said her flatiron worked with this adaptor from canadian tire but i don’t know if i want to take a chance because i’ve only heard of one person that had their flatiron work. Hopefully we can figure something out before we leave!
    Also, is anyone planning on taking the metro/train to their hotel and know how to navigate? lol. I know our first hotel is Roma Park Hotel and so I don’t want to pay for a cab to the hotel because cabs are going to be so expensive and i want to use them only when necessary. So if anyone knows how to get to the hotel from the airport using the metro/train that would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

• 12 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

I’m not sure about the train, but Contiki does have a shuttle that you can book to pick you up at the airport. It’s $35 Canadian and someone will just pick you up at the airport when you land. It might be worth checking out. My roomie and I just talked to a lady at Travel Cuts and she got it all set up for us :)

HollyB

Sarah I will definately keep you posted if I find anything out…I know, the idea of living without it for 2 weeks scares me too! (you said three weeks are you doing another week long tour as well or exploring by yourself?)
    Yeah that’s what I’m doing, taking the Contiki shuttle thing…less worry about navigating by myself that way! Because I KNOW I’d get lost somehow haha I have a tendency to do that!

• 12 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Oh really? A shuttle? Okay I’ll check it out, thanks!
    My friend and cousin are coming on this tour with me and then we’re doing a week on our own back in italy. Navigating around is definitely going to be a challenge lol

HollyB

If anyone wants to add me to facebook feel free….my full name is Holly Bradich. :)

• 12 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

P.s. Is it $35 per person? Or is it a flat rate for the car?

HollyB

Sarah are you leaving one day early? Im flying out of Pearson May 7 at 5pm (i think) that’d be crazy if we were on the same flight! lol

• 12 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

It’s $35 per person. I think that you can find more info on it in the Contiki brochure.

• 12 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hey so I spoke to my cousin in London who im staying with for a week and she said I could buy one in Europe and then just get an adapter because all together it would be like 30 pounds…but since even she admits Rome is finicky with the voltage, maybe we should all just let our hair do its thing for the short time we’re in Rome? It sounds so brutal though hahaha. And I know what you’re saying about the early wakeup calls Holly. I am NOT a morning person at all, but I have a strong feeling that I’m going to be excited every morning to wake up and go see new sights that it won’t be a problem. But for sure I want to have some chill nights too and go to bed somewhat earlier, especially if we’ve been partying! And i was just gunna say, what time is everyone arriving in Rome? I’m getting there on the 8th at 6pm!

• 13 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Does anyone know if euros are the currency in italy, france and spain or if they’re different? I need to order some for the trip soon and need to know…thanks! :)

• 13 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Hi Everyone! My name is Jill, 32 (so Holly no worries on the age thing) from Toronto and I’ll be joining all of you!!! This is my first time in Europe and I’m travelling alone, so i’m glad i found this discussion group!!

• 13 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

Hey Jill! Another Canadian :D This trip really is a Canadian invasion, hahaha.

Holly, to answer your question…As far as I know, Italy, France and Spain all take Euros! I think the bills are the same for all three countries, but each country has their own coins.

• 13 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey Jill! Welcome! :) It’s my first time too so we can be Euro-virgins together lol! Are you going a day early by any chance? I’m leaving from Pearson May 7th at 5pm …theres so many canadians on this trip im certain someones gonna end up on the same flight as me! haha
    Thanks for the info Avril! Mucho appreciado! :)

• 13 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

lol, euro-virgins… I guess that makes me a virgin as well :o)
    If you guys like, meet me up on facebook under Carl Kirstein… just not the one with the south park character, that one is my cousin

• 13 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Sooo I just got a call from my travel agent, Contiki changed our hotel in Rome. In case you guys weren’t notified and u already booked the night before at the Roma Park Hotel, call ur travel agents now! I want everyone to be together! hahahah we’re now staying at the Holiday Inn Express!! xo

• 13 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

I also have just been notified by my travel agent about the hotel switch!! Currently in the works of switching over hotels!
    I think my flight out of pearson is at 10pm so i’ll be a few hours after you Holly!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.