Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 13 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

For those of you who aren’t taking the Contiki shuttle there is a route by train. Our changed hotel to Holiday Inn Rome – San Giovanni, is located next to Tuscolana Station. And their local train service
    “Fiumicino Local Train (Service FR1)” provides a direct link from the airport to right next to our hotel (get off the train at Roma Tuscolana) . And the best thing about it is that it’s only 8euro!

• 13 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Is anyone bringing their phone from home? My dad said something about getting me a texting package but my sister said it might not work unless I have an international SIM card or something….any insight on this issue??

• 13 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Thanks for the info Sarah! I’m considering that option, but am kinda scared about getting lost lol! I guess it depends how gutsy I’m feeling when i get there and if i feel like putting my basic italian to work! :)

• 13 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Yes, I’m going a day early. My flight is at 8pm though…and i have a connecting flight in London. I got a call about the hotel change too. Hopefully it’s in a location so you can do a little bit of sightseeing!!
    Holly regarding your cell phone, you can get some kind of international package while you are gone. That’s with Rogers, but i’m sure you can get something similar with other companies. Something else i have to do soon. I have done NOTHING to get ready…i have start getting organized! lol

• 14 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

I checked out the location of the hotel and it’s definitely too far to walk. But apparently the metro is only 800meters (i don’t know how long that takes to walk lol.. maybe 5-10mins?) and that will take us into the more touristy places like the spanish steps and trevi fountain :)
    Don’t be scared Holly, you need a little adventure every once and a while :p

• 14 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Sounds great Sarah!! I want to check out the shopping situation as well!! :D

• 14 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Yess so excited to shop! Via Nazionale in Rome is apparently a good street with inexpensive shops and good pubs! and apparently Florence is absolutely AMAZING for shopping :D

• 14 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Ordinarilly I love to shop too….you ladies are so lucky….I WISH i could shop on the trip! I’m currently unemployed so it looks like it’ll be window shopping for me…or maybe a little something thats inexpensive…im sure they have amazing stuff though! Exciting!
    And yes, Sarah, you’re right adventure is key..and im DEFINATELY due for some but I also tend to get lost very easily/stress out very easily so yeah….we’ll see about the train :)

• 14 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

I haven’t received a call about the change in hotel :S My roomie and I are there for 2 extra nights before the tour starts… Did they mention anything about whether or not the change in hotel would interfere with the extra nights??

• 17 Apr 2011 Explorer1245212 said

Default_avatar

Hi y’all! Name’s Natalie. :) I’m from Southern California. My cousin and I shall be joining you lovely people on this tour. It’ll be the first time we’re in Europe…sooooo…look forward to seeing you all! :D

• 17 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Av, I don’t think your nights at the other hotel will interfere. It’s just that I didn’t want to switch hotels more than necessary, and thats why I want to start off in the same hotel that we are already going to be in with the tour. Just to be sure, I’d call your agent just to make sure because when I went on the Roma Park website from booking.com, it said they weren’t taking any bookings, which was odd. So my advice is to call just to be on the safe side!
    & Hey Natalie! Welcome :) .. are you going to be in rome a few days before the tour starts as well? or are you doing anymore touring before/after this tour?

• 17 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

ps I just noticed that our tour is sold out!

• 17 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

Ola natalie! Looking forward to meeting you in person as well.

sheesh, looks like I’ll be late for the party when I only arrive early on the 9th.

• 17 Apr 2011 NatalieCeleste said

NatalieCeleste

We’ll be arriving on the 9th. :) You won’t be the only one, Carl. haha

As for us staying later after the tour? Nope! Just spending the 14 days there then heading back home. :( I wish we could stay longer. …I might just somehow get lost in the crowd on the way to the airport on the 22nd. Somehow. ha! :D

• 17 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey Natalie welcome! Looking forward to meeting you and your cousin!
    Are you getting super excited yet? 3 more weeks waahoo!
    Are you a red or white wine fan? Elysia and I only drink white…Carl is apparently quite the wine conneseur and informs us that you can get wine in bulk at the market; 1L for a few euros! haha
    Did you see our huge discussion on straigtheners? lol…
    Just so everyone has the info, I spoke to my dad yesterday and he said that as long as you have a voltage reducer (attached to your euro plug) it shouldn’t be a problem; the voltage difference wouldn’t be able to overload your straightener and fry it so for those of you like me that can’t live without it, maybe look into getting one of those :)

• 18 Apr 2011 Cherry said

Cherry

Hi everyone- I’m Natalie’s cousin Bev. I can’t believe we’ll be in Rome in 3 weeks!! Looking forward to a great trip!

• 18 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Hi Natalie and Bev!! Welcome!!!
    I just bought new luggage for the trip!!! Can’t wait!!! Thanks for the info about the whole straightener situation Holly. I’ll have to check my convertor to see if it has that. :S
    Oh…and just so everyone knows…i too am a white wine drinker…but i think i will try some red on the trip. :)

• 18 Apr 2011 NatalieCeleste said

NatalieCeleste

:) I’m a red wine kinda girl myself. So while you guys are downing the white, I’ll be sipping my red. ;) Though, whatever color, wine’s wine. Right? Haha!

Thanks for the heads up about the straightener. I use mine to curl my hair. :)

Hell yes I’m excited! :D We’re all going to have so much fun. Haha!

Weird and random question: what sort of shoes are y’all taking? I’m bringing my flats, some Vans and sandals. I’m thinking of heels…but you guys think I should take some track shoes? :

Such a chick thing to ask, innit? My apologies.

• 18 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Red wine is alwayss first choice for me :) ..white wine only if absolutely necessary lol
    Definitely a chick thing lol but I love shoess! .& I always pack overboard so I’m bringing flats, sandles(comfortable and more dressy), wedges, flip flops, and heels(maybe). I was going to bring a good pair of running shoes but I decided against it. I’m getting a good pair of sandals like birkenstocks instead.

About the adapter, I heard the same thing Holly. I heard of something called a step down transformer and I saw it online for about $8. But all these things scare me so I’m planning to buy a dual voltage flatiron that has both 110/120 and 220/230 volts so it’s pretty much guaranteed to work.

I absolutely can’tt wait! My intineray comes by fedex tomorrow!! Did anyone else get theirs yet?

• 18 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

For shoes i’m bringing flats, gladiators, suede boots, birkenstocks, runners and these sporty shoes you can wear with bare feet..super comfortable and breathable for warmer days…theyre called Jambus..if anyone is looking for a great comfy shoe for warmer weather definately check them out! I got mine for $99 plus shipping including a free raincoat and they arrived in 3 business days!
    Are we supposed to be getting our itineraries by mail? I thought it was all on the Contiki site and we didn’t actually get a print out? Hmmm is there something I’m missing?? Now im worried can someone let me know? Thanks! :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.