Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 18 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Are your suede boots heels or flat? ..I’ve never heard of Jambus, but I’ll check them out! Thanks!

Ask your travel agent! Because the intinerary we get in the mail is more specific than online- it provides us with hotel names and such. Also it includes tickets and everything.

If you just booked straight with contiki I know I received an email a while back saying everything will be mailed within 3 weeks so this week you should most likely get it.

• 18 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

is the intinerary like the vouchers? I only know at which hotels I’m staying

• 18 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Ya its the vouchers.. it came in a grey contiki case.

• 18 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

whaaaaat? mine got sent via email. sheesh, I’ll have to talk to my agent.

• 18 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hi y’alll!
    Soo I made an appointment to see my travel agent because she has received my contiki package, but I haven’t seen it yet! Super excited!
    Anywayy, about the hair straighteners: I went to the store and talked to a super cute nerdy guy who knew EVERYTHING so I think all I need is my straightener, a voltage converter, and plug adapter! I’m still wary about using the flatiron in Rome though because the voltage is wonky. However, I already bought the plug adapters though because my Blackberry, camera and iPod chargers all have voltage converters within them!
    Also, as for shoes, I’m bringing my runners (which you can barely call runners because they are Puma and pink and white with rhinestones on them!!) hahaha. I’m also bringing flip flops, cute flats, and dressy sandals and sky high heels to wear with a nice dress in case we go out somewhere nice…or I happen to meet a prince who takes me out hahahahaha.
    Anywayyy, that’s my two bits! Cannot wait to see you all!! xox

• 19 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

You HAD to bring up shoes!!
    Umm…so i’m thinking my two pairs of ballet shoes, one dressy the other a running shoe, flip flops, running shoe (sketchers) and shoe w/ a heel. This could change though. ;)
    Regarding the straightener… i think i will leave mine a home. So long as i bring my frizz control gel…i will be good to go!!

• 19 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Hey Bev…i did see that! I didn’t have a suitcase accommodated their ‘size’ so i had to buy a new one.
    I think i will have to cut some shoes out! :(

• 19 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Yea the 44lbs limit is going to be crazy. But I’m going to aim for 35 pounds because it’s a lot to carry around- especially for the hotels where the elevator usually fits like 2 people (which is most european hotels lol).
    I went to europe 5 years ago and had to carry my luggage up the stairs for most hotels and up and down subway stairs and it was crazy carrying 44lbs. I advise aiming for less! (Unless you want some crazy arm muscles when you get back!)

• 19 Apr 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

crazy arm muscles, yeah! You could then increase the ticket price to the gunshow, or wrestle those on sale pradas from other ladies.

I’m certainly not going to pack a while lot of clothes and shoes and stuff in. Lightweight to Europe, heavy weight back from Europe. My family and friends will not be happy if I don’t bring then souvenirs (novelties, partytricks).

• 22 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Does anyone know what the restrictions are for bringing vitamins and supplements through customs?? I don’t want to have to buy brand new bottles of everything because that would be too expensive (i take a lot of vitamins lol) I was hoping to just bring them all loose, in ziploc bags or something but I know how security is about drugs..wouldn’t want them to mistake vitamins for street drugs or something!
    Any insight??

• 22 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure that all pills have to be in their original bottles… Last time I went to Europe I got my Vitamin C taken away for not having it in it’s original package. Mind you, that was about 6 years ago so it may have changed by now. I think they are also more strict if the pills are in your carry-on baggage.

• 22 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Thanks…but do the bottles have to be unopened??

• 23 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

Nope! I That shouldn’t be a problem. The pills just need to be easily identifiable. I would strongly recommend putting them in your checked luggage and then you shouldn’t have any problems.

• 23 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

Unless they are pills that you absolutely need on a daily basis…Then you should definitely put them in your carry-on!! haha. If you are still unsure, I would just talk to a travel agent. They know what’s up.

• 23 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Ok thanks a million! Im relieved cuz I definately can’t afford to buy all new bottles of vitamins..it really adds up!
    OMG 2 weeks to goooo!!!! :D Who’s getting super excited!?!?!

• 23 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

I am way too excited for this trip, its nuts!!
    Holly about the vitamins, as long as they are in your checked luggage like Av said, it’s all good. However, anything in your carry-on needs to be in its original bottle and that and any liquids gels and aerosols need to be in a 1 liter clear bag to they can take them out and inspect them if they want to. (I just use ziplocs). I work at the airport so I get questions about it every day hahaha. It should be fine though!
    Goood luck girl! xo

• 24 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Thanks fo the info Elysia!
    I’m bringing 700 euros and then probably getting out 2-300 more from an ATM while there..from what I read on contiki i figured about 70 per day should be sufficient.

• 26 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Finally got my Contiki package! Ugh..looks like my flight from Toronto to London is going to be 12hours!! plus another 3-4 to get to rome, ugh!!
    OMG this is soo complicated im trying to figure out this voltage business…ive read i need to bring the plug adapters (which I have) as well as a universal powerbar with surge protection (in order to plug more than one thing in at once) and a TRANSFORMER (NOT converter – those things are unstable and will fry your gadgets!)
    You need one that is a 220-110 dual voltage unit transformer but i dont know where to find the right ones…anyone have any idea?? (also if you’re using it overnight or something you’re supposed to get one that can work 100% beyond the voltage you are trying to use just to be safe)….kinda confusing eh? I need help!! lol

• 26 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

I have never seen a transformer in a store. I saw one online for $8 but I don’t know how good it is because it seems inexpensive lol. I am so confused between adapters and transformers and everything.
    Where did you hear that converters are unstable?

• 27 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hiiii guys.
    Guess what I just bought that I didn’t even think existed: a cordless straightener!!! Hahaha got it at London Drugs today for 25$. It runs on these little aerosol can thingys. Suuuper cool!
    So that’s how i got past the straightener problem, because everyone said mine will burn :( However, the blowdryer is an entirely different dea’! Haha
    And Holly, most electronic chargers have power transformers and voltage converters within them, like phones and cameras…at least mine do, just find the number of volts, its somewhere on it..
    And then you simply need the plug adapters which are like 10 bucks. Cause Europe’s prongs are different. Anyway, don’t let people confuse you, people are just trying to scare you, it won’t be that bad!!!! :) xox

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.