Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Starting from Rome - 9 May 2011

16 Dec 2010 CarlK said

CarlK
Hallo there, who else is going on this trip?
  • 27 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Thanks Elysia…I was TOTALLY looking at cordless straighteners today too!! Thats funny…so how long can it run on those aresol can things? Like how do you recharge it? I’ve seen some that are ion batteries but they’re much more expensive (saw them on ebay) and still need to be charged eventually…
    So what do you mean…what amount of volts does your charger have to be to work with euro voltage? for my mp3 player i usually use a usb to charge it on my comp and will be borrowing my bfs blackberry plug (wall plug with usb slot) so im worried about that one…my phone has a regular charger though.

HollyB

ps this is what my phone charger says: 100-240V 50/60Hz is that ok?

• 27 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Yup! That’s what my blackberry charger says too so that’s fine. I assume it will convert the voltage itself, no one I’ve spoken to has had a problem..
    And as for the straightener, each little bottle of liquid stuff lasts 180 minutes (although I doubt that hahaha), so I bought 4 little ones. It was 11$ for a pack of two!
    That’s so funny we were both looking at straighteners today! This one is called a Cordless Butane Straightener check it outtt girl!
    http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/Product+Detail/Beauty.htm?BreadCrumbs=Beauty;Beauty;Hair%20Care;Hair%20Straighteners;Conair%20Cordless%20Butane%20Ceramic%20Straightener%20-%20TC701C&ProductID=4638623&ProductTab=3
    do u have London Drugs by your place? It’s on saleee!

HollyB

Good to know about the blackberry charger…my shoulder/neck heating pad only says 120V though so i guess i’ll need a converter/transformer for that….
    No we don’t have london drugs at all here in Ontario (at least not in southern ontario) but I wonder if I could buy it online?? Hmm…..
    In case anyone is arriving a day early or anything and wants to meet up here is my cell 519-589-1833.
    I am only getting a texting package though (with minimal texts prob 75 or so) so don’t try to call it lol!
    The countdown is on!10 DAYS!!! :D

• 27 Apr 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Holly how much are you paying for the text package? I don’t think I will bring my phone but I’m just curious!

So you know how the documents say we have to meet our tour manager at 4:00pm …is that May 8th or May 9th? haha

• 27 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Hey Everyone! Holly who are you flying with? i have a 4hr layover in London as well. But people have told me that the London airport is sooo big you want that time to get to your next gate. Plus apparently you can do a lot of shopping (or window shopping ;) ). I will be in Rome on 8th around 4:30pm so we should meet-up for dinner or something that night….if you are in Rome then. Is anyone else around then?? We should make a time to meet in the lobby of the hotel or something.
    Is everyone bringing hair blowers? I was going to depend on the hotel supplying them. :S

• 28 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Hi y’all!!
    Sarah, I believe we meet our tour manager at 4pm on the 9th, so basically we have the day to explore!!! I’m totally down to meet in the lobby or something and go out for lunch with you guys and see what it’s like there! I am arriving at night on the 8th..
    Jill, I don’t know if our hotels will have blowdryers because theyr’e like mostly little hotels, and iIve been told Europe doesn’t really supply them in hotels, but I hope some places do!!! I’m too lazy to go buy a travel one so my mom lent me hers from when she went to Europe like 20 years ago!!! Hahaha so terrified to see if it works, but it has a switch that goes from 120 Volts to 250 Volts in Europe. Let’s just hope I don’t burn the place down trying to use it hahahaha

• 28 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Hey Jill! Yeah! Im totally down for meeting up for lunch/dinner/DRINKS! whatever when I get there! (probably gonna want a nap first though lol)
    Maybe you, me and Elysia can go together! (Elysia is bringing her phone too so should be easy to meet up) and we can do some exploring too!
    Sarah which provider are you with? Im with Rogers…i cant seem to find the page i saw before but im getting one for $50 (i think) that gives you 75 sent messages and unlimited recieved messages.
    Elysia, Im bringing a travel hair dryer that is good for Europe so you can always borrow mine! (ps did you get my facebook msgs about the straigtheners and the cell numbers?)

• 28 Apr 2011 Jill said

Default_avatar

Hey Holly! I’m bringing my phone too. I have to look into a plan that i can get. I will let you know as soon as i have that sorted out.

• 28 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Does anyone elses tickets say “pending confirmation” for Florence? Kinda worried about that…might have to take it up with my aunt/travel agent….
    Also just so you all know, apparently a cup of tea is super pricey in Europe (no idea why?) so might want to bring your own…I know I’m definately bringing some, love my green tea! :D

• 28 Apr 2011 Steph said

Default_avatar

Hi Everyone!
    My name is Stephanie and I’ll be joining Sarah and another friend on this tour! I’m very excited and looking forward to meeting you all in a few days….yes a few days!! I remember counting down from three months ago. Anyways, see you all at the Holiday Inn haha.

• 28 Apr 2011 elysiaxoxo said

elysiaxoxo

Welcome Steph! I’m super excited too, been counting down since November! hahahah
    And Holly, my itinerary says ‘pending confirmation’ for our 2 nights in Florence as well, my travel agent called Contiki just yesterday and they said they haven’t confirmed it yet at that time. We better get a hotel hahaha i’m worried too but whatever, it’s in their hands. And tea is expensive there? Darn, I love my tea too. I was going to bring tea bags but then I realized: where would i get a kettle? hahahah

• 28 Apr 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

My roommate and I still don’t have our tour packages…Sooo that’s good, hah. Hopefully those arrive soon.

We spoke to our travel agent yesterday and I guess we do have to pay entrance fees at the museums, etc. (even if they are not optional excursions). Not all of our stops do have entrance fees, but some do. For example, the Vatican museum is 14 euros. Apparently we do get a reduced fee with the Contiki tour, but the travel agent also recommended that we get ISIC cards. If you haven’t heard of them, they are student travel cards that get you mad deals.

I’m bringing my cell phone as well. I just got an International plan through TELUS. It’s 15 cents a text but I don’t plan on using it a whole hell of a lot.

We’re arriving in Rome on the 7th so hopefully we can meet up with you all once you arrive! :)

• 29 Apr 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Elysia, re: the tea…..you don’t need a kettle silly, im sure they will provide us with hot water at breakfasts and at restaurants! lol
    Hey Avril, do you want to msg me on facebook with your cell number so it’s easy to meet up on the 7th with the rest of us? I have Elysia and Jills numbers too so we can all find each other easily :)
    I’m arriving at the hotel around 2pm…Elysia and Jill are arriving a few hrs later I think….how about you??

• 1 May 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Anyone know how we can contact our tour guide? Or maybe I should just call Contiki? I have a request for 4-5 pillows at every hotel lol….I need them because I have severe chronic acid reflux and have to prop myself up at night….so yeah…lol if anyone knows who would be best to speak to about that, lemme know! Thanks :)

• 2 May 2011 avmarie said

Default_avatar

For everyone who has extra nights booked, double check that your vouchers are for the right hotel on them!! Our hotel voucher for Rome had the wrong hotel name. Contiki can print new vouchers for you before you leave :)

Holly, I have no clue how to contact the tour manager. Would your travel agent be able to help you out??

• 3 May 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

Has anyone had any luck findng a voltage converter or transformer?? I still haven’t found one and am reallly gonna need one for the trip….let me know if you have any luck! Thanks :)

• 5 May 2011 CarlK said

CarlK

muhahahaha, the time is almost nigh. Finally I am starting to realize that this is happening. Travel safely everyone, and see you sunday!

• 5 May 2011 HollyB said

HollyB

I know Carl, it’s exciting!! I’m getting super pumped!! Just having a hard time packing lol its an ongoing process ugh! See you sunday! :)

• 5 May 2011 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Has anyone else noticed that online our tour shows that we get 6 dinners included but on our itinerary we received, it shows we only get 4 :s
    Anyone else see this? Or know who we can complain to??
    2 dayssss :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion