Community_discussions_small  

Question

Where can you not take pictures?

20 Jul 2007 Alex211983 asked

Default_avatar
Is there alot of places in London and Paris you can not take pictures of. If so can you give me some ideas? Thanks.

Alex
  • 20 Jul 2007 LorneB said

LorneB

No pictures of the Mona Lisa allowed.

• 21 Jul 2007 Jeremy said

Jeremy

A lot of churches and museums do not allow pictures inside. Some that do allow pictures do not allow tripods. A lot of churches and museums that allow pictures do not allow the use of flash.

I was told in the Louvre that there are plenty of signs posted on where you can or cannot take pictures. All of which have to be no flash, so hopefully you have a camera with a Best Shot Selection feature that takes multiple photos and saves the sharpest one. Otherwise you will have to ask when you arrive if it is unclear.

• 21 Jul 2007 Alex211983 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jeremy:
    A lot of churches and museums do not allow pictures inside. Some that do allow pictures do not allow tripods. A lot of churches and museums that allow pictures do not allow the use of flash.

I was told in the Louvre that there are plenty of signs posted on where you can or cannot take pictures. All of which have to be no flash, so hopefully you have a camera with a Best Shot Selection feature that takes multiple photos and saves the sharpest one. Otherwise you will have to ask when you arrive if it is unclear.

I do have a good camera. However, I don’t want to get kicked out of places just for taking pictures that I wasn’t allow too. I am glad there will be signs. I’ve been kicked out of churches many times before around where I lived and went to school do to my beliefs (I am Waccian). Having said that will I be allowed in?
    So for the 101 questions.. Thanks for the help.

Alex

• 21 Jul 2007 Loogie said

Default_avatar

You will be allowed in. As long as you’re wearing clothing covering your shoulders and knees, you can get in.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

• 21 Jul 2007 Alex211983 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Loogie:
    You will be allowed in. As long as you’re wearing clothing covering your shoulders and knees, you can get in.

Brian
    brij75@yahoo.com

Thanks.. My Oma and Opa live in Netherlands and my boyfriend’s father lived Spain and his mother lived in Italy as kids. So that’s the rule in all three places. But I wasn’t sure if it also applied to London and Paris.

Alex

• 5 Aug 2007 Nicky said

Nicky

Hi,
    I was just in the south of France and Paris this past spring. The Louvre didn’t allow pictures of ANY paintings when I went there. D’Orsay (sp?) did let paintings be photographed. You can always try to sneek a picture but be warned that angry guards will come after you shouting ‘NO PHOTO’ and will sometimes take your camera or film or kick you out. If your camera gives a flash you will get the same reaction.

• 6 Aug 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

The museums usually have signs that will tell you if you can or can’t. They are usually pretty good at advertising these rules.

Hmmm, when i was in the Louvre in 2005 you could take pictures of the Mona Lisa, I guess they changed it – Owell.

• 8 Aug 2007 atc_chic said

Default_avatar

When I was at the Louvre in 05 we could take pictures of the Mona Lisa as well. They had special glass in front of it.

• 13 Aug 2007 Gbanger said

Default_avatar

Was in the Louvre in July, you are not allowed to take pictures… However, it was like the paparazzi when Tara Reid’s …. you get the picture..

• 14 Aug 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

i always tried to take pictures where ever i went and the i got yelled at a few times, but they never did anything… so just pay attention to you;re surroundings and dont worry about it too much cause theres hundreds of others just like you doing the same thing!

• 20 Aug 2007 sam said

Default_avatar

alot of churches u cant. paintings, the cappacino monks bone mueseum (sounds bad) but its so awesum one of the highlights of the trip, red light district

• 13 Sep 2007 Enigma said

Default_avatar

You will be unable to take pictures while inside the Moulin Rouge also …..

• 14 Sep 2007 sweetfreesia said

Default_avatar

I just got back from the Euro Vista trip this past Saturday and everyone was taking pics at the Louvre. Nobody took any pics in the National Museum in London or any other museums. The only place I really got any flack for trying is the Vatican where Leonardo painted the Sistine Chapel. They were strict there.

• 15 Sep 2007 Anney said

Default_avatar

Uhm-Didn’t Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel?The ceiling at least.

Anyway-Do they also forbid video in the places that photos are not allowed?We have a video camera that also takes still pictures so if one is an issue I can just use the other.Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Sep 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

A girl from my tour tried to videotape Mouin Rouge, they found her and took the camera back. She got it back, but they are definitely looking for cameras and are no joke about it.

• 17 Sep 2007 Talia said

Default_avatar

I agree, although its great to have photos the postcards of artwork are much better & cheap.. maybe just stick to photos outside & in the lobby ares of the galleries
    If I wes ever unsure I would ask, at least that way you respect the country you are visiting.
    Also if your in a gallery take the time to look and apperciate, dont just live life through a lense Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 18 Sep 2007 Talia said

Default_avatar

guess its all down to personal opinion, I prefer clarity and not to have the heads of 100 other tourist blocking my view in front of art work.

I think you’ll be fine in most places taking photos, maybe just follow the lead of everyone around you Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 18 Sep 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

wherever you cant take photos there will be signs or someone to tell you off.
    you can take them in the lourve of certain things, but of course not the mona lisa…although when iw as there heaps of people were taking photos of her.

• 5 Nov 2007 Bliss Madonna said

Bliss Madonna

why cant we take pics inside the moulin rouge!?!

• 25 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

it is mainly the flash that ruins the artwork and thats y they dont allow flash photography but if u take the flash off u shuld be just dandy…. make sure u hav 2 ppl standing round u if ur that worried bout ppl taking it and if its a digital camera u can see wots n the screen even if its down low while tring to hide it

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.