Community_discussions_small  

Question

Travelsim or UK sim????

23 Nov 2010 Manda asked

Default_avatar
Hi all,

What is the easiest/cheapest way to use iphone in europe to contact australia?

Should i buy travelsim or wait and get a uk sim at heathrow?

here is travelsim: http://www.travelsim.net.au/
  • 24 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Hmm. I would still say a UK sim card Manda. In saying that though I don’t know anything about the travelsim..first time I’ve heard about it. Where did you first see/hear about it?

• 24 Nov 2010 Manda said

Default_avatar

Someone I’m going on contiki with told me about it. He used it last time and said it was really good… It’s 43c to text aus from anywhere in uk/europe and its between 41-63c to call per min. I just don’t know what that is like compared to a uk sim. Hrrrmm!!

• 26 Nov 2010 Explorer~1987 said

Explorer~1987

TRUPHONE
    Global SIM Card
    Insert the Truphone SIM into your unlocked
    GSM mobile phone and become a Truphone
    member. You’ll pay local rates, not roaming
    rates, in all Truphone countries.
    – Includes A$15 of free credit and first 30 days
    membership. Ongoing membership costs just
    A$15 for 30 days and is entirely flexible – add
    when you need it or subscribe monthly
    Currently UK, USA and Australia, with other
    countries launching soon
    BIG SAVINGS: call UK to Australia for just
    A$0.15/min and USA to Australia for A$0.22
    (you can pay up to $3.50 with others)
    Add a local phone number for frequently
    visited Truphone countries
    – Competitive rates for calls, text and data
    in most countries
    More info at www.truphone.comI found this on the Qantas website in the duty free catalogue. I will be using this when i go to Europe and it’s also quite cheap!

• 26 Nov 2010 Manda said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the replies guys.. So the UK sims are easy to find in heathrow? coz i read somewhere that their only to be found in departures which would not work as i’m arriving.. but that might be wrong haha! when you say 38pence/min to call AUS and 11pence to text, how muych does that convert into into cents?

That global sim card does sound good. I’m just unsure which would be the easist way to go. Is the uk sim easy to recharge and how much does the sim cost?

• 4 Dec 2010 Danielle said

Default_avatar

Hey!! I used the phone card that Contiki give you in the pack and I also got a UK Vodafone SIM card.
    I found it really cheap to use and when I entered a new country on the tour, it would automatically send me a text telling me that I was roaming and the new call and text rates.
    On my way home, I wanted to use the rest of my credit and was on the phone to Australia for ages and only used a few pounds credit!
    Vodafone stores are easy to find, went into a Vodafone store in Germany and because it was the same service I could recharge.
    I would definately do that again! Hope this helps!!

European Encounter 2008
    European Vista 2010

• 5 Dec 2010 kristy said

kristy

im thinking the same.. so if i get a uk sim it will work all over europe? or will it cost me a bit extra each time i enter a different country

• 5 Dec 2010 Danielle said

Default_avatar

Yeah your UK SIM will work all over Europe! As soon as you leave the UK the charges go up as you are roaming. It is still really cheap though!

• 5 Dec 2010 Manda said

Default_avatar

ok so the uk sim is the best way to go? I want to get one at heathrow, hopefully their not too hard to find!

• 5 Dec 2010 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

I know it’s easy to find SIMs, but what about micro SIMs? I have an iPhone (non contract) and I’ll need a micro SIM for it. I don’t care about data on holidays, wifi’ll do me fine, but I still need the smaller SIM. Anyone know how easy those are to find?

• 5 Dec 2010 Manda said

Default_avatar

does the uk sim fit an iphone? i just noticed the iphones hold smaller sims too

• 6 Dec 2010 Danielle said

Default_avatar

They are easy to find! There are plenty of Vodafone stores about.
    And Lindsey…If you go into a Vodafone store they should be able to help you out with your iPhone. They were really helpful with me and obviously get alot of tourists wanting SIM cards to use while away!
    If you are staying at the Royal National or Imperial there is a Vodafone store not far away in a little shopping mall thing.

Hope this helps!!!

European Encounter 2008
    European Vista 2010

• 6 Dec 2010 Manda said

Default_avatar

are these micro sims available in heathrow??”?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.