Community_discussions_small  

Comment

LA hotels - dodgy vs non dodgy areas

13 Jan 2009 Brindabella said

Default_avatar
Hey everyone! I've heard some horror stories about some LA areas and also would just like to have a break from hostels and backpackers during my upcoming big adventure and since LA is the last leg of my trip, I would like to book an actual hotel hotel (limit per night $200US), but am so unsure about locations. I'd like to be not too extremely far from Disneyland, but I also don't want to be close to Disneyland but ages and ages from anywhere else as I will be staying 5 days and only be going to Disneyland for one of those days. I plan to do some shopping and typical celebrity like tourist tours, and would love to visit UCLA and perhaps the Staples Centre and or Dodger Stadium.

I guess my main question is what area is kind of in between all these places and not too dodgy? Downtown? West Hollywood? Or should I just stick with staying in Santa Monica or Anaheim and pay staggering amounts for taxis and shuttle services? (I will NOT be hiring a car during anytime of this trip)

I am considering this hotel:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...pv/htid=894101

It seems close to everything and seems nice enough and I'd be prepared to pay that. The lines "Public bus transportation and limited Metro Rail service are available. Taxis are available but expensive" and "Public transportation is available for $2.50 one-way, but takes about two hours. For exploration beyond the immediate hotel area, a rental car is the best option" worry me a bit, but I get by now after all the research I've done that nothing seems close together in LA.

Or also this one:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll...spv/htid=27297

As it seems close to lots of things, even though it's a bit more than I wanted to pay.

But I'd be super grateful for any advice anyone has for me on this topic! Even recommendations of places you have stayed yourselves!

Thanks in advance!
  • 24 Jun 2011 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Good question! I think alot of people are a bit miffed about where to stay in LA because sometimes the places which seem fun are also the places that are dodgy at night.
    I would proabbaly avoid places like hollywood and downtown. During the day Hollywood is fine but at night has been known to be kinda seedy. And downtown actually has limited things to see and has a bit of a bad rep.

I have been to LA 5 times and always stay in Santa Monica. It’s actually fairly close to the airport (You can take Super Shuttle which is a blue van) to Santa Monica very easily once exiting the airport terminal. I think it’s around $14. Also from there there are loads of buses going all around LA…I have personally taken buses from there to Hollwyood, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Downtown etc. There is also a company there ( I think it’s called LA Sightseeing maybe) and they do tours all around LA so if you wanna see specific things. stars homes etc its easy to do. They also do day trips to Disneyland, Universal Studios, Tijuana, San Diego etc.
    I always stay in a hostel there called Hostelling International so can’t really advise you on hotels but I do know there are lots around.
    I find Santa Monica a really nice place to stay because in the big scheme of LA its fairly central, it’s got great shops, beaches, restaurtants, Santa Monica Pier and is reasonable safe at night….
    Enjoy!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.