Community_discussions_small  

Comment

PLEASE PLEASE ADVISE ME......IT'S MY FIRST TIME TO EUROPE OF COURSE....

2 Jul 2010 Mrs. Happy Traveler said

Mrs. Happy Traveler
Hello Wonderful Person or Persons reading this message....

My husband and I will be traveling to Europe in December 2010 we're going on the Paris for New Year Tour and so I would like to know how much spending money should we bring with us. Regarding our luggage is there a weight restriction with Contiki and what MUST SEE sights should my husband and I see when in London, now mind you we will only be in London for 1 1/2 days.....Also any advice for Versailles is welcomed (ex: Tickets should I get them online or when I get there & what is a good time of the day go over there)

Confused
  • 3 Jul 2010 ShellyAC said

Default_avatar

in regards to Versailles, you are best to get tix before, i went in october last year and it was a 1 hour wait to buy tix then another hour &1/2 line to get in. I was on a tour so we past the lines and went straight in but our tour guy said it is busy all year round with queues. also we only had 1/2 day there you need at least a full day, i wish i had two days because the place is huge.

• 4 Jul 2010 Mrs. Happy Traveler said

Mrs. Happy Traveler

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->I would like to thank Symbiote and Explorer1132036 for taking the time and answering my post. I appreciate the advice.

I have though one more question since my husband and I will be in London for 1 1/2 days is it possible to see Windsor Castle and every other London MUST SEE sights….

• 4 Jul 2010 Jelly_Bean said

Default_avatar

I wouldn’t bother going to windsor castle if you only have 1 1/2 days as it would use up at least half a day (if not more) as it is outside the city.
    I would make a list of what you want to see – sights you should visit and could do are Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament, Downing Street, The Thames, Hyde Park, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus, Westminster Cathedral, St Paul’s etc. You could either get a 1 day underground pass which will get you around the city or you could use one of the bus tours that operate, they are pretty good value, hop on/off with commentary and normally include something like a river cruise as an extra.
    As far as museums etc go they can be busy sometimes. If you want to go somewhere like Madam Tussauds or the London Eye you may want to pre-book tickets to avoid waiting in line for ages, which I think you can do online.
    I would also really recommend seeing a show, Wicked in absolutely amazing! You can buy tickets online at lastminute.com or you can also try the ticket booth at Leicester Square where you can buy tickets on the day.

Hope you have a good trip, pm if you need to know anything else Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 4 Jul 2010 Mrs. Happy Traveler said

Mrs. Happy Traveler

Thanks for the advice Jill…..I will definitely make a list of places I’d like to go and I wouldn’t mind checking out the WICKED show, that sounds like a WICKED idea….

• 6 Jul 2010 Mrs. Happy Traveler said

Mrs. Happy Traveler

Cool<!--graemlin::cool:--> Hello again Symboite

Thank you for the recommendation about seeing The Phantom of the Opera Sequel…I will definitely think about it….

I also would like to know if you or anyone can recommend how much spending money should I take for me and my husband. I would be in Europe a total of 8 days….

• 6 Jul 2010 Mrs. Happy Traveler said

Mrs. Happy Traveler

Symbiote…

I want to THANK U for all your advice…You have left me at ease….. Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 19 Jul 2010 Explorer1198802 said

Default_avatar

Hi there,
    Me and my wife will be heading to Europe for the first time as well for 25 days. 18 days with contiki.
    Both of us are wondering is travel voucher better than cash?

Alex n Agnes.
    Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 22 Jul 2010 leah_mh said

leah_mh

Hi there, well i am living in london (kiwi gal) been here nearly 2 yrs….if you only have a couple of days then def. london eye, buckingham palace big ben!! west end show…wicked is amazing!!
    the tower of london is pretty too….get to see the crown jewels!
    the river cruise is good fun too!
    check out http://www.londonpass.com/
    they have 1 and 2 day passes which includes alot of great attractions…and you get to skip the queue on most of them!
    or get the hop on-hop off busses – http://www.theoriginaltour.com/
    they usually offer a river cruise in the ticket.

there are usually lots of free walking tours.

for paris…book online for eiffel tower to avoid queuing!!
    go to Saint Chappelle…its a tiny little gothic cathedral around the corner from notre dame….the stained glassed windows there are amazing, my jaw dropped to the ground! – the department store next to the opera theatre(sorry cant remember the name of it) has free view deck on the top floor!!
    I think paris also do the paris pass!!

money wise – food and drinking is the main expense!!

the best tip i had when i came over was when buying something, dont convert back to your own currency. It will most likely put you buying off something…but if it is a souvenir…BUY IT, trust me you will regret not buying it later!

I hope that helps!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion