Community_discussions_small  

Question

Is 35 too old for a contiki tour?

13 Dec 2009 Road Tripper asked

Road Tripper
What does everyone think, Is 35 too old for a contiki tour?
  • 13 Dec 2009 Bunnie said

Default_avatar

Here’s a good question … (not that the others are less important) But it’s one I had to face as well..

I did a contiki tour when I was 22 & it was fine, I did a tour of NZ at 24 & I felt old & I was one of the oldest on the tour … (I still had fun) .. But there were moments that I felt I was around babies…

I am now 30 & going to Europe next year & looked in to a few different tour companies … I ended up booking a tour with Kumuka worldwide, the age range is 18 to 55, but after speaking to the rep, most of their clients are late 20’s & 30’s …

I have nothing against Contiki, & would have had a great time no matter what, but I would rather be with more of my own age.

So really I guess it’s up to you and your Personality and what you feel comfortable with.

• 13 Dec 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

It an be a bit hit and miss and will depend on you. I did a tour for my 30 birthday and was in the middle of the age group – plenty of people older and younger. I got along great with the young people though too. Do you feel more like a young 35 or an old 35? How do you think you’ll deal with a bus full of 18-25 year olds? I certainly don’t think that 35 is too old, unless you’re not young at heart.

• 23 Dec 2009 jlucca33 said

jlucca33

I was worried a bit myself, but I took the plunge anyway at age 37 (got an exception to the 35 rule.)on the Mykonos and Greek Island cruising tour. Honestly, it was a great decision. Yes, most of my tour mates were in their 20’s, but since I look young and prefer to be active and adventurous on my tours, I fit right in and had a bunch of fun. The good thing is that the tour moderator had everything planned for us, from the days of sightseeing or lounging, to the nights of bar hopping. I had no decisions to make other than how much activity I wanted to get involved in. I’m hoping for another age exception in June as I’m checking out the Berlin to Budapest tour. Hope I have the same results. (P.S. it was a bit odd finding a 19 yr old on the tour who had a crush on me. Odd in a good way though. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Dec 2009 simple19375 said

simple19375

I hope it’s not too old. I have booked the Ultimate European for June 2010 and turn 35 in March. I’m pretty sure I’ll be the grandpa on the trip as forums have 22-25yo on same tour so far. I going for me though. If it happens to be a trip with a bunch of children either become one or go the other way when your off the bus.

• 26 Dec 2009 fleaguit said

Default_avatar

I think it really depends on your state of mind. There are some wild partying 35 year olds, and there are some 18 year old sticks in the mud. I’m 26 now, and did my first Contiki about a year ago. My roommate was 30, and we were the two oldest on the tour. But we were out there every night, partying it up with every one else.

My only caveat would be that there is a bit of a “high schoolish” atmosphere. People form cliques, gossip, etc., but I didn’t really find it to be a problem.

• 29 Dec 2009 jadey-mcjade said

jadey-mcjade

i am 18 and would have heaps of fun on a tour with 35 year old!!!! probably more fun than a tour full of 18 year olds. that would just feel like my old school camps. 35 is not old!

• 29 Dec 2009 Tania said

Default_avatar

Hey Road Tripper
    35 is definately not too old for Contiki. I turn 35 in January and have just booked the European Inspiration tour. Contiki is what you make it – if you want to get drunk every night, get drunk. if you want to see and do as much as you can while you’re there, do it. It’s all in the attitude Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Happy travels

• 4 Jan 2010 Aussie Nat said

Default_avatar

hi,

i think it depends on the trip. i did contiki egypt, the average age was late 20s. i think the backpacker style european ones would have more young people wanting to party.

but yeah its not too old and its up to you. i was the youngest being 20, and there were about four people on my tour over 35 and we got along really well so age is just a number Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 6 Jan 2010 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I just did Berlin to Budapest and at 32 I was one of the oldest (although there were a couple older). That said, I had an awesome time and a lot of the group was in their late 20’s so I fit right in. I wouldn’t do the camping tours but I’ll definitely go on contiki again.

• 13 Jan 2010 chickenleg said

chickenleg

I agree with the “state of mind”. I’m going on the European Vista in May with a group of mates and one of them is 37 and he can outdrink and outparty any 18 year old i know!!

• 10 Jan 2011 Explorer1226752 said

Default_avatar

Hey Roadtripper,

How did it go?

Im deciding on if i should go contiki or not, I’ll be 34 by the time the tour starts. And I hardly drink.

• 11 Jan 2011 Kaz said

Kaz

I agree with fleaguit. It depends on who you are and how you interact with people.

I’m in my mid 20’s. We had some 35 year olds on the tour and we enjoyed hanging with them. So if you can get along with all age groups and dont mind having a mix of ages around younthen you should be perfectly fine.

• 11 Jan 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

hi all, im doing the ultimate european this year and I will be 33 so it’s good to hear all the positive comments for road tripper. i love a drink and chatting to anyone so dont think it will be too much of a problem…

• 13 Jan 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

haha bit late for me now Praha335ci, already booked and paid, might be the oldest on the tour but im sure it’ll be fun, dont care where i sleep so i think ill survive…

• 24 Feb 2011 Explorer1216068 said

Default_avatar

I’m in the same boat – booked and paid already no turning back. As long as I am not old enough to be someone’s mother, which at 29 I am unlikely to be, I’ll be good! :)

• 25 Feb 2011 miss_kayti said

miss_kayti

Praha335ci, my mum is 54 and was looking for a cheap holiday. All of the tours for her age group were all double the price of Contiki and other tours. Not all older people are in the financial situation to go on those tours, and it took Mum quite a while before she found a short trip that she could afford.

In response to the question, I had a 34 year old on one of my tours and she fit in just fine. We also had a man who was close to 50 (i had no idea they made exceptions for that age) and he was a bit quiet but got along with all of the boys and seemed to enjoy himself. It really just depends on the mental age of the person and whether they mind hanging around with a bunch of younger people or not.

• 25 Feb 2011 miss_kayti said

miss_kayti

Yeah, i didn’t think they stretched it that far but no, he was definitely older than 37. I wasn’t friends with him but the people who were said he was in his 40’s. That’s what he told them, anyway. We assumed he’d just paid extra to come along. It was a US trip.

• 18 May 2012 Nater31 said

Default_avatar

Just turned 33 and I can’t wait to hit the ground running on June 12 for the road to Athens tour.

• 3 Feb 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

Not at all but It is kind of disappointing they cut it off there.My very final one was to New Zealand in July 2012 and I was five months off my 35th Birthday.The other members were surprised I was allowed on board given my age at the time(34 years and 7 months).Northern Highlights.I had a good time but for the most part felt like the old person of the group who on the last day not only had to say goodbye to his mates he met on the tour as the bus was about to continue on from Christchurch but also to a holiday where people don’t have early nights every night and for the most part feeling like a retirement village from here on.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion