Community_discussions_small  

Question

Where to stay in NY?

30 Jan 2007 Erin in UK asked

Default_avatar
HI

I'm heading to NY for easter. Can anyone tell which area to stay in NY ie Upper East Side, Soho, Manhattan. I'll be doing the touristy things like Statue of Liberty, Macys, Central park, ground zero all that sorta stuff.

Any advise is appreciated!!! Smiler
  • 30 Jan 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by pat5150:
    What is probably the best value would be the Jazz on the Park hostel, in the Upper West Side.

Two hundred feet from Central Park, with a subway station right around the corner, and its own rooftop terrace, it’s a very cool place to stay.

I spent a week there last summer and I’d recommend it to anyone! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Oh, I’ve never heard of the place but I’m surely gonna keep it in mind for next time I’m there! Good one!

• 19 Feb 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by globetrotter1:
    So if you go to N.Y don’t stay in YMCA or another cheap hotel.

Did you stay at the YMCA too? I started my stay in NY there and lasted only 2 nights (because I absolutely had to last two nights) otherwise I wouldn’t have stayed there at all! The place is absolutely shocking! STEER CLEAR!

I have to agree, don’t go too cheap otherwise, no matter what you do during the day your trip will be ruined!

I ended up moving back to the Beacon for my last seven nights and thank god they could accommodate me (it was right over the new year’s period so I was really lucky). It did cost me an extra $1000 or so to stay there but it was worth every penny! Oh the joys of a private bathroom and a nice comfortable bed after a long, long, long days walking around!

The Beacon is about a 2-minute walk from the 72nd Street Subway which takes you right into Times Square at the blink of an eye.

Accross the road there is a huge market where you will find any and every type of food you’re after. They have heaps of ready made food too so you can always grab a cheap dinner there.

Also, if you’re happy to walk, it’s only about 20 minutes until you start hitting all the famous NY landmarks (starting about 50th Street) and just 30 mins, at most, to Times Square so you could do that and see lots along the way!

Hope this helps!

• 7 Mar 2007 stacks said

Default_avatar

hi all!
    Im travelling through the US and canada for about a month during october and november. ive booked a hotel in new york and was wondering if anyone had heard about or stayed at the pensylvania hotel. any feedback would be great! thanks guys!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.