Community_discussions_small  

Comment

46 Day Camping Tour 2011

7 Oct 2010 JP said

JP
Anyone booked for the 46 day camping tour departing 26th July 2011 yet?
  • 8 Oct 2010 amzz said

amzz

Im going the 28th June solo have you done contiki before

• 10 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

No never! Can’t wait!

• 10 Oct 2010 Louise said

Louise

I’m doing the 32 day camping tour leaving the 26th of July!! My sister has just done that trip and seemed to have a little bit to do with the 46 day-ers as well, so might get to meet you then! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

Oh that’d be cool if contiki groups got together.. and I can imagine quite messy! Unsure whether I should be training or resting my liver Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Oct 2010 Louise said

Louise

Haha I’m leaning towards the training the liver at the moment, but might give it a rest sometime before I leave :P You travelling before or afterwards? I am so pumped! Even though my sister did the 32 day, she still is friends with the 46 dayers too Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

I’m really not looking forward to being on a bus hungover!! Then again.. I dont think I would be the first person to have to throw up on one! Yeah we are heading back to the UK, then the USA and then South America.. we’re away for about 8 months. What about you?

• 11 Oct 2010 Louise said

Louise

Oh yeah, that wont be that much fun! Oh wow, that’d be amazing! I’m planning on staying in the UK for a bit afterwards and travelling and working. See how I go. Probably wont get to the UK until a week or so before the tour. Where are you from?

• 11 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

Amazing.. and expensive! Oh well, it’ll be worth it Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I’m from Perth, Australia.. you?

• 11 Oct 2010 Louise said

Louise

Worth it though for sure! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I’m from Mildura, Australia (North West of Vic)

• 14 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

We’ve just changed our departure date.. we go on the 19th July now. Bit worried about booking in for the non-definate departure date of the 26th so thought we would play it safe.

Reading heaps on these forums, its so informative! I am still a bit worried about safety of possessions. I have read that the contiki bus will not store stuff over night for you, or when you are out on nights out, or swimming etc.. I am not worried about leaving clothes etc in the tent but I am concerned about the fact that I might have to lug my laptop around along with other things like my camera etc even if its just to go to the pub… is that right?

• 17 Oct 2010 Louise said

Louise

Yeah thats fair enough. I went with a definite departure just in case Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Yeah these forums are great hey! Oh I can ask my sister for some information about that if you like. She’ll know about it.

• 20 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

Yeah I can spend hours on here reading stuff!! If you could ask her that’d be great Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Oct 2010 Lauren said

Lauren

two friends and i are going on the 10th of may Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 24 Oct 2010 lizzie said

lizzie

Hi guys, I did the 46 day camping tour this yr. Louise is ur sister andrea by any chance im positive she had a sister called louise and lived in mildura lol!!!

The 46 day trip well mine anyway left the same day as the 32 day trip then we travelled on and off at the same places up until corfu!!! You guys will definitley have an amazing time. You meet fantastic people and have a ball. Conditioning of the liver probably a good idea as there is a fair bit of drinking. On the 46 day trip we didnt go out drinking every night the first half of the trip we drank at the camp bars a bit then there wasnt any bars or bottle shops near by after corfu!. you definitley wont be the first or last to throw up on the bus, we had a gir throw up on the first day!

Possessions we were allowed to keep cameras and stuff on the bus but if they got broken into or anything then that was our problem not contikis. We never had anything stolen from our group but then again we may of been lucky. Also get use to of having cold/ chilly showers lol if you want to know anything else ask away!

• 27 Oct 2010 JP said

JP

Ugh.. biggest fear, spewing on the bus!! What was your bus driver like on using the toilet? Have read a lot on here that they dont like you using it..

Thats good that we can leave stuff on the bus. I really dont want to be going out on the towns or going to the beach with my laptop or massive camera Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> Is the bus always near the campsites or do they have a set time they give you if you want to store anything in there? Do they have lockers at any of the campsites?

Not looking forward to cold showers!

What sort of foods does the chef cook up?

• 28 Oct 2010 lizzie said

lizzie

Ha its not the best experience spewing on the bus.. they make u double bag so u spew into 2 bags then u have to store it in the bathroom till the next stop.. Gross!!! lol

Our driver was awesome! super friendly and was an ozzie from sydney lol. With leaving stuff on the bus they dont say ok we r going to lock the bus now lol its more a u just leave it up the top in the luggage part before u get off. The bus is usually right outside the tents in the camp site unless its driving into town or they r cleaning it. None of the campsites had lockers that i can recall at all.

Food ours was pretty good its the kind of stuff u would have at home. So for instance we had chicken carbonara, we had chicken parmajana, steak, sweet and sour pork, beef and black bean beef, umm u know that kinda things, lasagna and pasta and rice dishes like stroganoff etc. We ad heaps of veggies too which was awesome and breaky was always a hot breakfast as well as fruit yoghurt and cereal.

• 1 Nov 2010 JP said

JP

Oh that is gross.. may refrain from drinking heavily on the nights before a big bus trip!!

What time do you usually leave the campsite in the morning for the next place?

All sounds good, cant wait!

• 1 Nov 2010 lizzie said

lizzie

As bad as the double bagging sounds trust me it is better to be hung over on the bus then wasting time in europe in some campsite because u are so insanly sick from drinking. Make the most of ur full free days!

leaving time varies depending on how far u have to travel and if u have to catch a ferry or if u have borders to cross. On average i would say probably 7 tho i can remember a few 6;30s and there was a few 730s and 8s but on average 7! also they wake u up usually an hr before u leave to pack the tents up and get ready to go because they plan the time tightly so u have to be up and packed and ready to go on time.

• 13 Nov 2010 Explorer1215792 said

Default_avatar

I’m looking to do this tour in 2011. Haven’t decided on dates yet. Also trying to figure out how much spending money i will need

• 14 Nov 2010 lizzie said

lizzie

I know this sounds cliche but none the less its true… It depends how much you plan on spending, if you eat out and if u do all the optional. I personally spent about 7000 AUD but i did all the optional, drank a bit not heaps I had a few big ones and then a lot of one drink nights, I hate at some nice places other times would grab a sandwich and I bought pretty much everything I wanted.. I didn’t but heaps of clothes tho.

We had others who spent heaps more and others who spend heaps less.

If you do all optional thats 1000 already.. not all are worth it but Im still glad i did them. UI would recommend about 5000 AUD if your happy doing most optional only having a few big nights and dont shop excessively or eat at restaurants every lunch possibly even less, but this amount is hard to judge everyone will be different.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion