Community_discussions_small  

Comment

So girls, what to do with your hair...

29 Jul 2009 kylie101 said

Default_avatar
Hey, I'm not heading away until summer 2010 to Europe, but looking through the brochure and seeing everyone all nicely straightened and frizz-free hair, just wondering what you girls do? Chances are I'll chop it shorter before I go... Straightening my hair everyday is possibly ridiculous, not to mention - are all the plugs the same across Europe?
  • 30 Jul 2009 Explorer1123323 said

Default_avatar

Hi Kylie

I took mine and I’m glad I did…you take lots of pics so you have to make sure that you look good!!! Also you have lots of nites out.

Just a reminder, always straighten your hair in the morning cause sometimes you will get into a place late in the afternoon and will only have like 15 minutes to freshen up before going into town.

All the places that you stay at have plugs in the rooms except for the Chateau, the plugs are in the bathroom or the corridor (very weird)but a couple rooms have plugs inside. All the plugs are the eurpoean ones so just make sure the correct plug.

Also watch the voltage of your hair straightner, not sure where you are from but always check as you don’t want to blow your hair straightner on the first day so get the voltage coverter if you need. I come from South Africa and we work on the same voltage as Europe so I didn’t need one.

Have fun on your trip Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 Jul 2009 lizz_112 said

Default_avatar

Hi Kylie!

I just got back from a 25 day tour of Europe (with 5 days in London prior) and I stupidly left my straightener (that was for both me and the friend I was travelling with) on the bathroom basin. D’oh!

We bought a new one in London because there was NO WAY I could deal for a month with my hair naturally :P.

Straightening it was good, when we had the time to. Especially with the long driving days, or city days where you go straight out (or have very limited time to get ready – for example in Amsterdam we had ten minutes to get off the coach, get up to our rooms, get changed, and get back to the coach! Most girls did their make up on the coach!! haha) I’d recommend washing and straightening your hair the night before, especially when you have a bathroom attached to your room!

Other than that, if I knew I couldn’t be bothered drying and straightening it, I’d braid my hair after washing it, sleeping with the braids and then having curly hair behind a hairband the next day. It allowed me to wear my hair out, but worry less about frizz!

Its all up to you really, but I’d definitely take the straightener just in case!

Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> Hope that helps!

• 13 Aug 2009 PinaI said

PinaI

I take nothing. I’m on holiday and there to relax. No one knows me, who cares what I look like LOL?!

There are hairdryers in some hotels which you can use if your desperate but I definitely wouldn’t waste my valuable Europe seeing or sleep time on straightening my hair! Take mousse, scrunch it, you’ll be fine!

• 15 Aug 2009 cassie said

cassie

i know.. its easy to say that but not everyones hair scrunches nicely… mine just goes stringy and the gel makes it look dirty lol… i feel more comfortable when i know i look presentable so Ill definately be taking my straightener… Just a quick 5 minute go over with the straightener probably wont cut into my time too much Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 16 Aug 2009 Lisa R. said

Default_avatar

I also agree. I am actually going to do the keratin straightening treatment to my hair before I go. It’s chemical free so it’s not damaging to your hair like the japanese straightening. It’s pricey but I found a place that does it for $150. I love it because it takes the frizz out and I can then blow dry my hair in 10 minutes and feel polished rather than deal with gel, mousse, etc.

• 16 Aug 2009 Lisa R. said

Default_avatar

You can also wash your hair at nite and let it air dry and then touch it up with flat iron in the morning. No blow dryer needed….

• 17 Aug 2009 cassie_lea said

Default_avatar

I think I have to agree with PinaI, I dont think I could be bothered doing my hair everyday. I will be in a different country and wont know anyone and they wont know me.
    That said I will have my straightener with me, only because I am moving to London after my tour.

• 17 Aug 2009 Tabitha said

Tabitha

I’m definitely taking my straightner with me….
    Considering I’ll be taking so many pics, I want to look good.
    But like Lisa R. said, plan on washing my hair at night and just going over it quickly in the morning with my straightner..considering I so this now, it’s probably the best option for me.

• 19 Aug 2009 Lisa R. said

Default_avatar

Michelle,
    keep in mind that while I have a great hook-up at a great price, the keratin treatment normally runs $300-$450 or so, which is crazy because it washes out gradually. Don’t be bummed if you can’t find it cheaper. Also, I live in NYC…..GOOD LUCK.

• 19 Aug 2009 lizzie said

lizzie

well im lucky i have ringlets so hardly ever use a straightener, the only time i do is if i have my fringe out which normally i put i pin to the side, so i probably wont worry about it, if i had hair that frizzed badley etc then i definatly would. Europe is a once in a lifetime event and i want photos of me and my trip and therefore would like to look nice in these pics not like some people who was left in the 1980’s!

• 19 Aug 2009 lizzie said

lizzie

But each to there own im not because im lucky my hair is nice naturally!

• 19 Aug 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

I wasn’t going to (cos of weight & size), but I found a mini straightner at Priceline Pharmacy by Remington. It’s got worldwide voltage, & it’s great for just going over my hair & doing my fringe (the most stubborn part!). Even though I’m gonna miss my GHD, I’ve told myself I’m not going in the Contiki ‘beauty paegant’& no one will care if a strand or two are outta place. LOL. This little bubba one will do just fine Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 20 Aug 2009 lizzie said

lizzie

really how much does it weigh… it would be nice to be able to do my fringe properly when we go out

• 20 Aug 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

Oooh, good question Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->…….

….just got out the good ol’ kitchen scales & they weigh in at 232g. If you have super thick/coarse hair I wouldn’t recommend it, otherwise it’s perfect. (My hair gets thick, but I only use for top layer & fringe)

Hope this helps!

(Oh, & they come in pink or black & cost around $20)

• 20 Aug 2009 lizzie said

lizzie

i do have thick hair but its only my fringe lol. thanks heaps i think i will purchase and give it a trial before i go lol!! ur a champion!

• 20 Aug 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

No problems, we girls are all in the same boat, gotta help a sister out when ya can! LOL

• 27 Aug 2009 Michele W said

Default_avatar

Be careful with your straighteners! My friend just got back from Italy and she brought her CHI, used an adapter b/c we live in USA, but it killed her CHI. She lugged it al; around hoping it would work when she got home and it didn’t. Lucky for me, she bought a straightener while in Europe so now I get to use it on my trip!! I couldn’t use a straightener while in Europe the last time and cringe at my hair in every picture – you deifnitely need one if you usu use one!

• 17 Nov 2009 Kayleigh88 said

Default_avatar

ohhh gosh, how do u find out if your straightener will work with the voltage conversion stuff?? :s i dont want mine to not work!

• 25 Nov 2009 Gold Coast_Kel said

Gold Coast_Kel

i took my straightener with me when i went and took two plug convertors, one for london and one for everywhere else, i straightened my hair before heading out and would last the next day fine. Keep in mind you dont always have time to do your hair so dry shampoo works a treat :-)

• 27 Nov 2009 Morgz88 said

Morgz88

I didnt take my straightener on my tour, there was sooooo many girls that had theirs so we just borrowed from them. Its worth taking the proper straighteners though, because the mini ones take forever to heat up!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion