Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Hotels on the Simply Italy Tour

30 Sep 2007 meganhapp said

Default_avatar
Hi Everyone!

We were going to use Insight Tours until I heard about Contiki. Now I'm strongly leaning towards taking the Contiki tour, but I want a little more info about the hotels. We're going in mid-late September so it should be cool enough not to worry about air conditioning, but I'm concerned about the cleanliness of the hotels and the safety of my items should I need to leave stuff in the room. Are there any links to any of the hotels online or does anyone have any names of where Contiki books you for the Simply Italy tour? Any info would be fabulous! I also heard the hotels are little far out of the city - are we talking maybe a 5-10 Euro cab ride?

Thank you!
  • 4 Oct 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

The hotels used on the tours will be different on each tour.

Once you have booked your tour, and recived your documents (a few weeks before your trip) you will be given hotel names and locations.

As far as cabs go, most people spilt them between a group and the cost isn’t that bad. No idea what the actual cost is though Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 Oct 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Well I’m not sure what you had heard of Insight Tours, it is owned by the same company that owns Contiki. Think of Contiki as the cheap tours, Trafalgar as the main stream and Insight as the high end tour. You’ll notice this in the prices charged. So what does money pay for? nicer hotels with better locations and more room on the bus (Insight tour buses have fewer seats, ie more leg room), and maybe some other stuff. Insight also has a lot more old people on it, as in, you’ll be lucky if you have anyone close in age to you.

Trafalgar has a group of tours called Breakaway Tours, they sound a little more comfortable then Contiki (though they use some of the same hotels as contiki)and are geared toward the same age group. But I’ve heard a lot of complaints about their tours getting canceled.

The hotels on Contiki are ok. They’re not fancy, typical 3 star european tourist hotels. They are clean, though sometimes old, you’ll get fresh towels everyday. I found the hotels to generally be safe, though they aren’t always in the best areas. As for leaving valuables in a hotel room, that’s generally a bad idea, even in the nicest hotels. A lot of people have access to your room so things can happen. If you do leave something you should try to lock it up, even if it’s just a lock on your suitcase, every little bit of security you add deters criminals.

I’ve found the hotels aren’t too far out of the city, either you can take mass transit or it’s reasonable taxi fare. But Contiki uses so many different hotels so you wont know the location until you get your contiki documents.

• 17 Oct 2007 sharpec said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    My friend and I just got back from the Simply Italy tour.
    The hotels are the basics. Most of them were comfortable (though don’t expect comparable to North american hotels….. they do things differently in Italy).
    A lot of the bathrooms consist of toilets, sink, and a drain on the floor for the shower. They are basics, and totally fine, but don’t expect anything fancy.

Also, the hotels that are listed on your itinerary are not neccessarily what you will end up staying at. We had hotels changed 3 times during the trip, due to “scheduling problems” with the hotel.

Also, while the hotels (especially in Rome) were not central, all were very close to the metro, and it was easy to get around via walking, or by train. Your tour manager makes sure to tell you about transport, gives you maps of each city you have free time in, and is really a fountain of useful information.

Let me know if you have any questions about the tour. I literally just got back 4 days ago!

Chelsea
    - Simply Italy 2007 -

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.