Community_discussions_small  

Comment

First Aid Kits

21 May 2009 tiny_dancer said

Default_avatar
Hey,
I'm going traveling for approx 4 months and I'm a nurse so I am having trouble cutting down the size of my first aid kit. ... The "just incase" exucse keeps coming in with most things. What have most people taken os when going for extended times?
I even bought myself a 'basic first aid kit' to see what is "basic" but couldn't help but add more things to it!
Any suggestions?
Thanks. Mel Smiler
  • 22 May 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

Hi Mel! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

This is what I’ll be taking:

- Nurofen
    - Antihistamine
    - Rescue Remedy drops (Soothe those flying anxieties)
    - Kwells (to prevent travel sickness)
    - Stemzine (in case I get travel sick)
    - Prescription medication
    - A sml box of bandaids

I presume that anything else ‘first aidy’ that you may need would be on the bus, Contiki would have to have something like that on hand just in case I reckon.

Umm, that’s about it? Anyone else got ideas?

• 22 May 2009 Jeremy said

Jeremy

All those things are still sold in Europe. I only took bandaids and survived without using a single one. I can imagine antihistamine is probably a good idea for a fast response, and air medication to make you sleep or if you get naseous for the red eye, but thats pretty much it. Everything else is not really necessary immediately and can be picked up quick if you have symptoms. Although cough medicine for the contiki cough might be good too.

• 22 May 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jeremy:
    All those things are still sold in Europe. I only took bandaids and survived without using a single one. I can imagine antihistamine is probably a good idea for a fast response, and air medication to make you sleep or if you get naseous for the red eye, but thats pretty much it. Everything else is not really necessary immediately and can be picked up quick if you have symptoms. Although cough medicine for the contiki cough might be good too.

Jeremy is right just about anything you would need you can easily get in Europe or would be part of the bus first aid kit. Plus you’ll have to carry part of this stuff around with you all day long which is going to be a bit of a pain

The only things that i would bring from home would be any prescription-only medication that I need, a few band aids just for the occasional nick, and probably nyquil / pepto just because sometimes the language barrier makes it hard to explain these in a pharmacy. I read that another poster was trying to ask for something for motion sickness and ended up with medication for depression.

• 22 May 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

Hey guys my list will include the following:

-bandaids
    -panadeine (for those killer headaches after a big night out)
    -olive leaf syrup (great for coughs!)
    -antihistamines
    -sleeping tablets (for long flights)
    -penicilin (prescription for when you get real sick, great for people prone to tongsilitis)
    -nasal spray (nothing worst than not being able to breathe when u wanna sleep)
    -eye drops
    -hand sanitizer
    -multi vitamins

• 23 May 2009 Lissy said

Default_avatar

Just to let you know, you can get cough supressants in both capsule & lozenge form, would be tonnes easier than carting a bottle of mixture around with you Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I figure that you can bring the basics from home (to save money & time on your tour) then pick up anything else you may need in Europe. Although imodium is a great idea, you will be eating differently over there, so better be prepared for an upset tummy.

• 24 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

Everyone should add some Strepsilis packs to their lists, They are honestly the best for throat problems, which for me was what ended up being my “Contiki Cough”.

I brought 3 boxes with me on my tour, and by Nice I had to buy 3 more boxes lol Everyone from the Driver to my tour-mates had one at some point, a number of people also went out and bought their own.

Also do not forget some Aloe Vera gel for the sunburns.

My packing list for my tour this summer is pretty much just 2 packs of Strepsils, 1 thing of Airborne, a pack of Once a day Multivitamins, and some Aloe Vera.

If I cut myself or anything worse, I will just be a man and rub some dirt into the wound lol

• 28 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

Pharmacy’s for the most part are pretty easy to come across in Europe I found. Hell in France they even have massive green neon crosses outside, very easy to spot.

As far as buying things, the only problem I found with that was the Language barrier, but that is kinda to be expected being that it is a different country.

I still managed to buy stuff in France(as stated above) and Italy on my last tour without any problems.

And for the most part if your tour is starting in London, you can find everything and then some at the “Boots” chain of pharmacies that seem to plague the city lol

As far as the drugs being not as effective, I would say I have found the opposite while traveling to be honest.

• 28 May 2009 Alexi85 said

Alexi85

there are plenty of pharmacies around in europe and if you stick to the main tourist areas while shopping, i can guarantee you there will be at least one person in the pharmacies who will speak english.

i havent been to italy yet but i was raised in Greece and over half the population speak english quite proficiently. It’s a mandatory requirement to learn english in school.

by the way silent angel, if tablets are larger than normal (e.g. 5cm in diameter) it is more than likely it will be a tablet that needs to be dissolved in water. If you are unsure, best way to test is to touch the pill with your tongue before swallowing it to check if it fizzes or not.

Europe has a lot of medications such as aspirin and pain killers in a soluble disc forms.

to be on the safe side though, i do agree with you silent angel, that it is better to be safe than sorry. Packing your medications and things you might possibly need from home is much more preferable than spending time, money and energy in finding a pharmacy whilst everyone else is doing activities on your trip and on top of that trying to translate! lol

Also, the medicine wouldn’t take much room in ur suitcase at all and if you remove the pill packets from their boxes they will weigh next to nothing and take up no space. The only bulky things to avoid or at least try to get a smaller version would be bottled medicine such as syrups and some multivitamins. Those will weigh quite a bit when combined and take up extra space.

i have selected one very small bottle of couph syrup and everything else in pill forms to lay out in my suitecase.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.