Community_discussions_small  

Question

new york hotels??? please help

20 Sep 2010 loz2011 asked

Default_avatar
Hi
Hope someone can help i have just booked the eastern discovery starting on 31st May 2011! (new orleans to NYC) however i have 1 extra night in NYC does anyone know a decent hotel which is the heart of the action...i'm a solo first time traveller so don't want to be too far away but also don't want to pay heaps...oh and i'd prefer to not stay in hostel. any suggestions would be great! lauren
  • 26 Sep 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

The Wellington Hotel would be great, it’s only a few blocks from Central Park, it’s close to Times Square and it has great rates..for New York anyway!

• 27 Sep 2010 loz2011 said

Default_avatar

thanks, the skyline is already booked up! (crazy i know)i will check out the wellington. Anyone heard of the Hudson?? If so whats it like is it central?

Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 30 Sep 2010 veedub89 said

veedub89

You could try the Broadway hotel and hostel. That’s just down the road to the skyline and we found it cheaper for us when we do our contiki tour next year!

• 30 Sep 2010 scott-australia said

scott-australia

milford plaza is heaps good its the hotel contiki use, 1 block from times square. Heaps nice too, highly reccomend this

• 4 Oct 2010 scott-australia said

scott-australia

closed… what for?

• 4 Oct 2010 tahnzzz said

tahnzzz

I’m staying at the Big Apple Hostel on times square before my tour (Grand Southern starting NY on the 14th of Jan). It is very well priced and I have had a few friends recommend it to me based on their previous experience.

• 7 Oct 2010 loz2011 said

Default_avatar

thanks guys…don’t really do hostels as i’m on my own for the first time…but i will check out the wellington…anyone heard of the hudson..thats the one i am really thinking of.
    Oh…is anyone doing the eastern discovery starting in NO on 31st May 2011?? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Oct 2010 veedub89 said

veedub89

hi, ive just booked the gershwin hotel before my tour in july 2011 through booking.com as they have an offer on atm. hope this helps

• 7 Jan 2011 SallyD said

Default_avatar

Keep in mind that the subway system in NY is really easy to use so you do not need to be situated right in times square. Perhaps look at downtown hotels and hostels.
    I regretted not staying out of the centre… I stayed in a place called the Portland Square about 400m from Times Square when I went. Wasn’t the best hotel in the world but all I did was sleep there…

• 18 Jan 2011 Explorer1227197 said

Default_avatar

One of my friends had stayed in Wellington Hotel. It is really a nice hotel with reasonable rates and good location…….

• 19 Jan 2011 Matty said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I stayed at the Fashion 26 Hotel and it was amazing for the price… i couldn’t find anything close to the price of the Fashion 26 that was half decent. Its around 30th st or something, but a 10-15 minute walk and you are in Times Square

• 20 Jan 2011 fubzel said

Default_avatar

im staying at the hotel newton which is on broadway up near the 96th subway.

i found all my accomodation (LA/Vegas/NY and London) via tripadvisor…

go on there and do a search

• 24 Apr 2011 Explorer1235507 said

Default_avatar

hey im doing the eastern discovery starting in new orleans 31st may 2011! im 21 from new zealand solo traveller also!! are you staying a pre night in new orleans beforethe tour starts?

• 24 Apr 2011 IdealNY said

IdealNY

You have two options you can either stay in midtown manhattan where everything is at and pay alot of money, or stay in a neighboring borough like queens and get a nice hotel for a better price. I’ve lived in new york my whole life and when i have friends come to visit i have they stay in a hotel that’s located in long island city, queens, new york. Long Island City is a 5 min. train ride from manhattan. That’s what i recommend.

• 24 Apr 2011 IdealNY said

IdealNY

And I always book through hotels.com
    check out the “Days Inn Long Island City”. its right by the #7 train which brings you straight into the city in about 5 min

• 24 Apr 2011 loz2011 said

Default_avatar

thanks everyone i have booked the skyline now! (they had spaces afterall!!?) my trip starts in 5 weeks and i’m very excited about it all!! thanks again for the advice!

• 27 Apr 2011 Ky1987 said

Ky1987

I stayed at the Marrakech in Feb 09, this time in Sept 2011 i’ll be staying at the Intercontinental Barclay Hotel for 4 nights, Then the Skyline for the NY Explorer, then to the Holiday Inn Express Times Square for 5 nights then back to the Skyline for the night before my Grand Northern…

To the people who have been to any of these hotels, What are they like?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion