Community_discussions_small  

Question

New York Subway System???

10 Jan 2009 Stephanie asked

Default_avatar
Is it really that freaky and hard to work out? We are thinking it looks like the easiest way to get round and I found their website which is fantastic - you put in where you are starting and where you want to go and it tells you how to get there! What are everyones experiences of the subway like?
  • 10 Jan 2009 gig08 said

gig08

Hey Stephanie!
    The Subway system in NYC wasn’t too bad- a lot of maps around, and maybe a little confusing to start, but I’m sure you’ll be fine! Also keep in mind that if you really need to, there’s no shortage of the yellow taxis Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Jan 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

Probably the most confusing part is realizing that in Manhattan you have many lines that run through that start and end in outer boroughs. These lines typically run “express” through manhattan and only stop every couple stops. Then there are “local” trains that make every stop.

the 1, 2, 3 line (the 7th Ave line) – the 1 is the local, the 2 and 3 express trains.
    the 4, 5, 6 lines (the Lexington line) – the 6 is the local, the 4 and 5 express.
    the A, C, E lines (the 8th Ave line) – I think the A is express and the C and E are local, but don’t quote me on that.

Say you want to go from Battery park to Times Square. You could take the 1 train to Park place and switch to the 2 or 3 train and be in times square in 5-6 minutes, but if you stay on the 1 it will be 10-15 minutes.

Also the express trains may break off of the main line to go to the other boros at kinda random points, some will branch off in the midtown area, others way uptown.

• 12 Jan 2009 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

Yup, A is the express.

And some trains don’t run on the weekends.

I find http://hopstop.com/ the best

• 12 Jan 2009 ozzie daz said

ozzie daz

i live in darwin australia and there is no trains and the public transport is a bit hows ur father and there is certainly no subway! and when i was in New york in october i had a lash at the subway and got by its not as scary as ppl make out. and quite easy 2 work out.

• 13 Jan 2009 Stephanie said

Default_avatar

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your help – Im sure we will figure it out and be experts by the time our NY Explorer Tour starts!!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.