Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Going it alone ! Just wondering if anyone can help me with this one

19 Dec 2007 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen
Hi Everyone!
I'm thinking of travelling in May/June 2009 and so I'm saving madly but because I will be travelling alone by the looks of the contiki website I will have to have a single room and pay twice as much as what is mentioned.
I was wondering if anyone knows whether Contiki lets you share a room with other travellers who are travelling alone? Would they help organise something like that? I just think it would make everything cheaper for the single travellers...
or am I being wishful?
Even if just for the 24 week trip to be able to share with another person would be helpful and cheaper.

(I'm thinking of doing the New York Tour, Grand Northern and LA Scene tour)

Thanks !
- Kerri (22 yrs old female Perth, Western Australia)
  • 19 Dec 2007 ~LiSa~ said

~LiSa~

Hey
    If you do travel alone like i do with my tours… unless you request to be in a single room you get paired up with someone from the tour for your trip

• 19 Dec 2007 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen
    quote:
    Originally posted by LiSa:
    Hey
    If you do travel alone like i do with my tours… unless you request to be in a single room you get paired up with someone from the tour for your trip

That’s excellent! Thank you so much Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 19 Dec 2007 HD1712 said

HD1712

Contiki always pair you with a person/s in a twin, triple or quad room on the tours. Depending on location in USA and Europe generally twin share and Australia and NZ it generally triple or quad share.
    So unless you choose single you will be paired with a person same sex of course and contiki do actually try and match your ages where possible as well.

• 22 Dec 2007 Kirstie said

Kirstie

How much say do you have in who you are partnered with? Say you become good friends with someone else before or during the trip can you nominate to share a room or is it assigned and you just deal with it?

• 22 Dec 2007 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen

I was sort of wondering the same thing Kirstie…but for e.g. if I went on the Grand Northern trip would I be paired with the same person for the entire 24 days or would they mix me around with other single travellers giving me a chance to make more friends?

• 22 Dec 2007 simo said

Default_avatar

hey kerri ellen wad happens on tour is they pass round a board daily and u write the names of people u want to stay with so its ur choice hey

• 23 Dec 2007 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen

Thank you so much Simo! That sounds great Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Dec 2007 said

Default_avatar

I just finished a Grand Southern and everyone was paired at the start of the trip by the tour manager and that’s who you stayed with the whole time.

I unfortunately got paired with this really rude German woman but you hardly spend any time in your hotel room so no matter.

Everyone felt sorry for me but not sorry enough to swap hehehe….

It doesn’t really matter in the scheme of things, you’re too busy having the time of your life!

• 26 Dec 2007 Kerri-Ellen said

Kerri-Ellen

Hi Jess!

That sounds like such a worry…but I guess no matter where you go you will find someone that you do not get along with and if your stuck in a room with them then thats even worst Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

I’ll just see how I go…I remember travelling to Japan and there was this one girl who was rude to me the whole time for no reason at all. But I didn’t let her ruin my trip because as you said your having the time of your life ! Why let someone else ruin your fun?

I’m sure I’ll have nothing to worry about! Thanks so much for your post Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Dec 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I made it a point to eat with a different table/group at meals and sit with different people on the bus. That way you can adventually meet everyone on tour. Some you click with others well we won’t get into that.

I don’t know if they show the Las Vegas commercials everywhere but what goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas can apply to contiki as well.

If for some reason you don’t like your roomate for what ever reason just try to deal with it and don’t escelate the situation by commenting back or saying things. That makes you look bad. If its really bad quietly mention it to your TM early on so thing can get sorted out.

Unless you really like “your” space I’d share a room. Plus its cheaper.

• 26 Dec 2007 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

im going to to the best of usa aug 31 – sept 12
    and then the north by north east sept 12 – sept 23 by myself.
    i did contiki in europe this year with a friend and it was great, but as no one will go with me this time i figure why not…i’ll give it a go at being by myself, i’ll definately opt to share with another solo traveller.

• 29 Dec 2007 Michael said

Michael

I have done 5 contiki tours over the years and have travelled by myself on all of the and each time have been paired with people as this is what Contiki does if you are travelleing by yourself

When i did the London-Athens tou in 2005 and Reefs and Rainforests tour in OZ 2003 they switched you round if you werer travellign by self.
    On the other 3 tours was given a room mare at the start and they were the room mate for the entire tour.

It depends on what tour you do as to how they asign the rooms but if you are travellign by yourself you wioll always be paired with soemone else who is also travellign by themselves and are paired with the same sex male with male female with female
    hope this helps
    Mike from NZ
    Reefs N Rainforests 2003
    Southern ireland 2005
    London – Athens 2005
    Big Apple Explorer 2007
    Grand Northern 2007

• 30 Dec 2007 Mic said

Default_avatar

It won’t matter what your roommate is like as most people spend very little time in their rooms (apart from sleeping).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.