Community_discussions_small  

Comment

cell phone

12 Aug 2008 lady_o said

lady_o
is it possible to text message from a personal cell phone in Europe?
  • 13 Aug 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

I suspect you are from North America since you are using the term “cell phone” (however I could be wrong) and in that case, you should check with your service provider.

- Vic

• 13 Aug 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I would check with your service provider, even if you can the charges might be higher.

• 13 Aug 2008 lady_o said

lady_o

thanks guys. and yes ptooma—I am from N.A. just curious…what does everyone else call it? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 13 Aug 2008 work2travel said

work2travel
    quote:
    Originally posted by lady_o:
    just curious…what does everyone else call it? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

A mobile.

• 14 Aug 2008 CherrySA said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    thanks guys. and yes ptooma—I am from N.A. just curious…what does everyone else call it? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Dont worry us South African’s also call it a cell phone! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 18 Aug 2008 LabRat said

Default_avatar

It may be cheaper to just buy a new sim card over there… ? (did that in Italy 2005) Just a thought. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 19 Aug 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by LabRat:
    It may be cheaper to just buy a new sim card over there… ? (did that in Italy 2005) Just a thought. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

If you do this though make sure your phone isn’t locked to your network- in Aus more often than not if you buy a phone from one company you it won’t work with sim cards from other companies. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Aug 2008 LabRat said

Default_avatar

Ahhh, Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> good point. Bought old phone in UK + had to unlock for NZ (free), so that’s probably why it worked. May still be worth checking out global unlocking… though previous posts suggest its not worth the hassle Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’ll be trying new phone over Dec 08 europe, if it doesn’t work… it’ll become an alarm clock Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> (all good)

• 29 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez
    quote:
    is it possible to text message from a personal cell phone in Europe?

Hi Lady O, Yes you should be able to send texts but phone your service provider before you leave to ensure that International roaming has been activated on your account.

As mentioned by some other members however, it’s often cheaper to buy a prepaid sim card in Europe and use that. In that case it’s also worth checking that your phone isn’t blocked to use only your home provider.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.