Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Luggage question- please help!

22 Apr 2009 Explorer1129950 said

Default_avatar
Hi, I'm going on the european adventure tour in August and I am trying to work out what type of luggage I need! I know that suitcases are recommended, but for the first part of my trip, I need a backpack. Someone told me that for contiki we have to have suitcases, so I was just wondering if this is true- because if it is, I'm a bit stuck!

Thanks!!!
  • 22 Apr 2009 Chelsea1013 said

Chelsea1013

What I am doing is taking a Backpack and a Suitcase. I am taking a regular size backpack for my “Day bag” that I will actually be taking on the bus and the a small/medium size suitcase for clothes etc. Plus I am packing a small purse in my suitcase for going out at night (so i don’t have to take my backpack out)

• 22 Apr 2009 Cherie said

Default_avatar

hey, my friends have been on contiki and taken backpacks so it should be fine…well i hope so coz i’m taking a backpack for my contiki tour!! i think you can take either as long as it weighs under 20kgs when ya leave…or i could be wrong Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 23 Apr 2009 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Hi Explorer, when you say backpack you mean a big backpacking one hey?? not a school bag size.. if thats the case then yes I think you’re stuck lol Contiki have restrictions and guidelines for the luggage, you can find the dimesnsions etc in contikipedia I think.. but you could always start with your backpack for the first part of your trip then buy a suitcase over there, swap it all over then send your backpack home..

Good Luck :-D

• 23 Apr 2009 Explorer1129950 said

Default_avatar

thanks everyone…i’m still trying to researching, because it’ll be a hassle to have to change luggage half way through! If anyone knows the hard-fast answer, let me know!

• 23 Apr 2009 said

Default_avatar

The Backpack and Suitcase suggestion wasn’t talking about changing half way, the Backpack serves as the daybag in this situation you use when walking around the Cities. Normally you put your camera, a jacket, maybe hoodie and its a place to store the things you buy while you are in the city.

The Suitcase/Backpack debate is really just personal, so it is up to you, Contiki’s only rule I believe is that your backpack cannot be a Framed Backpack, it has to be soft.

If you want to take a Backpack take one, if you want to take a Suitcase, take one. You wont have problems either way.

• 23 Apr 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

You can take a suitcase or a backpack, the backpack can’t be metal framed though. Either one has to be within the size guidelines. Some people love backpacks some love suitecases, take whichever works for you.

• 26 Apr 2009 Alan-au said

Default_avatar

just a quick question.. when you say no metal frame backpacks, are you talking about the ones with internal or the external metal frames?

• 26 Apr 2009 Katieee said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure it’s only the external frame ones that you aren’t allowed to take, as they can damage other people’s luggage and would be a pain to pack in the coach.

• 26 Apr 2009 said

Default_avatar

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure its both internal and external framed packs.

• 26 Apr 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Katieee:
    I’m pretty sure it’s only the external frame ones that you aren’t allowed to take, as they can damage other people’s luggage and would be a pain to pack in the coach.

This is correct. External frame not allowed.

- Vic

• 6 May 2009 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

Best thing ever is a hybrid bag! Has wheels and a handle for the times when you are able to drag it along, but also has backpack straps (usually able to zip these away) for times where you need to negotiate stairs.

I was forever thankful not having to wait for a lift in hotels barely larger than a toilet cubicle :O

• 19 Jun 2009 Asian.gem said

Default_avatar

what if you have the wrong luggage size? does it matter? or its the luggage size very restricted when you are on the tour?

• 21 Jun 2009 Explorer1139583 said

Default_avatar

Got a piece of paper in my Contiki wallet saying no duffel bags. How strict are they with this?

I don’t own any other luggage other than a duffel bag. Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion