Community_discussions_small  

Question

2009 Scandi/Russia 22 days starting 22nd June?

15 Sep 2008 Lindy asked

Default_avatar
Hi I'm an aussie chick from Melbourne looking at booking the Scandinavia/Russia tour which starts in Riga around 22nd June 2009. (I'm only guessing this date since the contiki dates for 2009 is not yet available). I will be travelling alone so keen to meet others prior to the trip.
  • 18 Oct 2008 Lindy said

Default_avatar

I’ve now booked this tour for 22nd June (starting in Riga) as estimated previously. I’m interested in meeting people who are also doing this trip or thinking about booking it.

• 13 Nov 2008 twatson said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I’m 50/50 at this stage. Ive traveled quite a bit myself but am unsure about going on a tour. Seems to be some advantages but a few dis advantages as well. What made you pick this tour?

Cheers

• 13 Nov 2008 Lindy said

Default_avatar

I’ve travelled a lot with contiki and find their tours heaps of fun and a good way of seeing the highlights of each country when travelling on your own. For me, I use the tours as an introduction to a country and to decide where I would like to get back to in the future to spend more time. So the reason for this tour is that it’s one of the few contiki tours left I haven’t yet done and my past experiences tell me it’s going to be great!

Default_avatar

sounds like you like contiki!

Yes, good thinking. I think I’ll have to copy that idea Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> It seems a good way to get the best of both worlds. Which airline did you choose? Do you know other people on the same tour?

Cheers

• 13 Nov 2008 Lindy said

Default_avatar

I’m flying Fin Air. I don’t really know much about the airline but believe they use Cathay Pacific planes. I decided to stay completely clear of qantas after all the dramas of late. Where are you flying from? I think my flight goes from Melbourne to Hong Kong to Helsinki and then to Riga. All up 31.5 hours!! Aaahhhh.

Default_avatar

Last couple of times I went to holland via singapore using singapore airlines. They do use qantas planes from oz to singapore however Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I still haven’t completely decided to go as yet. I emailed contiki to see if I could find out the ages of the people booked already. I’m 33 and would be traveling solo. I’m pretty young at heart but would like a few people over 25 atleast Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Yes Ive had a couple of those ~30 hour flights before. I don’t think you can ever get used to them! Esp if you have a big one the night before.

I’ll be traveling from brisbane.

• 13 Nov 2008 Lindy said

Default_avatar

I’m 28 and I am on facebook. Feel free to send me an email at lindy130@hotmail.com

• 30 Nov 2008 James2211 said

Default_avatar

Hello. I have not booked this trip yet, but I intend to. So far I have managed to organise my flights using frequent flyer points. I got myself a flight with Qantas to Hong Kong, then Finnair to Riga via Helsinki. I will be landing in Riga about 5:00pm on the 22nd so I may not be at the hotel by 6:00 but I can’t see that being a problem.

I’m 34, so you won’t be the oldest on the tour at least twatson. I could be wrong but I expect this tour would attract a slightly older crowd compared to the ‘traditional’ tours of Western Europe. I’ve done one Contiki tour before, but that was in the USA so I am expecting this to be somewhat different.

If anyone wants to have a chat, write to me at james.rope@gmail.com

• 13 Dec 2008 kweg83 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone. My name is Kristina and I am 25 years old from California. I am getting ready to put my deposit down for the June 24, 2009 departure (beginning in Moscow). I am happy to see that it is a slightly older crowd that is interested in this tour!

• 14 Dec 2008 Lindy said

Default_avatar

Hi Kristina,

This trip is going to be fantastic! Glad to hear you are going to be joining us on this adventure. I’m starting in Riga but flights weren’t the easiest to find! What made you decide to start in Moscow? So have you done much travelling to date?

• 19 Dec 2008 twatson said

Default_avatar

Hi kristina and james

good to see more chit chat in here!

I still havent booked but it gets closer to 2009 the more keen I get.

Which parts of the tour is everyone looking forward to the most?

Cheers

• 22 Dec 2008 James2211 said

Default_avatar

Since you asked, the part of the trip I am most looking forward to is the start (for me in Riga). Not so much because I am keen to see Riga, just because the start of a trip is always a great experience.

I know it is a pretty lame answer, but I am genuinely interested in every part of this trip. I have wanted to see Scandinavia ever since I first heard about Erik the Red and Leif Erikson. And when I saw Contiki offered a tour that took me to Scandinavia and also places like Moscow, St Petersburg and Helsinki, well I just had to get myself on it. I’m not real sure what to expect in Moscow, but I am quite sure I will love it.

• 23 Dec 2008 twatson said

Default_avatar

That all sounds pretty cool to me. Myself I’m keen for this tour mainly because it goes to countries that I most likely would not go to by myself. Like you I have very little idea what to expect which makes it all the more exciting!

• 31 Jan 2009 kweg83 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    lindy130@hotmail.com

Hello again everyone! I am now officially booked on this tour and also booked my air into Moscow. After the tour, I will be staying in Europe for another week (heading down to Austria and Germany to visit family). Anyone else going to stick around after the trip?

• 31 Jan 2009 Lindy said

Default_avatar

Due to restrictions on my annual leave from work, I’m arriving on what they classify as the first day of the tour and departing on the last day to go back to Australia. I wish I could stick around longer. I love Europe!

• 16 Mar 2009 Maria_V said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone. My name is Maria and I am from Toronto, Canada. I’m doing Russia and the Baltic tour (starting in Riga). I’ll be spending a couple extra days in Riga before the tour, is anyone else arriving early (i’ll be there on June 20th)?

so excited Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Maria

• 27 Mar 2009 carnie said

Default_avatar

Hey all. I am also doing the tour starting in Riga on 22 and finishing in Stockholm. I am 31 and excited about the older crowd too!!! I am from Sydney. I arrive in Riga on 21 June. This will be about 5 weeks into my travels so just spending a little bit of time in Sweden with some people I know and then heading back to Sydney on about 8 July. I have around the world ticket (as going to USA first)but have a number of flights with Fin Air. Have a night in Helsinki on 20 June

• 12 Apr 2009 Rob said

Default_avatar

Hey folks! My name is Rob and I am from Canada. I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences in Russia. I will be joining you for the Scandi portion of the tour.

• 16 May 2009 Redheaded Carly said

Default_avatar

Hi All-
    I’m a 32 year old Californian looking forward to the trip. I start in Moscow and will stay an extra day in Copenhagen? Anyone else staying extra time?

Cheers,
    Carly

• 17 May 2009 James2211 said

Default_avatar

Hi Carly. I will be staying an extra night in Copenhagen at the end of the tour. No plans for actually doing anything at this stage. I will probably either entertain myself somehow in Copenhagen or maybe get a train to Malmo.

I don’t know if this matters to those of you not from Australia, and it certainly won’t matter to people starting the tour in Stockholm, but I went to the Russian Embassy this morning and I was told that Tari Tours; the local Russian Tour company that has to provide paperwork for us to get a visa; has lost their licence. Any others that are going on the Russia part of the tour having problems with getting a visa?

James

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion