Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Exchange Rate

11 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar
Is anybody else kind of worried about exchanging for american dollars at the moment? lol, it's US .65c to a NZ dollar...it used to be 75c! I'm losing money! Kinda ticked that I won't have as much spending money...will it go back up?
  • 12 Sep 2008 Brandon_M20 said

Default_avatar

It will depend on a lot of things but I’m hoping it stays with its 10 day trend and keeps going as I’m trading U.S. for Euros here in a few months and would love it if we got close to evening things up.

• 12 Sep 2008 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

The US Gov has decided to bail out some major financial institutions which may make the US Dollar stronger now. Not much stronger but somewhat a little better.

Sorry!

• 13 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

yeah it’s that Fanny Mae company right? I read that in the paper as well, I see it’s gone up one cent today so hopefully it will continue to go up. I’ve never been so interested in the economy until now!

• 13 Sep 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

yeh it is funny how you become interested in the economy!

i bought some american dollars when it was US.98 it to the australian dollar and now its down to like .84 or something so i am happy with that, but considering most of my stuff will be on my credit card i hope it keeps movin on up!

• 14 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

When I went to the states in 2006 it was 81c to the aussie dollar this time it was 96c so I got US dollars for 91c now it’s like 84c which means most banks are selling them at 79c – kinda makes me glad I went when I did! I don’t think you can predict if a dollar will go up or down unfortunately! When I went to Europe in 2001 the aussie dollar was at a 10 year low. All you can do is cross your fingers!

• 14 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

Yeah I guess it won’t be so bad. Meh, i’m not there to shop anyway!

• 16 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

LOL are you being sarcastic Pervy? If it’s the Labour cuts your talking about I thought I read in the paper that the cuts are only going to benefit those already earning like $30,000 a year which alas I am not…however I may brush up my research on that topic.
    In any case, I changed some money over today people- for my hotels. $3,500 and got $2,400 in return. Needless to say, OUCH. However, with the stock market crash I didn’t want to take any more chances with the market and decided to buy before it got any worse. And I still have money to change over later if indeed it goes up.
    It’s kind of a relief now actually, I felt like I was playing a game of Deal or No Deal.

• 16 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Do you think Labour will win?? Anything will help. Plus gas came down again. I’m going to change some money soon too.
    I went to the states once and it was at 42cents to the dollar.

Default_avatar

I return brushed up…actually the tax cuts will benefit those earning $20,000 plus…by $12 a week. But I guess your right, anything will help. Personally, I’m rooting for National I think Labour is on the outs with the country…anyway a bit off topic for non-New Zealanders. Yeah went to the BNZ the ladies were cringing when I changed my money over for 64cents, needless to say I pointed out to them that 64 cents might be a bargain if it goes down any further…to say 42 cents (that must have been harsh). The lady was almost gloating saying it was 81 cents when she went “in ’81.” Well, I wasn’t born in ‘81, lady! I see it’s 66 cents now…

• 16 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Makes a change from all the Australian talk. I might give Winston my vote Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> . When do you start your tour?
    When it was 42cents I was lucky as I was staying with people i’d meet on my Europe contiki. Only had to pay for transport and food and drink.

Default_avatar

It all evens out I guess! I leave on the 15 November for LA and then 22 November for NYC, can’t wait! Think it’s something like 58 days haha, that’s why i’m getting antsy about the exchange rate. And where are you headed my fellow Kiwi?

• 16 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

I’m doing the Grand Southern starting May 28th then heading up to Seattle then onto Vancouver to do the Canada and Rockies with the Stampede.

• 16 Sep 2008 Pervy said

Pervy

Hey, here’s my way of getting over the dollar dropping. Think about the tax cuts coming up in October and just add that to your spending money. It’s how I stop crying myself to sleep at night.

• 20 Sep 2008 Rebecca said

Default_avatar

Hey people, I wouldn’t worry too much, you will notice that pretty much EVERYTHING in the US is half the price of what you pay in Australia. Even if our dollar was trading at 50c USD, you’d still pretty much break even. I couldn’t believe how cheap thing are over there….it’s mind blowing. Even Billabong, Roxy, Element and Rip Curl t shirts are $20.00 US. Here they’re $40 plus. Skate shoes that here are $200+ are like $40 – $60 there. Eating out is cheap, shopping, so many things. I recommend going over with a pretty much empty suitcase and buying everything there. I’m spewin I stocked up on everything here before departing.

It does suck though, as in early August, Australian economists were precdicting that the Australian dollar would reach parity with the USD. (Equal value)

Bloody mis-managed companies!!!!!!!!!!

• 20 Sep 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar

LOL I reckon- greedy people.
    Someone else mentioned America is cheap but I didn’t realise THAT cheap! A roxy or Billabong shirt in New Zealand would go for like fifty dollars or even sixty or seventy if it was a nice one. can’t believe that! I was sorta planning on going over there with a buttload of money to shop so my dreams were kind of shattered but now things are looking up again! Thanks Rebecca lol I’ll be sure to bring an extra large suitcase!

• 13 Oct 2008 JessQuills said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1085990:
    It all evens out I guess! I leave on the 15 November for LA and then 22 November for NYC, can’t wait! Think it’s something like 58 days haha, that’s why i’m getting antsy about the exchange rate. And where are you headed my fellow Kiwi?

Oh wow..I arrive in LA on 15 November and NY 22 December.. crazy. What are your plans??

• 14 Oct 2008 Jess said

Default_avatar

Dollar was up today wooo! 70c! Not great but better than 64c!

• 14 Oct 2008 Explorer1085990 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Oh wow..I arrive in LA on 15 November and NY 22 December.. crazy. What are your plans??

hey im doing LA scene on 16th and then big apple explorer 25 (but arrive 22nd) of november!

woo hoo i got my credit card over the weekend lol it’s so shiny..

• 24 Oct 2008 Nicholas said

Default_avatar

61.2c at the moment. How depressing

• 25 Oct 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

yeh, it sucks big time!

im having to take so many more shifts at work so that i have a reasonable amount of spending $$$ that i am not studying at all for my exams ! lol hope i dont fail!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion