Community_discussions_small  

Question

Has anyone gone on the Asian Adventure before?

3 Dec 2009 Explorer1158251 asked

Default_avatar
Please leave any advice you may have. I know a lot of readers would love to hear.
  • 7 Dec 2009 sunsetfiesta said

sunsetfiesta

yes I certinly would, I am going on the Asian Adventure on 9th March so would love to hear some opinions!

• 11 Dec 2009 Explorer1160414 said

Default_avatar

I have also been looking at this trip. I did a Contiki Europe trip about 10 years ago that was awesome. It was quite a good value also.

I enjoy the social aspect of the Contiki and them handling all the logistics. However, I am a little hesitant about the Asian Adventure trip because it seems overpriced. Lodging and travel is very cheap in this area, and I’m not sure the convenience and social aspect is worth the premium in this case.

So, I’d also like to hear from people who have actually gone on this tour.

• 15 Dec 2009 Am said

Default_avatar

Hi There! I’m also intersted in getting some feedback on this tour, I’m thinkinf about doing the one that begins on Feb 16.

Cheers,
    am

• 13 Jan 2010 Christine said

Default_avatar

I have just completed this tour (starting 22 December 2009)and was completly blown away. It really was a special experience. Hotels are all surprisingly good apart from the one used in Vang Vieng. The nicest hotel in my opion was the one used in Siem Reap. all the hotels apart from the ones in Laos had swimming pools, mini bars, internet etc

Our tour manager was very organised, relaxed and helpful and the local tour guides used, were very informative. The various types of transport (boats, planes, tuks tuks etc) used definitely makes the trip more interesting, aswell as a nice break from the usual bus transport that contiki uses on other tours.

Even though a large area was covered in 14 days, the trip did not feel too rushed and offered plenty of free time to unwind or discover things contiki did not offer.

Laos was definitely my favourite country on the tour, this also helps that most of the time of the tour is spent in Laos. Fantastic scenery, the friendliest people. Although thats not to say Thais and Cambodians are not.

Sure the trip seems overpriced but in my opinion its not as I mentioned above, the standards of the hotels used are all good. 2 Flights are included in the price aswell. All the meals included in the price are of excellent quality, although the breafasts in the hotels are of course catered mostly for Asian guests (“Western” breakfasts are offered but with not so many varieties) On the sharing option, you only share with one other person, I think the NZ tour was sharing with up to 4 people on some stops. Asia being relatively cheap makes up in all your outside tour expenses.

The biggest advice I can think of right now, is to go with an open and relaxed mind, these are developing countries so the level of service outside of contiki, will not be the same as back home. Very Very Very relaxed! Also be aware everything is not the same as what it seems ( Same Same but different) If you enjoy drinking wine leave it for Luang Prabang ( better and more choice) Else stick to beer (singha, Chang, Beer Lao) or the very STIFF cocktails (free pour)

There is no need to worry about Visas (Cambodia and Laos) beforehand they are all issued on arrival and those that organised visas prior to the trip landed up having paid more back home. Bring some US dollars which you will need for the visas awell as local payment, tip and optional activities. Also you will only be using US Dollars in Cambodia, ATMS there give out Dollars (everything seems to cost $1 dollar there) You will receive your change in dollars however the cents will be given to you in the local currency.

Anyway thats all the advice I can think of now. The trip is worth the money especially considering you really can sit back and relax while everything is done for you!! Negotiating trips, excursions etc in Asia is not that smooth organising on your own!

• 19 Jan 2010 Aleta said

Default_avatar

Hey here is an Asian adventure traveler on March 9th… let me know if there is some one else coming so we can contact in advance.
    Regards
    Aleta

• 21 Jan 2010 Explorer1158251 said

Default_avatar

Thank you Christine!!! The information is much appreciated!

• 21 Jan 2010 Explorer1166147 said

Default_avatar

HELLO Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> I am looking to travel on the Asian Adventure in NOV 2010, anyone else going? Going as a single gal, any roomies out there? LOL
    Cant wait, my 1st Contiki trip!

• 26 Jan 2010 Hayzp1037 said

Default_avatar

Hey im doing the indochina adventure in august, going solo from NZ n it will be my 1st, is anyone else thinking ov doin this tour???
    would love 2 hear frm u
    -Hayley

• 31 Jan 2010 sunsetfiesta said

sunsetfiesta
    quote:
    Originally posted by Aleta:
    Hey here is an Asian adventure traveler on March 9th… let me know if there is some one else coming so we can contact in advance.
    Regards
    Aleta

hey i’m doing that tour aswell

• 2 Feb 2010 Duffman said

Duffman

Hey all,
    I went on the big Indo china Adventure in Nov 2009 and had the time of my life. I traveled by myself but meet the coolest people ever. In my opinion they were what really made the trip. I meet my room mate hours before orientation and by the time we meet everyone else we were laughing, drinking and getting up to mischief.

I’ve bin home for only a couple months now but i’ve already meet back up with people from the tour, crashed on their couches and kept on partying just like on tour.

The acommadation on tour is pretty comfy, considering you dont spend a huge amount of time in your room they are more than acceptable. Food’s awesome (with the exception of cockroach, but thats a diff story)

Best advice i can give is just go for it!!! Try everything or forever wish you had.

Any question feel free to e- mail me and ask

• 4 Feb 2010 littlegremlin82 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1166147:
    HELLO Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> I am looking to travel on the Asian Adventure in NOV 2010, anyone else going? Going as a single gal, any roomies out there? LOL

HEY THERE! My soon to be hubby and I are also looking at going on this tour in Nov (14th) and would love to talk o anyone else think of doing it too Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Feb 2010 Explorer1164814 said

Default_avatar

Hello Duffman,

I am going on Asian Adventure tour on April 7th. I was hoping you could answer few of my questions. Did you get any vaccinations before your trip? Also, did you get to ride an elephant as promised? And finally, where should one expect the best shopping place out of all the trip? Thanks for your help!

-Vlada

quote:
    Originally posted by Duffman:
    Hey all,
    I went on the big Indo china Adventure in Nov 2009 and had the time of my life. I traveled by myself but meet the coolest people ever. In my opinion they were what really made the trip. I meet my room mate hours before orientation and by the time we meet everyone else we were laughing, drinking and getting up to mischief.

I’ve bin home for only a couple months now but i’ve already meet back up with people from the tour, crashed on their couches and kept on partying just like on tour.

The acommadation on tour is pretty comfy, considering you dont spend a huge amount of time in your room they are more than acceptable. Food’s awesome (with the exception of cockroach, but thats a diff story)

Best advice i can give is just go for it!!! Try everything or forever wish you had.

Any question feel free to e- mail me and ask

• 15 Feb 2010 Chris H said

Default_avatar

Hi Vlada, you do get to ride an elephant on the tour in Laos and it’s included in the price of the tour. I didn’t get any vaccinations. The best shopping would probably be in Bangkok but there are big markets in most of the places that you go to (the night markets in Luang Prabang are huge)

• 22 Feb 2010 Alice said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1166147:

Hey there! i am also wanting to go on the asian adventure tour in november this year Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> im 19 yo and from brisbane australia and also am a gal traveling alone Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> and also my first contiki!! so excited. I was going to go on the 28th of november. hope thats the same as u. let me no Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Mar 2010 Sophie90 said

Default_avatar

Hello, I’m going on the Asian Adventure June 9th. I’m also a girl travelling alone! Eek! Is anyone else here going on this tour? Would be cool to have a chat before we go. I’ll be travelling on the 8th from London with Emirates, message me on gulliver_1990@hotmail.com if you’re likely to be on my plane!!
    Thank you for all the advice, it’s really helpful.

Sophie xx

• 31 Mar 2010 rackova said

Default_avatar

I am thinking about doing this trip in the summer has its the only time i get off from work. Has anyone taken this trip in the summer months and if so what was the weather like?

• 14 Apr 2010 amym86 said

Default_avatar

I am booked on Asian Adventure starting 6th September… Anyone going on this tour?! Can’t wait, 1st Contiki!!!

• 24 Jul 2010 AmandaW said

Default_avatar

Hi! I did this tour with Christine and agree with everything she said! It was a great way to see South-East Asia, especially in places with so many customs and traditions – I tought the tour was the best option! I loved Laos, it was my favourite! Be sure to head to the bowling alley after you drink the wine Chistine was talking about in Luang Prabang! Lots of group bonding and fun! The cooking school option is also a must-do, was so much fun touring through the markets and then cooking a 5 course meal you all sat down and ate at the end…yum! The modes of transport as Chistine also mentioned break the trip up. I really enjoyed the 2 day Mekong Boat trip…was such a good way to see the country side as well as being able to move around and chat to your tour mates (which you cannot do so much of on a bus). Keep an eye out for the crazy boat people flying past at a million miles an hour! Take a good camera there are so many great photo opps. Im jealous, I would love to do it again! Have fun!

• 24 Jul 2010 AmandaW said

Default_avatar

Oh one more thing, even if you are thinking of going in the summer months (we went dec – jan 09) take a pair of jeans and a jumper. The wind chill factor on the Mekong Boat made it quite cold early in the morning! Apart from that though it was nice and warm!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion