Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Too Many Souvenirs!

19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG
Hey Guys,

I really want to do the Best of USA Tour, and was wondering, if I have already a packed suitcase with no more extra room, what happens or what do I do, if I buy thousands of souvenirs?
  • 19 May 2009 Rhianna said

Default_avatar

Yeah I think I have the same problem too as my contiki is the last thing on my 3 month trip, so when I get to NY before I leave on my tour, I am going to send a big box home of all the stuff. US postal service seems pretty reliable so I think that is the way to go. Depending on how much you send though it can cost a bit!

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Postal Service? I didn’t think of that. Are there many postal services in America? If to say, i didn’t do that, could i buy an extra suitcase, and have that loaded on the bus?

Default_avatar

Well as far as I know, contiki are relatively strict on how much they can allow on the bus. They have like measurements etc. of how big your suitcase can be, but no matter what I will have a suitcase and at least on carry bag and a backpack too so, hopefully that is ok. You can also send unaccompanied baggage back to Aust but im not sure how you go about doing that either. Could be pricey. Im just gonna chuck it all the stuff that I havent been using in a big box and send it on home.

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Yeah Contiki can be pretty strict. That idea sounds good: suitcase + carry bag + backpack. How big can your carry on be?

Default_avatar

Not too sure, mine is a pretty regular size, would probably fit the contents of 2 backpacks maybe? What tour are you doing?!

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

I’m doing: The Best of USA Tour, I need to visit the playboy Mansion in L.A, party my ass off and drink to my 21st in Las Vegas and live it up in the big apple, New York, New York! What about you?

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Thanks Melsie, will definitely post!

Default_avatar

Wow! Sounds like your going to have some great fun! Yeah im doing the grand northern but am studying in San Francisco and travelling down the west coast for a couple of months before hand. Pretty exciting! Yours should be great. But this issue of luggage is a bit worrying for me too!

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Yours sounds great too. What are you studying in San Fran?

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Thanks Melsie, will have a blast! What was your first drink in Las Vegas? And did you visit the Playboy Club while you were there?

Default_avatar

I will be studying at Berkeley for about 7 weeks, pretty excited, I leave this sunday! my contiki is at the end of august, whens urs?

Default_avatar

Im studying a philosophy course and a geography type one!

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Wow, your courses sound pretty jam packed! Sadly, my tour will be in a couple of years. Have to save, and what not.

• 19 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

And…turn 21!

• 19 May 2009 Frances B said

Frances B

To make space in my suitcase, I’m just taking fairly cheap clothes and then anything that can’t be easily bought again back home or that I won’t wear again, I’m just going to drop at a charity shop (or the American equivalent!) to leave room for any purchases I’ve made. And I’ve bought an expanding suitcase Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 20 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

A long island ice tea hey…interesting. What was in that? For my first drink, i’m thinking…a martini, could you recommend any good drinks?

• 20 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

An expanding suitcase? How much did you get it for? And where did you find it?

• 20 May 2009 Frances B said

Frances B

I got mine from TK Maxx for about £40, but you can get them all over. They just kind of have a few extra zips going around the edges and when you undo them, theres extra suitcase material inside them which expands the case… kind of hard to describe but there’s a link here as an example;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Piece-…Wheels/dp/B000UIVRJA

• 21 May 2009 MatyG said

MatyG

Thanks Frances, will definitely contemplate getting one, they look pretty handy, and will definitely come in use. The link was helpful too, thanks.

• 20 Jun 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

The “too many souvenirs” thing is something that concerns me a little too, lol! I don’t know when i’ll ever go back there, so I want to buy a little something from pretty much every city I visit. I figure my plan A will be to try not to take a full suitcase so that I’ll have room for storage of souvenirs, etc. Plan B will just have to be to send home packages of stuff that i’ve bought, every so often… cos I plan to be in the US for about 2.5 months, so there’s gonna be a lot of stuff bought! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion