Community_discussions_small  

Question

What clothes to pack and what to pack them in?

11 Jan 2007 lilhendo asked

Default_avatar
My friends and I are going on the grand Adventurer in NZ at the end of April. We were wondering what sort of clothes to pack (will it be warm or cold) and we didn't know whether we should take a suitcase of packs?
  • 3 Feb 2007 Jacqui said

Jacqui

Hi
    I was worried about the same thing b4 I left for my tour. All i did was keep an eye on the weather on the net b4 leaving. If your going in April it is going to be the start of winter so pack worm clothers. It is a little colder over there than here in Au. in somer over there it gets to 25 which is like our 30.
    hope this has helped. good luck and have fun.

Jacq

• 3 Feb 2007 Jacqui said

Jacqui

Oh and Take a suit case with wheels!!!

• 4 Feb 2007 Rache! said

Default_avatar

Hey Jacqui,

Thanks for the advice!…..I’m one of Lilhendos friends btw.

I’m tossing up between a suit case with wheels or a pack with wheels, what would you recommend?

Also when was your tour and how many people were on it?

Cheers
    Rach

• 8 Feb 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar

Heya
    the weather in New Zealand is pretty much the same as in tasmania. if you go in April it will be quite cool. I went in Novmeber and i had a wear a jumper most the time.. Having said that I live in Carins so im used to hot being hot.

Ive been overseas more than a dozen times and all but once Ive travelled with a backpack. The occasion on which I did use a suitcase with wheels was when I went on a cruise in 2003.. there wasnt alot of moving around with my luggage so there was no need to backpack. If you are moving around from place to place and esp if you need to walk places.. a backpack has far many more advantages than a suitcase. I took mine on my round the world trip last year to five continents and yeah, everything went sweet.
    Oh and you will also find that some travellers out there will look down on you if you have a suitase.. i dont know why.. but Ive seen it happen before… I wouldnt let that deter you if you want to take a suitcase, but thought Id warn you.. wierd eh how people judge other???

Good luck and safe travels.

• 17 Feb 2007 Heather83 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    I went to NZ on the Scenic South back in 2002 in March/April. While I was there there was good and bad weather but on the whole even the good weather was a little chilly, but Im from Perth so Im used to heat. If you are going on the Milford Sound be prepared for icy weather, even though some people went swimming/kyaking.

My tour was a combination of 2 and I only went on the first half but there were 40-50 people on it, a lot of Australians, then there were about 15 left on the second half. (I think)

On my tour there were people with both kinds of bags, though I took a dufflebag with wheels and it was a bit of a pain and I was only there for 7 days. I will be backpacking across Canada for 12 months so I will be taking a pack, so I cant comment about those yet.

Have a great time it is beautiful there.

• 2 Mar 2007 Jacqui said

Jacqui

Hay Rach,
    Sorry havnt got back to you sooner,
    I did my tour in Jan this yr and we had a full coach. most of the way. they drop people off and pick others up all the way. but mostly we were full.
    with your suit case you have to carry it on and off the coach so thats why I say take some thing with wheels. @ queens town there are 3 flights of steps to get up and down. my case did not have wheeles and it weigh over 16kg, not good!
    jacq

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.