Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Eastern Road vs Berlin to Budapest

20 Nov 2008 Yogi said

Default_avatar
Hi there Contikites (did I just make up a word?)

I have been on a tour before - European Panorama in July of 2007 - was the best trip I have ever been on! Had a fab time!

Was thinking of goin back to Europe next year and seeing part of Europe I havent seen yet - Eastern Europe. Was thinking eith the Eastern Road or the Berlin to Budapest tour.

Anyone who has been on these tours could please give me their opinion! Thanks so much!
  • 25 Nov 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

I would definitely recommend the Eastern Road. Poland is an amazing city with so much history, if you’re going all that way, might as well take the couple of extra days to check it out.

Only thing, return leg from Warsaw to Berlin is looooong, like 8 hours. If you’re staying in Berlin a bit before the tour starts maybe end the trip in Warsaw and spend an extra day or two there.

• 1 Jan 2009 neilguha said

neilguha

Hey PinaI,

It seems you have taken this trip already. Need some info.

I’m booked on the eastern road trip in June’ 09. Never done a contiki trip, so super excited to go. I won’t be reaching Berlin early. My trip ends on a Wed. No point in going back to the US before Sunday. So, I have 3-4 days to spend. I’m a little torn between the following.
    1. coming back to Berlin from Warsaw in the bus and spending time in Berlin…maybe take a short trip to Nuremberg or Hamburg etc
    2. Staying back in Warsaw and maybe taking a short trip to one of the neighboring cities.

Which option would give me more to see after the stuff I’ve already seen through the contiki trip?

Many thanks in advance,
    Neil

• 4 Jan 2009 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by neilguha:
    Hey PinaI,

It seems you have taken this trip already. Need some info.

I’m booked on the eastern road trip in June’ 09. Never done a contiki trip, so super excited to go. I won’t be reaching Berlin early. My trip ends on a Wed. No point in going back to the US before Sunday. So, I have 3-4 days to spend. I’m a little torn between the following.
    1. coming back to Berlin from Warsaw in the bus and spending time in Berlin…maybe take a short trip to Nuremberg or Hamburg etc
    2. Staying back in Warsaw and maybe taking a short trip to one of the neighboring cities.

Which option would give me more to see after the stuff I’ve already seen through the contiki trip?

Many thanks in advance,
    Neil

Hi Neil

Tough call but, if you’re not going to be in Berlin for long before, then I’d head back to Germany.

Both Nuremberg and Hamburg are beautiful little cities so, if you can do a day trip or two that’d be good.

You will have seen most of Berlin (by the looks of it) on days one and two. Just make sure you use your first full-day there, on your own, to see things you’re not seeing on tour on day two. Maybe go to the wall so you can spend longer there and the Parliament is good too. I would even look into a city tour that encompasses some of the things Contiki might miss.

I didn’t really go anywhere else around Warsaw so can’t comment on the cities nearby. I guess it’s a personal choice, ie: if you find a day/two-day tour you’d like to do near Warsaw then stay in Poland.

The other thing to consider is flights home; I suspect getting home from Berlin would be easier than from Warsaw?

Hope this helps.

• 5 Jan 2009 Jason said

Default_avatar

The Easter Road tour is great. I had a great time, all right I had a fantastic time. Met some really great people, saw some great food and ate a lot of pork and potatoes. I’m jealous.

When I did the Eastern Road tour in 06 the tour ended in Berlin. The bus ride wasn’t bad. Though I’m used to long car rides. I didn’t think I’d like Poland but I was totally blown away by the trip. If this was your first time in Berlin I’d say go back to Berlin but I don’t know how many opportunities you’d have to visit Poland. It’s a toss up, both with great places to visit.

Jason

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion