Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Stonehenge

27 Aug 2008 Migwell said

Default_avatar
Can someone that has went to Stonehenge through Contiki answer some questions for me? On the website it said that it cost 6.5 Pounds. I am assuming that does not take into account the transportation to get there? How long does the tour take? Is it worth it?
  • 27 Aug 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I cant say I did the contiki one, but I did a day trip (guided with Evan Evans) out to stonehenge, salisbury cathedral, and windsor castle for somewhere around 60 pounds with transportation. As for its worth, YES! It is in the middle of nowhere, and the only thing to see, but it is remarkable anyway even if it only takes 45 minutes to fully enjoy it. The only way I’d say not to do it is if you are strapped for cash, but I really liked it.

• 27 Aug 2008 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Stonehenge is fantastic! It’s a UNESCO World Heritage site and in my opinion it is a “must do” if you are in the UK if you are interested at all in the history/culture of the places you’re visiting.

• 27 Aug 2008 Helen said

Default_avatar

Up till now I thought they were all fenced off and that you could only look at them from a distance… Sorry Matty but I just wanted to double/triple check… you can actually walk amongst the stones? That’s great if it’s true!

• 27 Aug 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

Stonehenge is roped off. If you go with a private group you can book up close and personal tours with the stones where you go in the ring and can touch them. The rope is very low to the ground (maybe 1/3 meter) and does not disturb anything. The path you walk around varies in distance from the stones. Maybe 3 or 4 meters at closest to 20-30 meters at the furthest point. Here is my album I took from all directions at stonehenge so you can get an idea of the distance at various points, plus what the rope looks like.

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2089629&l=1df0c&id=21902759

• 27 Aug 2008 Janelle said

Default_avatar

we’re also doing an Evan and Evans Tour while there. going to Stonehenge, Oxford and Windsor and you can choose to either pay to go into stonehenge or just look from the road

• 27 Aug 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Seems Evan and Evans tours are popular for visiting Stonehenge! 3 of us are going on the tour you mentioned Janelle, in September!

• 27 Aug 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Walk thru Stone Henge. Virtually digitized from 436 actual photos.

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=e5c7e730-95a3-4a29-a38e-d0d23223844e

Only works on Internet Explorer and requires 8MB Microsoft pluging for Internet Explorer.

press “f” then “p”. Look for the halo in the middle of the pic, hold the left mouse button down and whip the mouse around. Many more maneouvering options available.

- Vic

• 28 Aug 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

Well, i have to admit, i was disappointed when I went to Stonehenge last time I was in England- not in the stones themselves, just in the way that they had become this giant tacky tourist attraction with an information kiosk, giant carpark and worksheets for the kids. It probably sounds really dumb and corny but I expected to walk amongst a mysterious stone circle in the middle of abandoned field (like my parents told me it was when they went in the 1970s!), but with all the tourist stuff the magic was gone for me Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->
    That being said I’m still doing it as part of that contiki package- because I haven’t been to Bath and maybe I’ll like stonehenge better a second time Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    And even if I’d known it was touristy which i should have expected it to be, I still wouldn’t have missed out on seeing it (I was a tourist after all!).

• 28 Aug 2008 Migwell said

Default_avatar

Thanks for all the responses.

I am going on the London, Paris + Rome on October 17th. It show’s on Contiki’s website that it is an optional excursion. Mattyv, Does that mean it is part of the itineray? One last question. How long is the round trip?

• 28 Aug 2008 Migwell said

Default_avatar

Thanks Mattyv. Now I know why you are the favorite moderator on the Contiki boards.

• 28 Aug 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I dont know when they are doing it, but I seem to recall hearing somewhere they are trying to relocate that road near stonehenge and the parking lot further away so that there are no cars driving by and everything is gone away from the stones. I didn’t mind the road being close though.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion