Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


going out at night

19 May 2008 Olivia1987 said

Hi guys, just wondering what thoughts people have about what to bring when going out at night as in to pubs/nightclubs etc.? is it safe to leave passports and other travel documents at the hostel locked in our suitcase or is it advisable to bring these with us? i have bought a pouch thing that is meant to be strapped around the stomach. hope that makes sense?<BR><BR>Olivia
  • Read the responses 9 responses so far
  • 19 May 2008 Curtis71 said


    You should have your passport on you at all times. Without it, you are no better than an illegal immigrant. Besides, if they want ID to let you into the pub or club then you’ll have to show it.

  • 19 May 2008 PinaI said


    Definitely ON YOU at all times.

    Keep a photocopy in your suitcase and, if you can, scan your passport and email it to yourself as backup too.

  • 19 May 2008 Princessvixen said


    A person without a passport is a person without a home!I would never ever leave my passport in a hotel or anywhere else as it can get stolen. As others have said you will need it for ID and as a tourist if you don’t have ID and get arrested or worse you are in big trouble!


  • 19 May 2008 work2travel said


    Wow- this thread really blows me away.
    I personally do not bring my passport out with me unless I know I’ll be changing money or making a major credit card purchase. I’ve never brought it out at night to dinner/clubbing, etc. Having a photocopy along with a driver’s license has always been enough for me.

  • 20 May 2008 Miss Jane said

    Miss Jane

    I personally wouldnt leave it at the hotel. Although you may not need it you might and hotels/ hostels and campsites are not always 100% safe…If you are one that’s not likely to get so drunk youll lose it I would bring it for sure.

  • 20 May 2008 Danni said


    Aren’t all rooms suppose to have a safe?? or at the very least the establisement have a safe box which you can use? i thought this was a legal requirement……

    I wasnt planning on taking it out at night with me…

  • 20 May 2008 Mattchew said


    I Think that just a colour Photo copy of your passport would do? and A Drivers Licence…

    Thats what im thinking of taking When im off to a Pub or club…

  • 20 May 2008 chantelle said


    well i know for sure that i will lose my passport iof i bring it with me out at night…. its a really hard decision. arent hotel safes safe enough?

  • 20 May 2008 skip said


    hey all im 24 guy going on my frist tour from amsterdam to barcelona from the 18th july for 12 days can some one give me a ball park on how mush oney i need as, do we get to go out mush and drink etc?

  • 22 May 2008 Explorer1095349 said


    i dont think your drivers licence will necessarily be acceptable in europe un less its a european licence. and you probably cant just take a copy as like anywhere it probably wont be acceted as it could just be forged.

    you would need either passport or valid licence.

    i also heard you need your passport on you at all times. maybe strap it to yourself if you think you might lose it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Related Discussions

Discussions Details

Last response over 9 years

This comment was posted about over 9 years ago. It has been discussed 10 times.

11 people are following this discussion.

  • work2travel
  • Default_avatar
  • Miss Jane
  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • Mattchew
  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • chantelle
  • PinaI



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.