Community_discussions_small  

Question

ROYAL NATIONAL HOTEL - HOW BAD IS IT ? ?

14 Apr 2008 Vashnie asked

Vashnie
Hi, ive read quite a few negative reviews about the Royal National Hotel, London recently. People complained mor than once about the poor state of the rooms, untidiness etc. Is it really that bad ? Guys if you have stayed there please share your experiences.
  • 14 Apr 2008 Erin Alex said

Default_avatar

I had no problems when I stayed there last, the rooms all seemed tidy to me! It is a fairly average hotel but you get what you pay for. Plus it’s pretty convenient…russell square station is 2 mins away. I have stayed in far more horrible hotels throughout London!! Im going to be staying in Royal National again when i go back over at the end of the yr anyway.

• 15 Apr 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights way back in mid 2001. I have to admit the rooms were very small-2 single beds and a small desk/tv etc plus a bathroom. It is a very old hotel but it is clean and even though it’s quite noisey with the pub downstairs it’s in a great location and close to tube and all local attractions! Believe me if you saw Motel 6 in Las Vegas the Royal National would look like the Hilton!
    Cheers
    Lisa
    If anyone else needs travel advice email me at mysterygirl01@hotmail.com
    Grand Northern 27/06/08
    California Highlights 23/07/08

• 15 Apr 2008 Vashnie said

Vashnie

Thanks guys. I feel alot better knowing that. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Apr 2008 Krystal said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure I stayed there it near Russell Sq isn’t it? I was kept awake all night by people arriving and leaving, sheets were hard & rough and it was disgusting, but it wasn’t clean either!!

• 15 Apr 2008 shadjr said

Default_avatar

It’s cheap, so I didn’t really expect too much (you get what you pay for).

I didn’t have an issue with it, our rooms were tidy, they had beds, and it was close! Pre-tour, the two girls had a room which was looked over the main courtyard, so they got all the noise from people going through there, and another contiki tour leaving.

It wasn’t the best, but was better than the other hotel that we stayed in while in London post tour!

• 16 Apr 2008 Mel* said

Default_avatar

hey there I stayed at the hotel 3 years ago and the place was clean and tidy had no problems, also had a window facing the court yard just closed the window, didnt hear a thing. It is close to everything and I am staying there again in November.

• 16 Apr 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

It’s pretty average compared to the places you’ll stay on the rest of your tour.

• 21 Apr 2008 aussie_manda said

Default_avatar

hey i didnt have a problem with the hotel at all. beds werent fantastic but hey, good used to it when you’re touring! and they do your washing for a small fortune….we paid enuff that we couldve bought a washing machine back home for the same price!!! but we were happy coz we only had one washing stop on a 22 day tour. ohhh and someone died when we were at the royal nat…..the windows open completely, make sure you latch them coz a young guy got drunk and fell out….
    sorry to dampen the mood!

• 23 Apr 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

I also had no problems. For the price your paying to stay in a great location in London I think its perfectly decent. The rooms are a good size, mine certainly was clean, bed was comfy, it had a bath, and I ended up getting a room all to myself even though I paid for a triple so I don’t really have much to complain about.
    Basically London is pretty expensive. If you wanted something in just as good location for that little price you would be getting a hostel…

• 26 Apr 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

the royal national is totally fine.
    its just around the corner from russell sq station and there is an internet place down the road, also food like an awesome chinese place. theres also a teso nearby (supermarket)

really if you cant handle the royal national then your standards are way too high and you should forget about doing contiki.

• 2 May 2008 Virg said

Virg

question. is there a supermarket nearby? (i wanna go stock up on munchies for my trip when i get there, instead of paying a fortune at a 7/11)

• 2 May 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

hi virg, not to be rude but, if you read my post straight above yours, i mention a supermarket around the corner from the hotel Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 3 May 2008 Virg said

Virg

hahaha.. whoops! I read upto ‘testo’ and didnt see the supermarket park! ahahahhaha

eh well, tanks for answering for me! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 4 Jun 2008 Chillibg said

Default_avatar

Does anyone know how was the other contiki places? I’m doing the Euro Horizon in Sept `08

• 3 Mar 2011 Lisa the Explorer said

Default_avatar

Are there safes in the rooms at the royal national I’m a bit worried about staying in a room with a stranger and leaving my stuff there during the day???

• 19 Apr 2012 mel said

Default_avatar

I would like to know as well…anyone please?

• 22 Apr 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

the royal national is not as bad as some peoples review. It is Clean comfortable and located in a good location in london city and the price is pretty good compared to other hotels that charge you an arm and a leg for a room. It is also very convient as this is where all london tour depart from.

• 22 Apr 2012 Parie said

Parie

Good question lisa! anybody know if there are safes in the room? Thanks in advance!

• 22 Apr 2012 SHAUNA said

SHAUNA

Has anyone ever stayed at the Imperial Hotel? I am booked at that hotel instead of the RN before my tour

• 22 Apr 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve stayed at the Imperial a couple times, nothing fancy. It’s smaller then the RN so it’s easier to get around. It’s pretty basic but clean. It’s older too, but I did notice some upgrades to the bathroom the last time I was there, so they are keeping up the hotel. The staff has always been nice there. It’s nothing special, but there’s nothing wrong with it either. The bathroom is usually a toilet in one room and the sink and bathtub in a different room. I think there was a safe in there the last time I was there.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion