Community_discussions_small  

Comment

aussies moving to london in 2011

10 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
hey,
just wondering if there are any other aussies out there that are planning on getting a working visa and moving to london in 2011 ??

Smiler
  • 10 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Hey torz Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I am Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->. I’ve been thinking about it for a bit. I want to do it, try it for at least a couple of years. The good thing is I’m an EU citizen. I’ve spoken to a lot of people as well, seeing when the best time is to go, how to live over there etc. I am actually quite pumped to be honest.

For me, I’m thinking February or March, but I may wait until summer. A friend is going in summer and I may postpone to go with her..still deciding on that.

• 10 Nov 2010 Louise said

Louise

Hi there.
    I am hoping to move over there. I’m doing a tour from the 26th of July for 32 days but hopefully will be working afterwards :-)

• 10 Nov 2010 Flash 9 said

Flash 9

Hey There,

Im moving over in May for two years, starting with the Ultimate European Tour when I first arrive and then following a few festivals around Europe before going back to London to start working.

• 10 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Cool Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

What type of work are you going to be doing/thinking of doing?

• 10 Nov 2010 Flash 9 said

Flash 9

Im thinking of getting a stay in pub job at first- heard they are the best way to meet people and have a blast.

Other then that I was thinking of temp teaching (hold Bacelor of Ed) or at worst office Temp work.

What about yourself ideas?

• 10 Nov 2010 Kelli-Sian said

Kelli-Sian

Im a Kiwi girl but i’ll be living in london once my tour finishes in September should be a blast!!

• 11 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

Im applying for a uk visa next month! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    Im doing a contiki tour in march so hoping to stay on in the uk after that! Cannot wait! Just hope my visa gets accepted, but i dont see why not! lol

• 11 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Have been thinking on and off constantly about doing one all year, have finally decided I definetly want to! Just renewing my passport now, but once that i have that done I’ll gonna apply for my visa! I’m hoping I can go Late march or april.

Not sure whether it’ll be London or perhaps someone else, I’m not sure whether London might be a bit overwhelming.

• 11 Nov 2010 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

Nice Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’ve been thinking for a while my self. The thing is I really love Europe and I’m thinking of settling there for the long-term.

To start off I’d probably start at a pub. Then from there who knows. I think the first option would be pub and then after that who knows. I could even be a travel consultant lol, I would love that.

So many options..I also want to work in France, Germany, and Switzerland..that would be awesome.

• 11 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    Originally posted by LUKE:
    Have been thinking on and off constantly about doing one all year, have finally decided I definetly want to! Just renewing my passport now, but once that i have that done I’ll gonna apply for my visa! I’m hoping I can go Late march or april.

Not sure whether it’ll be London or perhaps someone else, I’m not sure whether London might be a bit overwhelming.

I know what you mean about london. But its a 2 year visa, so im thinking do a few months in england, northern ireland and scotland…experience as many places as possible Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 11 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar

hey guys..
    thanks for all the replies..

im planning on moving over mid may!!
    will probably do a tour first, i have already done a euro contiki and had alot of fun..

is anyone else thinking of moving over around this time?? im probably going to look for work in retail or hospitality to get started.

im an australian female from sydney!

• 11 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Flash 9:
    Hey There,

Im moving over in May for two years, starting with the Ultimate European Tour when I first arrive and then following a few festivals around Europe before going back to London to start working.

hey,
    your idea sounds a little similar to mine..
    im also planning on moving over in may..

where abouts are you from?

• 11 Nov 2010 Flash 9 said

Flash 9
    quote:
    hey,
    your idea sounds a little similar to mine..
    im also planning on moving over in may..

where abouts are you from?

Hey there Torz,

Im 25 year old Male from Perth.
    I have booked my flights for May so its all go provided no issues with visa.
    After Tour im going to spend summer in Europe doing a few of the big festivals like Palio De Siena an San Fermin etc before making way back to London.

So what tour are you thinking of doing?

Dan

• 12 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Karina88:
    quote:

I know what you mean about london. But its a 2 year visa, so im thinking do a few months in england, northern ireland and scotland…experience as many places as possible Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

I think London will put me out of my comfort zone the most, as I’ve only ever lived in large towns. I have been looking at Manchester and Brighton as maybes also. I’m looking at doing bar/pub work when I arrive, I have experience so hopefully shouldn’t be too hard to get into. I’m getting a bit too excited about this too early hhaa.

• 12 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Karina88:
    quote:

I think London will put me out of my comfort zone the most, as I’ve only ever lived in large towns. I have been looking at Manchester and Brighton as maybes also. I’m looking at doing bar/pub work when I arrive, I have experience so hopefully shouldn’t be too hard to get into. I’m getting a bit too excited about this too early hhaa.

when are you applying for your visa? im applying for mine next month, better get it approved!!! haha
    that sounds good. im probably going to do nannying or something (i have childcare experience) but wouldnt mind experiencing something different!
    and trust me, its not too early to get excited lol!!

• 12 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Hopefully next month also! I am just renwing my passport right now, and then straight away applying for my visa. Hopefully I’ll have no issues. I’m hoping to go March or April at the latest. Fingers crossed I can get myself organised =]

• 12 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    Hopefully next month also! I am just renwing my passport right now, and then straight away applying for my visa. Hopefully I’ll have no issues. I’m hoping to go March or April at the latest. Fingers crossed I can get myself organised =]

Fingers crossed for us both! lol. Do you know how to exactly apply for the visa? are you doing the youth mobility scheme visa? i kinda get it, but then at the same time its confusing. like you apply online and then do you go somewhere like sydney, to get your biometic scans and digital photo taken and then do you send it all away to canberra? lol

• 13 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Okay well I’ve been googling the hell out of this visa trying to find out the details, it’s a bit confusing. From what I can gather, once your submit your application they give you details about your appointment for the biometic scans (I think at the closest major city) and once that is done you send it all to Canberra. I found this thread in a travel forum which has a few people worried about what we are, I found it helpful! :
    http://www.inthemix.com.au/for…wthread.php?t=241348

I’m still a little confused though.

• 13 Nov 2010 lexaust. said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by torz:
    hey guys..
    thanks for all the replies..

im planning on moving over mid may!!
    will probably do a tour first, i have already done a euro contiki and had alot of fun..

is anyone else thinking of moving over around this time?? im probably going to look for work in retail or hospitality to get started.

im an australian female from sydney!

Hey,
    Im going on two contiki’s through july/august and then heading back to london around september to live and work. Im going solo, im a female from perth, i have an education degree for work and im scared s**tless!! :|. Anyone who wants to keep intouch just ask, it would be nice to know someone!

• 13 Nov 2010 lexaust. said

Default_avatar

ahhh i forgot to mention im applyking for my visa in january apparently you cant apply to early and its never to early to get excited ive been planning this trip for ages!!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.