Community_discussions_small  

Comment

aussies moving to london in 2011

10 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
hey,
just wondering if there are any other aussies out there that are planning on getting a working visa and moving to london in 2011 ??

Smiler
  • 13 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    Originally posted by LUKE:
    Okay well I’ve been googling the hell out of this visa trying to find out the details, it’s a bit confusing. From what I can gather, once your submit your application they give you details about your appointment for the biometic scans (I think at the closest major city) and once that is done you send it all to Canberra. I found this thread in a travel forum which has a few people worried about what we are, I found it helpful! :
    http://www.inthemix.com.au/for…wthread.php?t=241348

I’m still a little confused though.

i just read that forum…i think i kinda get it now! lol. i wish they just had one official site that told you simply how to go about it etc!

• 13 Nov 2010 kristy said

kristy

hey all i havnt really been planning much about working visas n stuff but can you get one over there? im going to be travelling for 3months first and then if i find a job ill settle down.. il be in england in may first off.
    should i get a visa before i go? do you need one if you have an english passport? ect, ect…

and lexaust im also 21 from perth.. which part are you from

Karina88
    quote:
    Originally posted by kristy:
    hey all i havnt really been planning much about working visas n stuff but can you get one over there? im going to be travelling for 3months first and then if i find a job ill settle down.. il be in england in may first off.
    should i get a visa before i go? do you need one if you have an english passport? ect, ect…

and lexaust im also 21 from perth.. which part are you from

you need to apply for a visa in your home country if you are intending on working in the uk…but i dont think you need one if you have an english passport…

• 13 Nov 2010 LadyRainbow said

LadyRainbow

I’m in the process of getting my dual passport, so when that’s sorted, the sky’s the limit! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 13 Nov 2010 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

Hey Luke, I lived in Leeds for a year which was pretty cool too so don’t discount that if you wanna try something other London. Not too many aussies up there either so you will be a bit of a novelty, but I still reckon you should do at least 6 months in London, good luck guys!

Karina88

does anyone know where in sydney you go to get your biometric information done?

• 16 Nov 2010 SallyD said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Karina88:

The office to get you biometric data taken is near Circular Quay train station, can’t remember the exact address as it was 3 months ago…

• 16 Nov 2010 SallyD said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jase78:
    Hey Luke, I lived in Leeds for a year which was pretty cool too so don’t discount that if you wanna try something other London. Not too many aussies up there either so you will be a bit of a novelty, but I still reckon you should do at least 6 months in London, good luck guys!

I’m living in Leeds at the moment and have found the exact same thing. Too many aussies in London to be a novelty!

• 16 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    Originally posted by SallyD:
    quote:

The office to get you biometric data taken is near Circular Quay train station, can’t remember the exact address as it was 3 months ago…

whats the place actually called though?

• 16 Nov 2010 laurenash said

Default_avatar

im thinking of getting a visa and working till i can make more money to travel, just dont know where to start..arrh.

• 17 Nov 2010 StaceR said

Default_avatar

hi everyone!
    i am also thinking of moving to london 2011 and (hopefully) trying to find some work (in a hospital for me). I’m doing the 37 day euro adventure tour at end of may then based in london after that. living in sydney at the moment. just wondering, where are the best areas to look for rent etc in london?

• 17 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice about Leeds guys! At the moment I have been thinking about Brighton or Manchester, but I’ll have a think about that.

I also have a random question, does anyone know if it matters when your apply for your visa? I’d like it done asap (I go in April) just so it’s done, but I read online that if you apply too early before you go then you can be declined.

• 17 Nov 2010 SallyD said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Thanks for the advice about Leeds guys! At the moment I have been thinking about Brighton or Manchester, but I’ll have a think about that.

I also have a random question, does anyone know if it matters when your apply for your visa? I’d like it done asap (I go in April) just so it’s done, but I read online that if you apply too early before you go then you can be declined.

Luke, I think it depends on the type of visa you are applying for. I applied for my visa in July and didn’t travel til early October (my visa is effective from October, not when I applied).
    I have a 5 year UK Ancestry visa which is where a grandparent was born in the UK.
    The main requirement for most visas is that you have a certain level of savings to prove that you will not be a financial burden to the UK Government when you arrive.

• 17 Nov 2010 SallyD said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

The address is:
    British Consulate – General Sydney
    Level 16
    The Gateway
    1 Macquarie Place
    Sydney NSW 2000

You will get an email confirmation when you make your appointment with the address and other details.

• 17 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:

The address is:
    British Consulate – General Sydney
    Level 16
    The Gateway
    1 Macquarie Place
    Sydney NSW 2000

You will get an email confirmation when you make your appointment with the address and other details.

thankyouthankyouthankyouuu! lol

• 17 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:

you cant apply anymore than 3 months before you intend on travelling!

• 17 Nov 2010 Explorer1217696 said

Default_avatar

Hi guys!
    Im 23 from Brisbane and have booked my one way ticket to London at the end of May. I don’t know anyone and I’m going alone!! A little scary but sooo exciting! Just wondering with the people that are moving to london but are going on a tour of europe first…Are you taking all of your luggage with you on the tour or are you leaving it in London? I’m just thinking i would love to go on a tour beforehand…but I’m going to have a bit of stuff seeing as I’m Moving there. Is there some storage you can pay for or…???

• 20 Nov 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

I live near Brisbane Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m thinking of doing a tour to start things off as well. I’m pretty sure I’ll take everything with me on Contiki considering you can only take 20kg when you go on the airplane anyway. I am fairly sure though you can store your bag at Contiki basement for a fee? Hope that helps.

Also thanks Karina. That’s a bit annoying, I would like to have it all done just for peace of mind. Oh well.

• 20 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar

If you want to take more luggage you can store it at the contiki basement or the Royal national hotel (if you are staying there) .. That’s what people on my tour did.

It seems like May is the month to move over to london.. Im also moving over at the end of may and will be on my own aswell..
    Just deciding what tour to do before hand, ive done a contiki before and they are alot of fun!

• 22 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

Yeah tell me about it Luke! Its hard to plan anything until you know for sure your visa has been accepted!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion