Community_discussions_small  

Comment

aussies moving to london in 2011

10 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
hey,
just wondering if there are any other aussies out there that are planning on getting a working visa and moving to london in 2011 ??

Smiler
  • 22 Nov 2010 Explorer1218438 said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys
    Ive found this forum very helpful. Im pretty much doing the same as most of you, doing the european escapade (25days) and then working pubs etc..
    Im thinking mid april early may.
    Does anyone have any tips about where to live in london? what the rents like? Its such a massive move i dont know where to start!
    Im still tossing up between youth mobility and ancestary visa I can get either, any tips for which one would be better. And for the ancestary visa how do you prove you can support yourself? for the youth visa it has to be 3 months advance no earlier is this correct? what about ancestary?
    cant wait so excited!

• 23 Nov 2010 Marissas said

Default_avatar

Hey there,
    Yes I’m heading over in January working till april than doing my contiki tour, Than prob work some more.
    Trying to organise all my visa paper work now

• 24 Nov 2010 Stace said

Stace

hey everyone.im doing the same sort of thing 2 year youth mobility visa. going over in June and doing a 32 day tour then travel for a couple more months before looking for a job. hopefully i can find a job around london and a place to live around october time.before i leave im going to get in contact with some recruitment companies and send my resume to them.
    one of my friends who is already over there gave me this advice: Loot magazine and gumtree are two popular websites for finding a share house or apt.
    If you meet up with companies such as robert walters, they can organise a starter pack before you leave melb, often for free. This helps you get set up once you are over here, bank acc etc.

check out http://www.moving2london.com/

• 28 Nov 2010 Emmapaton said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone
    i’m moving over to England in a month, very excited but also very nervous as im going alone. Im doing a European Magic tour to start with, then hoping to work thru winter and travel again in Summer Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 29 Nov 2010 Millsy484 said

Millsy484

For those of you confused about the visa application, head to http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/applyonline/ and follow the instructions. I was kinda confused about which appendixes to print off or fill in so I just printed them all off and sent them; I figured I’d rather send them too much than not enough!
    The whole process is easy though; once you’ve filled in the main form and printed it you’ll be directed to a site to make an appointment for your biometrics. When you’ve completed them they sign your application and give you a list of everything you need to send to Canberra. Then you put it all in the mail and sit back and wait!
    I’m heading over in Jan, so excited. I’m kinda worried about finding work but I figure if I have to work in a shop/supermarket/Maccas, so be it, I just want to live in and experience London!

• 29 Nov 2010 lexaust. said

Default_avatar

Hey guys just booked my tours for june\july next year and im going to head back to london around august to live.

IM a 21 yr old female going solo though so if anyone wants to keep in touch with me? it would be nice to know someone when i get over there.

Flash 9- I have just finished my bachelor of education so i was thinking of working over there as well i hear its really good money…. but i have no idea how to start>?

• 29 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

I’m applying for my visa in about 3 weeks (have to wait so its no more than 3 months before i intend on travelling). I realllly hope it gets approved!

• 29 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    Originally posted by Millsy484:
    For those of you confused about the visa application, head to http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/applyonline/ and follow the instructions. I was kinda confused about which appendixes to print off or fill in so I just printed them all off and sent them; I figured I’d rather send them too much than not enough!
    The whole process is easy though; once you’ve filled in the main form and printed it you’ll be directed to a site to make an appointment for your biometrics. When you’ve completed them they sign your application and give you a list of everything you need to send to Canberra. Then you put it all in the mail and sit back and wait!
    I’m heading over in Jan, so excited. I’m kinda worried about finding work but I figure if I have to work in a shop/supermarket/Maccas, so be it, I just want to live in and experience London!

on that site you posted it says to have handy your address in the uk..what if you dont have one yet? like im doing a contiki tour first and then i was going to find something after it.. so what would i put?

• 29 Nov 2010 Flash 9 said

Flash 9

Hey Lex great to hear from a fellow new out teacher.
    Ive done a bit of research and the main thing is to just make sure you have all your transcrips and Bachelors Cert in order and with you when applying- you dont need Aus Teachers registration either so dont bother paying for that

So what tours are you doing? And where abouts you travelling to after they have finished- Im spending the summer making my way through the bottom half of Europe or wherever the warm weather is!
    Email is kx2fity@hotmail.com if you want to send longer message etc

Dan

quote:
    Hey guys just booked my tours for june\july next year and im going to head back to london around august to live.

IM a 21 yr old female going solo though so if anyone wants to keep in touch with me? it would be nice to know someone when i get over there.

Flash 9- I have just finished my bachelor of education so i was thinking of working over there as well i hear its really good money…. but i have no idea how to start>?

• 30 Nov 2010 Millsy484 said

Millsy484
    quote:
    Originally posted by Karina88:
    quote:

on that site you posted it says to have handy your address in the uk..what if you dont have one yet? like im doing a contiki tour first and then i was going to find something after it.. so what would i put?

I saw that too but there was no question on the application that asked for an address so I’d say don’t worry about it. I guess if for some reason it does crop up you could put a hostel/hotel down.

• 30 Nov 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Karina88:
    quote:

I saw that too but there was no question on the application that asked for an address so I’d say don’t worry about it. I guess if for some reason it does crop up you could put a hostel/hotel down.

ohh okay cool thanks. i was thinking of just putting the royal national address down if they ask Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 Nov 2010 SallyD said

Default_avatar

Karina88/Millsy484:

They do not actually check your address when you apply for visas. I simply put the address of my employer and they were not contacted at all.

• 4 Dec 2010 Stace said

Stace

hi. i have question just seeing if anyone will be able to answer.
    when applying for my youth mobility visa do i need to have a return ticket? i have only purchased a one way, i thought maybe they needed to see proof that your returning. it doesn’t suggest it anywhere that i have to otherwise, but just want to make sure. thanks

• 5 Dec 2010 Explorer1218438 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stace:
    when applying for my youth mobility visa do i need to have a return ticket? i have only purchased a one way, i thought maybe they needed to see proof that your returning. it doesn’t suggest it anywhere that i have to otherwise, but just want to make sure. thanks

Hi Stace
    Ive just purchased a one way and plan on ringing them to double check im applying for the same visa. When I get an answer ill let you know, otherwise the number is 1300 858 472 and you have to pay $11 with a credit card to speak to them, expensive but seems like worth paying.
    Im thinking you dont only because the youth mobility is 2 years and airline tickets expire after one year!! fingers crossed otherwise ill have to fork out some more money for a return!
    Hope that helps Danielle

• 5 Dec 2010 torz said

Default_avatar

hey guys..
    im pretty sure you don’t have to purchase a return ticket.. i have friends who have visa’s and are over in london at the moment..

it would seem weird to have to buy a return ticket, coz sometimes things don’t work out and you may return sooner than anticipated..etc

• 5 Dec 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

No you dont need a return ticket when applying for a visa or even if you get one..just a one way ticket..but obviously if ur visa gets denied you need a return ticket if you still plan on going over for a trip or something

• 5 Dec 2010 lexaust. said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by kristy:
    hey all i havnt really been planning much about working visas n stuff but can you get one over there? im going to be travelling for 3months first and then if i find a job ill settle down.. il be in england in may first off.
    should i get a visa before i go? do you need one if you have an english passport? ect, ect…

and lexaust im also 21 from perth.. which part are you from

Hey kristy!
    Sorry about the late reply im from the sawn valeey area yourself? What are your plans for europe??? im soooo exited not long to go now!!!

• 5 Dec 2010 kristy said

kristy

hey lexaust i thort you were some one i knew.. you sounded very similar. Im from Beechboro tho which isnt far from swan valley.
    im hoping to work in in the Greek Islands first before England.. Apparently you dont really need a visa to work at the bars because its all ‘under the table’ kinda work.

• 6 Dec 2010 Stace said

Stace
    quote:
    Originally posted by DanielleH:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stace:

Hi Stace
    Ive just purchased a one way and plan on ringing them to double check im applying for the same visa. When I get an answer ill let you know, otherwise the number is 1300 858 472 and you have to pay $11 with a credit card to speak to them, expensive but seems like worth paying.
    Im thinking you dont only because the youth mobility is 2 years and airline tickets expire after one year!! fingers crossed otherwise ill have to fork out some more money for a return!
    Hope that helps Danielle

Hi danielle,

Thanks for your help. That would be great if you can let me know when u speak to them.
    It does sounds silly to buy a return ticket, i ahve joust heard a few mixed messages about it. But think im pretty sure i don’t need too. Thanks also Torz and Karina88 for your replies.

• 7 Dec 2010 purple aphrodite said

Default_avatar

Hi!

I am a kiwi but I arrive in the UK on the 30th of April. I am going to stay in Newcastle. I am booked for European Adventurer on the 13th of May. Hoping to meet some cool people and get a job of some kind. I have a British passport so I can stay as long as I want to and work hassle free.

Looking forward to it. Am going to look for employment once I get there, and probably after my tour. Not restricting myself to Newcastle or the UK in general. Just planning to go with the flow!

Good luck!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion