Community_discussions_small  

Comment

aussies moving to london in 2011

10 Nov 2010 torz said

Default_avatar
hey,
just wondering if there are any other aussies out there that are planning on getting a working visa and moving to london in 2011 ??

Smiler
  • 7 Dec 2010 lexaust. said

Default_avatar

Ahhh i wouldnt be suprised if i know you!! or we know some ppl in common, i live very very close to beechboro!! have you got facebook

what are your plans for europe so far
    Im soooo exited about going on my two contiki’s, one of my friends will be with me for the first then im off by myself.I also only got a one way ticket as ill be getting my viza and staying awhile. You only need a certain amount of money in your bank account but no need for a return ticket!

quote:
    Originally posted by kristy:
    hey lexaust i thort you were some one i knew.. you sounded very similar. Im from Beechboro tho which isnt far from swan valley.
    im hoping to work in in the Greek Islands first before England.. Apparently you dont really need a visa to work at the bars because its all ‘under the table’ kinda work.

• 13 Dec 2010 Explorer1215389 said

Default_avatar

Wow seems like quite a few aussies making the switch. Im coming over in july pretty unorganised lol im in the process of getting my EU passport and still havent decided what tour i want to do but hoping to do a sail croatia and greek islands the first summer, im uunsure where to base myself for work, im happy to see london for a few days but happy to live somewhere else if it means better living , affordability and i can save so i can travel every few months .

• 15 Dec 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

I just applied online for my visa. going to sydney on monday to get my biometrics done and then on tuesday im sedning it all off to canberra and see what happens from there fingers crossed

• 15 Dec 2010 Explorer1215389 said

Default_avatar

Good luck im waiting to recieve my paper work back from poland then have to go to sydney to the polish consulate and fingers crossed they give my dual citizenship

• 20 Dec 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

I got my biometrics done in sydney yesterday. 5.5hrs on the bus there and back and it literally didnt even take 5 minutes to get it done..but oh well..sending it all off today! fingerscrossed

• 21 Dec 2010 Explorer1223488 said

Default_avatar

Hey all!
    I arrive in London on the 5th July next year.. I’m not sure if I should start work right away or do a tour.. Any thoughts?
    I’ve also been looking into the companies that organise the stay in pub jobs, has anyone heard if they are worth paying for? Or is it easy to find work yourself?

• 24 Dec 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

From what I have heard it’s not too difficult to pick up bar work (especially if you have experience) but I guess if you want the peace of mind of having a job already it might be a good way to go.

I applied for my visa a couple days ago and go to my biomedic appointment in a week. Wish I had organised myself a little better, but oh well. At this point I’m hoping to do the eastern road tour late April, then try and look for a job and all the rest mid april. A bit anxious about it all but hoping it will go smoothly Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 Dec 2010 Karina88 said

Karina88

Good luck Luke.
    How far do you have to travel to get your biometrics done?

• 27 Dec 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

Thanks Karissa! Not even 2 hours, I don’t live too far from Brisbane thankgod.

• 27 Dec 2010 Explorer1223679 said

Default_avatar

Hey guys, looks like everyone pretty excited! I am from NZ and came over end of May this year. I did a 20 day tour then found a job in Kent, live in pub work bar/waitressing.

I found it easier than finding a place to live/ then a job in London as I was on my own. And to be honest i wanted to do something different, ive never waitressed before! It is a good way to meet people, although i have felt a bit lonely at times, there was an aussie couple here for a while but theyve gone now and im the only southern hemisphere foreigner! It would have been cool to meet some kiwis/aussies in London to cure homesickness.

Im thinking of doing the Skitrip to Austria so im sure therell be a few Aussies on that!

• 2 Jan 2011 Nikki_Oz said

Nikki_Oz

Hi all. I’m a 23 yr old female from Brisbane and I too am moving to London in 2011. Just booked my Ultimate European tour for 17th April and plan on settling somewhere in London after that.

So excited!

I’m very very fortunate in that I can apply for a British passport (thanks mum) but still have absolutely no idea where to start when it comes to living arrangements and rent. I’m thinking of doing the couch surfing thing until I find somewhere – has anyone else done that before?

• 7 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

hey Nikki, have a look on www.gumtree.com , they have a list of accommodation like rent/shared housing and couch surfing. They also have jobs etc!

also, i got an email a few days ago about my visa. they said my application should be proccessed in 15 working days if there is no problems with it! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 13 Jan 2011 Karina88 said

Karina88

hey guys, i just got an email saying my UK visa has been APPROVED! it only took 9 working days. so happy, cant wait! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

they said it will be dispatched in 2 days..so prob wont get it until the end of next week.

• 14 Jan 2011 Louise said

Louise

Hi guys!

I’m a 22 yr old female from Mildura, Victoria, and I’m hoping to move to the UK in July. I’ve booked flights to get to London on the 18th of July, and doing the Easy Rider camping tour on the 26th of July. Hoping to start working after Oktoberfest (if all goes to plan). I’m in the process of working out my visa at the moment, so its all very exciting! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 Feb 2011 Explorer1225282 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone :-) Im a 20 year old female from Newcastle in NSW and me and my boyfriend are doing the 46 day big chill tour on april 19 then when we get back to london we will start working. Everything has finally all been approved so were both really excited!

• 25 Feb 2011 ANG 192161 said

Default_avatar

Wow i feel a littl more at ease knowing that there are so many other solo people planning on making the ost out of their time os, im going on the 21 day european vista on the 19th of March and other than that i have set nothing else in stone, i have my youth mobility already sorted so for the next two years (at least :) ) anything can happen.
    would love to hear what other people have planned once they get over there, where abouts they’re thinking of setting up first etc.
    what an exciting year 2011 is going to be!

• 26 Feb 2011 Tiffany Jane said

Tiffany Jane

Yeah I do feel relieved as well! I made the decision on NYE that this year’s resolution is to move to London and I’m doing it! I’ve booked a one-way flight in June and then I’m going to do the big chill tour on the 7th to see Europe, then come back afterward and work in London.
    I have been looking at those job recruitment places that charge $500 – $900 to set you all up but I’m wondering if it’s worth paying the money. Is it hard to get a working visa by yourself when you have no proof of employment or address?

• 26 Feb 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Tiffany, if you think you can handle getting the bank account set up, national insurance number etc, keep the money and do it yourself… You will need every penny! It’ll go very quick on first rent payment/deposit alone. You shouldn’t have to pay to find a role either… employers pay the recruiter. Best of luck everyone! ~Beks

• 27 Feb 2011 Earl Squirrelson said

Earl Squirrelson

Hi Tiffany, I think you are better off finding your own job through an agency which wont cost you anything. I used Kelly Services when i went over in 2007 and they got me a job really quickly

You need to get your working visa before you go which is easy.

• 1 Mar 2011 Stace85 said

Stace85

Hey Torz,
    I’m an aussie chick from melbourne!
    I’m heading to London in mid may with a stopover in Dubai for a few days first, going on the European Explorer tour leaving May 26th – June 14th then I have NO IDEA what i’m doing next!! :)

Hey Flash 9 what festivals are you following around?

Cheers Stace

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion