Community_discussions_small  

Question

How much money did you take?

2 Feb 2009 Anna_7 asked

Default_avatar
Im a kiwi girl who loves shopping and when I do go on a contiki. I am planning on going on the 46 day European camping tour in a couple of years and I need to have. As it is expensive enough to travel to the other side as the world I don't want to be too restrictive with my money and I want to enjoy my time and splurge on shopping when I find things I really like. So if your've been on this tour or one like this. I would really love to hear how much spending money you took.

Cheers Anna
  • 3 Feb 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

The general recommendation is 100 euros a day as a guide. Since you like shopping you’ll need to add to that. Also think about if you drink a lot (expect to drink more then you do at home). If there are any specific things you want to buy maybe budget that separately – like leather in Florence, Swiss army watch in Switzerland.

• 3 Feb 2009 Alicia said

Alicia

Another thing to keep in mind is – how much can you really buy while you’re over there? You may end up having to post a lot of it home or pay a RIDICULOUS amount for your luggage on the way home. Not to mention carting the stuff around with you all over Europe.

100 euros a day seems to be the standard advice but like cdm115 said, if you love to shop and don’t want to have to even think about how much your spending…budget for more.

I’m going for 29 days and am taking $7,000+ (AUD) spending money but I don’t plan on buying a whole heap of stuff – most of it will go on drinking and optional activities… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 2 May 2009 allyforbes said

Default_avatar

hello everyone..
    i’m bumping this tread up to save starting a new one…

i am planning on going on the 46 day european camping tour…and i have been reading up on how much spending money people take…it’s a lot…i didn’t plan on spending anywhere near $100euro a day..especially on a camping trip…

i am not a drinker so i wont be spending money on that, and i only plan on doing a couple of extra activities…

do i really need to take $7000aust to have a good time? =/

• 2 May 2009 AP said

Default_avatar

on the money front, did people actually take 5-7k or do you mean you spent that much. I don’t envy carrying around that much cash on hand, and am even less keen on leaving that much money in my main suitcase. Is it possible to carry maybe 1k at the most and use a debit card for additional purchases at most locations(mastercard)?

• 2 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

75-100 is what the normal seems to be. People have done it for less, around 45, but from the sounds of that trip the person in question was eating crackers/saved breakfast rolls for lunch.

As far as how much you should “bring” I brought zero pounds/euro with me, well other than a 20pound note I had from an earlier trip, and just withdrew from my bank account along the way.

I don’t think anyone is talking about bringing 5-7K Euros along for the trip, more just having it available in a accessible account.

Personally, what I tend to do is travel with two accounts, one I use as a “In-Case of Emergency” account that I keep around 500-1000 dollars in and another account for Daily spending. For the most part I used my Visa to buy things more than my Debit. Pretty much anything over 100euros went onto a Visa.

• 2 May 2009 AP said

Default_avatar

Thought so re: Carrying 5-7k, seems insane to carry that much money on hand.

^ but is a debit card useable in general in europe? And based on your experience if I’m going for about 30 days, 4 days in London and 25 days on the European Escapade how much would you recommend carrying before taking more money out?

Thanks in advance
    On my end I’d like to carry as little money as possible and spend majority via debit.

• 2 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

I normally had around 200-300 out, anytime I withdrew it was at least 200. Normally I would start looking for a bank once I hit around 50euros. If I knew I might not be able to get to a ATM for a few days, I would take out a bit more. In saying this though, I did make almost all my buys for meals and the likes with my Visa. Only time I used cash was for small buys or Lunch when we would split the bill.

As far as ATM’s you will be surprised, I found them more accessible in Europe than here in Canada to be honest.

Check the back of your bank card for the “Plus” or “Interac” symbols, mine and a lot of the big banks have both. To withdraw money all you need to do is find a ATM with these symbols on them and you are good to go! On my travel in Europe I have yet to approach a ATM or Bank and have not been able to withdraw money from them.

• 4 May 2009 KateS said

Default_avatar

I wasn’t planning on taking a LOT of cash… maybe a little more than $1000 Australia.

I’m hoping I can use my VISA a lot of the time.

Is this reasonable? Or is more cash a better option?

• 4 May 2009 Alicia said

Alicia

I wouldn’t walk around Australia with $1,000 cash on me let alone in Europe. I would suggest taking cash out as you need it that way if, god forbid, you were to get robbed you wouldn’t be losing such a large sum of money.

You will be able to use your Visa for most purchases so that reduces the amount of cash that you’ll need to have on you.

• 4 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

1000$ AUS transfers into about 550$ Euro, normally we suggest 75-100$ Euro a day. Even on the cheap end that means you have about 7 days covered right there.

If you are going on a shorter tour, you might be able to keep on budget, but even then I would still suggest you kick up a few more bucks for spending cash. If you are on a longer tour, say 10 days plus, I would really really suggest you try to budget more.

Visa as I stated above is accepted widely in Europe, you shouldn’t have a problem using it.

• 7 May 2009 El said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,
    I just got back from the WInter Wanderer a few weeks ago and I took 7,000 Aus which was approx 3,300 Euro – the tour was 24 days and I had a week in London (did not have to pay for accom in London already organsied). I spent it all but id some shopping, all option excursions and also bought a really nice watch in Italy..
    You know your spending habits better than anyone else though so go with what your comfortable spending and whats on your own budget..
    I also got a Travelex Visa debit for all of my money and this works as both Eftpos and credit card. I founf you always need at least 50 Euro on you in case (and its better to pay vash where you can and easier to keep track of your spending)..
    Hope this helps! I want 2 go back!! x

• 7 May 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by El:
    Hey guys,
    I just got back from the WInter Wanderer a few weeks ago and I took 7,000 Aus which was approx 3,300 Euro – the tour was 24 days and I had a week in London (did not have to pay for accom in London already organsied). I spent it all but id some shopping, all option excursions and also bought a really nice watch in Italy..
    You know your spending habits better than anyone else though so go with what your comfortable spending and whats on your own budget..
    I also got a Travelex Visa debit for all of my money and this works as both Eftpos and credit card. I founf you always need at least 50 Euro on you in case (and its better to pay vash where you can and easier to keep track of your spending)..
    Hope this helps! I want 2 go back!! x

Sounds like the €100/day is still stands as a very comfy level for an all-out tour – but w/o an emergency buffer. But everyone should know their burn rate and adjust accordingly. Open up a spread sheet and play with the numbers as outlined in #3 http://www.eastboca.net/EuroPan/BeforeYouGo

- Vic

• 7 May 2009 ***Stacey*** said

***Stacey***

I averaged around 100 euro a day and trust me, I spent it & I hate shopping Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 7 May 2009 Bec said

Default_avatar

We’re going on European Escapade which is 25 days.. then we’re traveling on our own around europe for another 2 months.. all up we’re there for 3 months exactly and are only taking about $12,000AU.. by the sounds of it we’re going to run out of money very quickly..

• 8 May 2009 Ash said

Ash

Hi there,

I’m going on Ultimate EU in August this year, all up I’ll be away for 48 days, so I am budgeting $200AUD/100EUR a day.
    I am then budgeting for all the options separate again – even if I don’t want to do all of them when I get over there at least I will have the option.
    And then budgeting a couple thousand on top because I know I’m a shopaholic for clothes etc (clothes and shoes will be my souvenirs).

I have saved really hard and so this money will be my ‘cash’.
    Of course I won’t be carry it as ‘cash’ I will carry it on a travelex card (which as someone mentioned previously) doubles as ATM and VISA but its MY money (like a debit card).
    I will then take some ‘emergency money’ as well.

So the thing it sounds like people have to weigh up is, you can take your own ‘cash’ and carry it in different ways (ATM Card, Travelex Card – perhaps do a search on these to get more info). Or you can get a credit card, and maybe be in a lil bit of debit when you get home Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 May 2009 KateS said

Default_avatar

Well to be honest, I didn’t exactly plan this trip… it was a spur of the moment thing (I’m already in the UK), so I don’t have thousands saved up to spend.

I’ve worked out that I’ll have enough cash for the few optionals that I want to do and enough for food… for everything else there’s VISA. (I hope!!)

• 21 May 2009 tiny_dancer said

Default_avatar

Hi All,
    I’m going away for a total of 121 days. Some contiki and lots of other stuff.
    … And have been saving for quite a while now. I have saved (or will have by July) the reccomended 100 euro a day to stick to what is reccomeneded. But I keep freaking out when people say that with drinking or shopping this may not be enough. Im sure that it will have to average itself out.
    … Also my brain tells me that if I was able to travel 3 years ago for 3 months living of $50 AU a day for EVERYTHING (food, accom, sightseeing, travel, drinks and shopping) which by the way was v. tight. I should be fine as long as I stick to budget.
    Mel.

• 23 May 2009 lizz_112 said

Default_avatar

hi all.

I’ve saved up all my moneys and can’t wait to leave (18 days left!!!) but I just realised that my bank has Mastercard debit, not visa.

Being a naive 19 year old from Australia who’s never stepped a foot outside her country i have to ask: Is Mastercard as widely accepted as Visa? Will I be able to get money out of the atm like mentioned above by all those people?

Thanks,
    Lizz

• 24 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

Mastercard is pretty well on par with Visa in terms of Acceptability, so you shouldn’t have any problem’s.

As long as your card is OK for Cash advances(some aren’t) you will be fine. Be sure to let your Credit Card Company and Bank know you will be over sea’s though, and let them know you will be using the Credit Card for Cash Advances. As both overseas Transactions and Cash Advances are pretty massive Red Flags for security issues, and they will freeze your account if they think anything is at issue.

• 24 May 2009 Explorergirl006 said

Explorergirl006

hey guys i am goin ont the european highlights(14 dayz) and aegan classic(7 days) and 4 dayz in london(hotel already paid 4) im just frreakin out a bit that 70euro isnt gonna be enough 4 xtra excursions and food lol how far does 70euro get you? im bring about $7000aud with me? help

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion