Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Eastern Discovery - New Orleans to New York Tour - HELP!

20 Jul 2010 SamKae said

Default_avatar
Hi there, my boyfriend and I are looking at the Eastern Discovery contiki for next year, for those who have been - is it good, what is the accommodation like? Any advice on this tour would be super helpful Smiler as its alot of money coming from NZ so want to choose the right tour!
Thanks
  • 24 Jul 2010 Aaron said

Aaron

You’re going to have an awesome time on the eastern discovery!
    I did the southern adventure in April, and that was amazing!! Hated leaving the tour half way through at New Orleans… I stayed friends with everyone though via facebook and they all had a blast on the 2nd half! So yeha youll have a good time =)

• 25 Jul 2010 em88 said

em88

So this is what i was told… Grand southern will take for eg 50 ppl, 10 of those might only be doing half the trip, which means they get off in New Orleans, which then leaves 10 seats for Eastern Discovery. So the eastern discovery only runs if there are people on the southern adventure, cos you get there spot when they get off. Unless no one books the southern adventure then i think your spot just gets saved!! Talk to your travel agent but i’m pretty sure that’s how it works! I’m doing the new york explorer which is the day after eastern discovery, then heading over to the west coast and doing san fran, san diego, LA and Vegas, then onto hawaii, so i wont be back on here till october! But i’ll definately update you with a full rundown on how it went! When are you looking at going?

• 19 Sep 2010 SamKae said

Default_avatar

Hey Em88,

Yay, im glad you enjoyed it and thanks so much for letting me know!! Due to my lack of savings I have opted to do the Eastern Discovery! How was the NY explorer – do you recomend doing that, versus just doing it myself around NYC?

What was the highlight of your trip – in the Eastern Discovery part? did you do any optional activities?

• 20 Sep 2010 Suzanne said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I did the eastern discovery and new york explorer last summer. had the most amazing time!!! if u have any questions i will be happy to answer them!

suzanne

• 20 Sep 2010 SamKae said

Default_avatar

Hi Suzanne,

What did you think of the accommodation, and what was the favourite part of your trip? Did you find it okay getting on a tour half way through the grand southern?

Was the New York explorer worth doing? in terms of sightseeing etc

• 27 Sep 2010 buddy said

Default_avatar

Hi Guys,

I’m looking at doing the Eastern Discovery with a friend in June 2011.

Would love to hear mainly about the optional activities – which ones you did, which ones you think are worthwhile etc..

Thanks!

• 30 Sep 2010 scott-australia said

scott-australia

the eastern discovery is good but the other half is better(LA-new orleans)still good though. New orleans is a good party place

• 30 Sep 2010 scott-australia said

scott-australia

new york explorer is definately worth doing i done it last year, dont do the movie stars tour though it was boring. helicopter flights are a must also and the beast is cool too

• 3 Oct 2010 Suzanne said

Default_avatar

Hi,

the accommodation was fine, most of the hotels had pools, but to be honest, you didnt spend too long in the hotels anyway. the only time was in a few places where there wasnt much else to do like cocoa beach in florida, and the hotel in washington was too far out of the main city centre. i paid a little extra for a room by myself, im a very light sleeper and would have been gutted if my room mate snored lol. the hotels arent 5*, but they are all fine, i would be happy to stay in them again. the hotel in miami is very nice, but again about a 15min drive from downtown miami.
    it was a bit awkward joining the tour half way through but u just have to make the effort to chat to everyone. dont let it put you off though. if i could have afforded it and had the time off i would have done the whole of the grand northern but i didnt. im so glad i did the eastern discovery though.
    the best thing about the new york explorer is the tour guide matt. its a lot of optional extras but u obviously get the hotel included, we also got statue of liberty tickets, empire state building tickets, food vouchers, and a subway pass. We also took the subway to brooklyn and walked back over the brooklyn bridge which u probably wouldnt do otherwise. a lot of people on the grand southern will stay on in new york anyway for a few days so people will be around if u decide not to do the new york explorer.

in terms of the optionals, i went with the thought that i was going to do everything so i didnt regret it. we didnt do a helicopter trip in new york because when we were there, there had been a mid air crash between 2 helicopters so they werent operating. and, the beast wasnt operating either. also, the cooking school in new orleans was a bit boring, but other people enjoyed it. i would very much try eveything cos u dont wanna regret not doing something. the best optionals were the airboat swamp tour in new orleans, the theme parks in orlando, the ‘booze cruise’ in miami (to be honest the whole of miami was awesome). you get time to do your own thing too, especially in washington. i had the time of my life, and would do the trip again i enjoyed it that much. im still in contact with most of the people on the trip and im about to book my next usa trip for next year! DO IT!!!!!

• 7 Mar 2011 Aussieangel said

Aussieangel

Hi everyone, I wish i was doing the Grand southern but Contiki took their sweet ass time to get back to me so i then missed out :( so now i am doing the Eastern Discovery NO-NY on 23AUG then doing the NY explorer the Next day 06SEP :) then after all of that im flying over to Vegas for 6 nights then onto LA for the LA Explorer 18SEP.
    Sounds like this tour is still great and i now cant wait till AUG and SEPT comes around!

• 23 Mar 2011 Zo said

Zo

Hi everyone,
    em88 what date does your contiki start? i do this contiki starting the 17th of May and would really like to meet a couple of people before i go.. :)

• 24 Mar 2011 Katy said

Default_avatar

I did the Eastern Explorer last year- loved it! As has been said before DC is amazing but the hotel is out of the way and a few of us went out at about 10 at night for a walk and got stopped by the police who said it wasn’t safe to be out! New Orleans boat tour is amazing and the Jazz boat dinner, all of Miami, all the parks in Florida, I’d give the trolley ride in Savanah a miss (I think it was Savanah but it wasn;t very good!) Everything else I’d do again! x

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.