Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Another money question... sorry

20 Feb 2008 Kathryn said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone.

I'm just really interested in finding out how much money everyone has exchanged into cash before they left. I am having real trouble figuring out how much to take in cash. I'm spending two nights in london before my tour starts, so i thought i'd get 100 pounds in cash. Then my europe tour starts on the third day - so i thought i'd get enough euros to pay my tour leader for the optional excursions.

Did anyone bother getting swiss francs for one night in lucerne?

and what do i do about this - after my europe tour, i'm doing egypt and the nile tour.... apparently, travelex have to order in egyptian pounds. Do i organise this at heathrow airport the day i arrive, so they will be ready when i leave for egypt? I'm assuming its better to take egyptian pounds than USD to egypt????

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks heaps
Kathryn
  • 21 Feb 2008 Melanie said

Default_avatar

Hi,

It really depends on how much you want to see and if you are a shopoholic. I think 100-150 Pound is reasonable for a couple of days, and if it is not enough, then remember you can use your credit card and you can withdraw cash from your eftpos card anyway. My biggest tip is to get a c/card (wizard mastercard is recommended as no o/seas fees) and put as much as possible on that, then when at an internet cafe, just transfer money over to pay your credit card. If you are in a dodgy sort of area, try and use cash because there can be some bad scams around. anyway, if you have cash left over from one country, you can swap it, providing it is notes in another country. No biggie!
    When you go to Switzerland, you stop at a roadstop that has an atm so dont stress about it.
    Can’t help you with Egypt as didnt go there, but good luck and enjoy your trip! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Feb 2008 Mic said

Default_avatar

I would just get money out from ATMs when you get to the different countries.

For my one night in (beautiful) Lucerne I just got enough for a cheap souvenir and a few beers at the hotel. I reckon Swiss money is the most attractive I’ve seen – my left over notes are a souvenir that always sit inside my wallet.

• 21 Feb 2008 Carli said

Default_avatar

one day in london i spent 100 pounds. i bought a hop on hop off bus ticket and then went into a whole heap of (expensive) tourist attractions. but the next day only 40 pounds. went to the free museums and concentrated on just walking through one area.

i suggest you get an idea of what you want to see in those two days and search the web for entry prices to give you a bit of an idea
    or try http://www.londonpass.com/index_attractions.asp?aid=155…d=155&WT.mc_ev=click

• 22 Feb 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

The US Dollar is readily accepted in Egypt, you would have no problem using an ATM or exchanging USD once in Egypt.

I usually bring about 100 euro and 100 pounds to get me started.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion