Community_discussions_small  

Question

Anyone take a small laptop ??

13 Jun 2007 daedge asked

Default_avatar
Curious has anyone thought about taking a small laptop with them to make it easy store photos and do emails or just bring a few memory cards and do it all when get home ??
  • 13 Jun 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

i was planning on it – but decided not to, didnt think it was worth the expense if anything happened

i did buy a digital storage device from Wolverine and i can plug my memory cards into it so i dont have to buy alot of cards, and spend money and all of those cds – cause I can sell this when i get back, but i cant sell cds haha

you can do the same thing with an IPOD if you have an adapter though

but like some one told me, you dont really want to be on your laptop when you could be experiencing europe …. and there’s always internet cafe along the way

• 13 Jun 2007 daedge said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by blondegooniechik:
    i was planning on it – but decided not to, didnt think it was worth the expense if anything happened

i did buy a digital storage device from Wolverine

and i can plug my memory cards into it so i dont have to buy alot of cards, and spend money and all of those cds – cause I can sell this when i get back, but i cant sell cds haha

you can do the same thing with an IPOD if you have an adapter though

but like some one told me, you dont really want to be on your laptop when you could be experiencing europe …. and there’s always internet cafe along the way

Thanks great advice !!

• 14 Jun 2007 Tenille_oz said

Default_avatar

Ok – if i were you, i wouldnt bring a laptop if youre just doing contiki and thats it. 1 – there’s not much time to be sitting around twiddling ur thumbs and uploading pics. youd rather be out doing stuff in each city. 2. you might lose it or get it stolen or get trashed and i dunno, put it in the pool!! lol. 3. take memory cards for your camera, you can take one and get ur burnt but sometimes its expensive to get it burnt. also, not sure if youve ever travelled, but when it comes to showing people photos, chances are they wont be as excited as you, so dont be disapointed if no one gets excited and just flip through them. hehe. enjoy your trip xo

• 15 Jun 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

I just bought one of those ipod camera adaptor things (from JB HI-FI for you Aussies wondering where to get one). I’m going to use my Ipod as a back up for photo storage, uploading the new pics every few days, but still keeping the pics on my memory card. My camera got stolen last year when I was away and I lost 5 weeks worth of pics AND I definitely dont want that happening again!

• 15 Jun 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Along with the reasons posted above, you should know that if you are flying to/from the USA, the TSA can search the contents of your computer and copy your hard drive for later analysis without probable cause.

I would never take a computer on vacation.

• 2 Jul 2007 Lindsay said

Default_avatar

The TSA cannot copy your hard drive and search it later! It’s call searching without a warrant and is illegal. We have laws in this country that protect people and the right to privacy. the TSA can’t search computers for there own amassment. Where did you come up with this BS?And when would they do this? Thay are not going to pull you out of line and illegaly copy your hard drive. No one who has any sense puts their laptop in checked luggage.

• 2 Jul 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lindsay:
    The TSA cannot copy your hard drive and search it later! It’s call searching without a warrant and is illegal. We have laws in this country that protect people and the right to privacy. the TSA can’t search computers for there own amassment. Where did you come up with this BS?And when would they do this? Thay are not going to pull you out of line and illegaly copy your hard drive. No one who has any sense puts their laptop in checked luggage.

I’m not about to stir up some US politics debate here, but this has happened before and it will happen again, regardless of whether or not the notebook is in checked luggage or if the search is legal. They have also been known to search the data contents of mobile phones.

Speaking of illegal searches, you might have heard something about unwarranted wiretapping…

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion