Community_discussions_small  

Question

Egypt and the Nile - Whats it like?

13 Nov 2007 BaBy_CaKeS69 asked

Default_avatar
Hey my husband and our friends and I want to go on the Eygpt and the Nile but we were just wondering if all the meals are included and what the tour is actually like for those who've already been...
  • 13 Nov 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

Not all of your meals are included, however many are. All your breakfasts are included, your lunches on the cruise, dinners on the cruise as well as most others. But we were taken to reputable places to eat (about $10 US for lunches) as a group and ate at the hotels for the dinners that were not included. The Oasis has a restaurant, it’s not great, but they had a decent food.

The tour was very good, a bit more upscale then the average contiki, in some ways more relaxing and in some ways more hectic.

• 13 Nov 2007 rebex said

Default_avatar

What about food for pescevegetarians?

• 13 Nov 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Looking at the tour description, this looks really intriguing! I was thinking that Spain & Portugal would be next for me but wow … this looks cool!

How was the quality of the food?
    Was the optional Ramses II at Abu Simbel tour worth the money?
    Are you in one big group for most of the time or do you get a good amount of free time to wander?

• 14 Nov 2007 Explorer1080128 said

Default_avatar

hey cdm115…nice site you have @ http://giraffegirl.net/

i gotta finish reading your review later today…its super long..lol

• 14 Nov 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

The food was all pretty good. The cruise was all buffets with I think 2 different meats, breads, salads and (safe)fruit. The food tended to be a mix of westernish and Egyptian (or maybe i should say egyptian food that would appeal to westerners), but as a picky eater I never went hungry. We didn’t have any vegetarians on tour , I could certainly see where in some ways it would be easy and other places where I don’t know what they would do. They will accommodate in some way, just not sure how good the choices are.

The optional to Abu Simbel is quite expensive, but keep in mind it includes a round trip flight. I’m not sure what’s more amazing, the temple and all that went into building it, or that they preserved it so well when they moved it. I don’t know anyone who regretted doing it.

You typically go as a group when sightseeing, just like everyone else at the sights – it’s pretty much all groups. You’ll get a tour or just a lectury thing then have some free time to look around. You’re sent out into the markets on your own a couple times and there is a bunch of free time on the cruise, both at sea and when the boat is docked. They really do take you to all the major sites, due to the layout of the sites it’s usually the only way to do it.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion