Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Adaptors, converters, transformers... oh my!

25 May 2008 muzio said

Default_avatar
So I'm leaving for Europe (from Canada) in, uh, a couple of days, and I'm just wondering which of the above (adaptors, converters, transformers) I need. I'm only planning on charging my camera and iPod (ie: no hairdryers, irons, etc.).

When I was checking out these at Wal-Mart I wasn't sure. The adaptor/converter kit said "not for electronics" whereas the transformer seemed to be for appliances like microwaves and TVs. The transformer was $30 and the adaptor/converter kit was $20.

Anyway, if you guys could let me know which of these things I need for my charging purposes I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
  • 26 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Ipod u need a computer or wall adaptor but im pretty sure they are universal…we use the same voltage as euro or close ebough so you wont need a transformer….only need that for the us…but even then most cameras now have a universal or switchable voltage

You should be right to bring just your uk and euro converters…thats all im bringing..had no problems last time

• 26 May 2008 Sarah Smiles said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Miss Janeo:
    Ipod u need a computer or wall adaptor but im pretty sure they are universal…we use the same voltage as euro or close ebough so you wont need a transformer….only need that for the us…but even then most cameras now have a universal or switchable voltage

You should be right to bring just your uk and euro converters…thats all im bringing..had no problems last time

Canada is 110v like the US, so muzio will possibly need a converter and not just an adaptor like the Contikiers from Australia.

Most ‘electronics’ now a days are multi-voltage. I’ve been going around my house experimenting and nothing has blown up yet Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> (I am the type that would be scared to plug it in even though everyone said it was safe!) Your best bet is to read the little information panel on the plug for your chargers and see. So far, my cell phone, laptop, portable stereo, ipod and camera battery chargers have all read 110v – 240v so they work with just a plug adaptor and do not need a converter. You can get the adaptors for very cheap individually so you don’t have to buy the whole kit. Just pick up a UK one and Western Europe one. Otherwise, if your chargers only say 110v, then make sure to get a good quality converter as the cheapy ones tend to break Wink<!--graemlin:;)--> Good luck!

You will not need a transformer unless you are planning to bring your vacuum cleaner or microwave with you on your tour Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

HTH!!

• 28 May 2008 European American said

European American

hey muzio,

you should be just fine with the adaptor/converter kit; no need for transformer.

most of your american purchased electronics such as laptops, digital cameras and iPod come with a built-in transformer, just flip over your AC adaptor that came with it you’ll see “input: 100-240V.. etc.”, you’re okay!

you will need the plug adaptor to plug in your electronics to the wall outlets in europe.

hope this helps!

you can also visit my site:
    http://www.whateverjourney.com/Plug_Adapter.asp

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.