Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Living and Working AROUND Europe. Not just the UK.

11 Apr 2007 Vivz said

Default_avatar
It seems everyone has their heart set on living, and working in London before or after Contiki. Theres so many great advices.

But, I was wondering if anyone has great advice for living, and working after Contiki in other places such as; Athens, Greek islands, Paris, French Rivera and Rome.
Or if you know any fantastic websites that will make my choice much easier? I've got excellent experience in both bartendering, and retail.

Is anyone else considering the same ideas? Smiler

Will there be plenty of jobs on offer? Or should I try a overseas working holiday?
I can't find any useful information for OWH in Perth. Does anyone else?

Thanks alot to anyone who can help! ;D
  • 11 Apr 2007 *natta* said

Default_avatar

Hi Vivz Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m getting a working visa to spend some time in London or Edinburgh after my tour. But I’d love to see some other places as well… I’d definitely consider working in the Greek Islands or French Riveria Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

Does anyone know if all areas of the UK are included in the Working Visa? Any places you can go that allow you to work without a visa (or if your visa has run out)?!

• 11 Apr 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    natta

- if you have a working holiday visa for the UK you can only work anywhere within the UK (ie: not in Ireland, Scotland or Wales as I believe all these places require different/new visas). You will be issued with a two-year visa but are only able to work for one of those two years.

Once your visa has run out, it’s run out. You cannot continue to work in the UK unless a company sponsors you to stay. If this is the case you will still generally need to come back to Australia and apply for a whole new set of visas before heading back over (this happened to a friend of mine, he’s now been there almost five years).

I wouldn’t recomment staying on beyond your visa without sponsorship because if you get caught you could be deported and then future travel to the UK might be hard. If you’d like to stay longer perhaps consider getting visas for places like Scotland and Ireland too.

vivz – I’m not sure about working in the other places you’ve mentioned but I can tell you finding work in Rome is hard. The unemployment level is high enough in that country as it is without foreigners heading in to steal their jobs!

To work in an office there you need to be able to speak, read and write really good Italian. I’m a first generation Australian (of Italian decent). I can speak, read and write Italian but even I don’t think I’d be suitable enough for office work over there!

Having said that, I too have contemplated working in Rome at the end of this year (after my next trip) and am thinking I might just try to find work in a retail outlet or tourist type shop. In these places they are killing for people who can speak good English but, at the same time, you also need to be fluent in Italian. In that sense, I think I might just scrape in! It’s still just a plan but it’s something I have wanted to try for years so maybe now is the right time for me.

• 18 Apr 2007 *natta* said

Default_avatar

Thank you PinaI Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m a little confused now though… do I need a separate visa to work in Edinburgh (Scotland)?

I’ve already applied for my UK visa… what cities can I work in for this one?

• 18 Apr 2007 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by natta:
    I’m a little confused now though… do I need a separate visa to work in Edinburgh (Scotland)?

Sorry, my bad. You can work in Scotland with the UK visa…

• 18 Apr 2007 clairecooper said

Default_avatar

what about cash in hand jobs? im not in London long enough to warrant getting a visa but still would want to get some money coming in while im over there . Is there any companies that would offer cash in hand jobs ?

• 18 Apr 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

I guess it depends on who you choose to work for – a smaller, perhaps family owned business might be willing to pay you under the table. Other options could be local delicatessens or restaurants/cafes but you would not be privvy to worker’s compensation if something happened.

Having said that, I would think that their Government keeps a fairly tight rein on this kind of thing simply because they know that there are heaps of foreigners wanting to work over there and they’d be making sure they’re all legal.

If you’re planning to stay over there for 3-6mths without a work visa you could have some trouble at the border so make sure you have adequate funds to prove you can sustain yourself without work in the first instance.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion