Community_discussions_small  

Comment

MY review of this trip

27 Jun 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar
Hello all. Just did the Golden Fleece from May 31 to June 8th 2007. Was a great experience being first time on a cruise.
My recommendations. If u never done a cruise before. This trip is a good way to do one as its a good rate for the budget and the excursions are really really great.
The ship you go on is kinda smallish but good, has a dining room, all u can eat buffets. A lounge, gym and a few bars. For 100 euros u get all u can drink package. The food on the ship was awesome. The service was good i would say.
For excursions. This is what to expect, if u never done a cruise but u done bus tours. The time u get on each shore is very limited. However u get a taste of everything. U get a lot of time in Istanbul but no free time. Its recommended u do the excursions as u get more time in each destination and best way to see everything. Do think by not doing an excursion your saving yourself some $$$. The Santorini excursion u must do. IF you dont do the excursion and decide to go on your own. U will be last to get off the ship and u will only end up with an hour on Santorini. For the other islands. ITs up to u what u want to see. For Mykonos, do the town then go to paradise beach. For Rhodes. spend some time on Elli beach and do the excursion as well.
Overall this was a great trip. Good way to relax and your already near your cabin and u can sleep and travel if u like. If anyone has more questions about the golden fleece. The name is worldtraveller and u can email me at
rescigno@tbaytel.net or koss78a@hotmail.com

feel free to ask me questions

cheers
  • 29 Jun 2007 rackova said

Default_avatar

Sounds like a lot of fun! I do have a question though, the all you can drink thingy… does everyone have to pay up for it? IE:// if your bunking with people and someone doesnt want that deal does it effect the rest of the roomates? What if you just end up with 2 drinks, do they pay you back the difference?

• 20 Jul 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar

All u can drink card. This is how it works. Basically theres a drink menu. Most of the drinks on it if u buy the unlimited pass. Most of your drinks will be all included. Including coffee and pop.
    If you without unlimited. Then the price of average drink is around 3 to 6 euros.

So on first day. Go to reception and for 110 euros u pay up front, cash or credit. Get yourself signed up for the drink card. Worth it if u plan to drink a min. 4 drinks a day .

• 20 Jul 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar

If your sharing a room with others. If someone in that room doesnt want to go unlimited. it doesnt affect everyone else. Basically the ship doesn’t want people to share a card. They will tell u that u have to have your own individual drink cards.

• 25 Jul 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar

The only complaint i had of this trip was of the tour manager. I have done several other Contiki tours and the tour manager was great. The tour manager we had on the May 31 to June 8 2007
    He seemed to be more interested in having fun for himself then doing his job. One negative aspect was as a tour manager should be promoting all destinations, sights etc.
    For the Golden Fleece for islands of Patmos and Crete. He told people not to do any excursions there as he said “theres not much to do on these islands and the main sights suck.”
    I explored both of those islands and I thought they were the greatest thing.
    As well trying to get information from him was hard. As he didn’t know the answer to many. Also he was very vague. First day of the Golden Fleece. He didn’t tell anyone the location we were to meet the bus. He said just follow me. ON route to the bus location in which no one really knew where we had to go. In the process 2 girls on the tour. Got left BEHIND!! as they were not told where we were supposed to meet. As well they got separated from the group due to the intense traffic in Athens. The Tour manager was too busy checking out all the greek men walking around the street and thinking of fantasies with them all! All the tour manager did in regarding the 2 lost girls was Say " if your late, u do get left behind" we took off without them.
    However they were able to get a taxi to the port.AT THEIR OWN COST, without any further compensation from The tour manager or Contiki. Gladly. They made the trip.

• 26 Jul 2007 rackova said

Default_avatar

Do you know what time everyone had to meet up to catch the bus? Since my flight is coming in late on the day im worried that the tour manager wont be able to find me or i wouldnt be able to find them.
    Thanks

• 27 Jul 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar

The bus leaves around 1pm on the day of the cruise. What day do u arrive into Athens?
    Take note of your itnerary. WHere it says DAY 1, that should be considered the day u arrive into Athens. Day 2 is when the cruise starts. DAy 2 is when u have to find the bus from the hotel

• 28 Jul 2007 Candis said

Default_avatar

Wow canada he sounds like a sucky tour guide…
    Im looking 4ward to just relaxing. So any optionals you think are a waste of time?

• 29 Jul 2007 Sally said

Default_avatar

I am going with a friend of mine in August and Can’t wait!! First timers wtih Contikti—- Really good info to know for when we go! Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 22 Aug 2007 jirasol said

Default_avatar

Hey, there is lots of questions here.
    I sent you a private email. But decided to write it out here as well incase anyone else had the same questions. The Grand Bazaar is closed on Sundays, did you get to go on Sat night? Same with the Hagia Sophia : or is the Grand Bazaar open on Sunday now. Also, when you say you get no free time in Istanbul, did you do the excursion with Contiki because I have booked a cheaper excursion elsewhere. We are not doing the Contiki Excursions here. Another question. I read on the internet that you cant go through Patmos or Rhodes by walking, you have to be on a bus. Is this right?

One last question: does the ship port or are we tendered in by a smaller ship to land? I cant seem to find any information about this at all.

Thank you for the Santorini info. That is most helpful.

I am sorry to hear about your tour guide. I know how frustrating that can be…we had a similar experience in Italy and ended up making a major complaint against her. SHE WAS HORRIFIC. My other tour guides have been amazing though. The good thing is that my husband and I dont really need them at all anymore, so it doesnt matter to us.

• 22 Aug 2007 canada-man123 said

Default_avatar

Hello to answer your questions. For Rhodes and Patmos. Yes you can do your own thing in those islands. In fact its better if you do your own thing. With Patmos theres no port so u have to take a tender boat to shore.
    For istanbul do the excursions. If u like nightlife in istanbul the clubs dont get busy till after 330am or so. Haga Sophia is open on sundays.
    any other questions. feel free t oask

• 15 Jun 2008 holychick said

holychick

Thanks for all the great insights..I will be going in July and wanted to know what you recommend in terms of money…would you say its best to bring money exchanged already or are there enough places to exchange throughout the islands. I’d appreciate any guidance on the topic

• 16 Jul 2008 rosiecotton19 said

rosiecotton19

hey holychick. I don’t know if this is the best thing to do, but what I have done is that I went to my bank and got 90E, and I had them load up a travel card for me (like travelers checks, but it’s reloadable and you can use it like a debit card). I just wanted some money to get to the hotel and to buy a phone card and not have to wait in line at the airport. Of course, you’ve probably made your arrangements by now.

See you soon! (I think- if you ended up booking July 23- LOL)

• 17 Jul 2008 holychick said

holychick

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 24 Aug 2008 Explorer1110715 said

Default_avatar

A few questions regarding money:

1. How much cash did you need to have on you during the entire trip?
    2. What do you NEED to have cash for (credit cards not accepted)?
    3. Where did you have to tip (maid on cruise? tour manager? excursion guide?), and what is the tipping structure in Greece?

Thanks!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.