Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Free time in london

8 May 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)
I’m doing a Euro Highlights tour that starts and ends in London so I have a day before and after the tour to spend there. Any suggestions on what to do that’s off the beaten path? Also, any suggestions on bars/ pubs / food, especially near the Royal National / Russell Square?

Also, has anyone gone to the Absolut Ice Bar? Is it worth a look or no? Thanks
  • 8 May 2009 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

I could spend a day on the British Museum alone! It is right near the hotel.

• 10 May 2009 BumbleBee said

Default_avatar

Pretty much the first thing I did when I arrived in London was to go on the London Eye. I only had the one day in London so it was a good way to get an awesome view of some of the landmarks I simply didn’t have time to go and have a look at up close.

• 12 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

Personally, I think one of the best things to do in London is to just get lost in Hyde Park for a couple hours.

Hop on the tube over to Hyde Park Corner and just walk end to end of the park, once you get up to Kensington Palace, head over to Bayswater Rd and walk up Queensway grab some food at one of the Markets, and head back to Kensington Garden for a Picnic in the Park, then when you are all done, hop on the tube at Bayswater and head down to Green Park, Walk through St James Park to Buckingham Palace, then down the Mall passing St James Palace to Trafalgar Square then down Whitehall to Westminster. At this point check out the London Eye if you want, then hop on one of the Boat Tours down to Tower Bridge/Tower of London, check it out, then hop on the Tube at Tower Hill back to Kings Cross, transfer to Russell Square and bang boom your done.

I did exactly that on my first day in London, I however was staying by Marble Arch, so the first/last tube stops were different for me, If you want a great place to eat in Kensington check out Mulberry Street up on Westbourne(stright up Queensway from Bayswater, take a Left on Westbourne and keep walking) they have honestly some of the best Pizza I have ever had lol I know London and I ate Pizza, Its what I do! There are also a few Pubs along Bayswater down by Inverness Terrace area.

Even if you aren’t interested in this idea, don’t force yourself to stay close to Russell Square, the London Tube is crazy easy to use, and very cheap, grab yourself a map and just go wherever, because Russell Square is pretty limited really, all thats close by is the British Museum. If you are into Art at all check out the Tate Modern or National Gallery. If you are into Jewllery/Textiles check out the Victoria and Albert Museum. There are something in excess of 200+ Museums in London, there has to be at least one you would be interested in going to.

• 13 May 2009 JenAS said

Default_avatar

Hey Andrea
    I also posted in the pub question section.
    I have been to London numerous times, but have yet to make it to Hyde Park….next time…

I agree with bumblebee. DEFINITELY do the London Eye!!!!
    The Tower of London is also very good.
    The British museum is good if it isn’t too crowded.
    I enjoyed the London Dungeon.
    I HATED Madame Tussauds…way over rated and WAY too crowded!!

As for food I always find the nearest EAT and pick up a salad or sandwich to wander around with, They are all over the city. Good cheap and quick. Just tell them it’s too go or it costs more.
    There is also a 24 hour Tesco Express near the Royal National, ask the concierge for directions at the hotel. It’s a 3 minute walk. They have a large selection of sandwiches, salads, fresh bread, fruit, as well as all the regular groceries. I usually go there and pick up a croissant and a piece of fruit at night for my breakfast.
    There is almost always a hot dog stand just outside of the Tesco as well.
    Several pubs along there as well.
    Around the corner from the Royal National is a pretty good thai restaurant, can’t remember the name, but if you walk out the front (not the back where the contiki basement is) Turn left and it’s just in that first block.
    Pubs a block or so off a main street are way cheaper for both food and drinks.

Here is the link to EAT
    http://www.eat.co.uk/

Cheers
    Jen

• 21 May 2009 tiny_dancer said

Default_avatar

Hi Andrea,
    As everyone else has already said there is a million and one things to do in london and they are all fantastic. … In regards to night life and saving a few bucks and meeting fellow travellers. Have you heard of sandemans new europe? They do walking tours in and around europe (which are fantastic) but they also organise a pub crawl in london, you go to a couple of bars and finish in a great london club. Link as below (i think) it cost 12 pound but that covers a free drink and entry to each of the places you go and you dont waste time lining up at each place either. http://www.newlondon-tours.com…view&id=18&Itemid=34
    Might be worth giving a go.
    Mel.

• 31 May 2009 The Pilot said

The Pilot

Ah! This was really helpful! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

quote:
    Originally posted by JenAS:
    Hey Andrea
    I also posted in the pub question section.
    I have been to London numerous times, but have yet to make it to Hyde Park….next time…

I agree with bumblebee. DEFINITELY do the London Eye!!!!
    The Tower of London is also very good.
    The British museum is good if it isn’t too crowded.
    I enjoyed the London Dungeon.
    I HATED Madame Tussauds…way over rated and WAY too crowded!!

As for food I always find the nearest EAT and pick up a salad or sandwich to wander around with, They are all over the city. Good cheap and quick. Just tell them it’s too go or it costs more.
    There is also a 24 hour Tesco Express near the Royal National, ask the concierge for directions at the hotel. It’s a 3 minute walk. They have a large selection of sandwiches, salads, fresh bread, fruit, as well as all the regular groceries. I usually go there and pick up a croissant and a piece of fruit at night for my breakfast.
    There is almost always a hot dog stand just outside of the Tesco as well.
    Several pubs along there as well.
    Around the corner from the Royal National is a pretty good thai restaurant, can’t remember the name, but if you walk out the front (not the back where the contiki basement is) Turn left and it’s just in that first block.
    Pubs a block or so off a main street are way cheaper for both food and drinks.

Here is the link to EAT
    http://www.eat.co.uk/

Cheers
    Jen

• 4 Jun 2009 BlueShamrock said

BlueShamrock

I have 4 free days in London before the beginning of my trip so I purchased a book called “24 Great Walks in London”. It gives you detailed instructions of how to get to each place, the length and amount of time it will take, and what attractions you will see. It also gives you tidbits about things along the way you would completely miss if you weren’t told – i.e. where famous people lived, died, ate, drank, etc.

It’s worth a buy, I can’t wait to go on a few of them!

• 4 Jun 2009 nurseniki said

Default_avatar

I know it’s cheesy, but my first day in London I caught the tube to Leicester Square and walked down to Trafalgar Square and looked around. Then I went to the Original London Sightseeing Tour, and bought a hop on Hop off ticket. Before I got onto the bus there was a walking tour down to watch the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Then I rode the bus around London and saw all the major landmarks. If I wanted I could get off take some pictures, or go inside at various landmarks, then catch the next bus and continue the tour. It’s great because you get a sense of where everything is in relation to each other. Highly recommend this.

http://www.theoriginaltour.com/

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.